Eng Crash On Camera

Partial information on the TSB report would leave you to believe that everything was ok other than engine, and pilot's report would have you believe maybe hydraulics failed, although the pulley/pump assembly were attached(albiet ripped from mounts). The instant yaw to left while having accumulators charged(although they only had 150 psi - should be up around 210-220 psi) would make the pilot believe there was a t/r problem as he would not feel any hyd feedback only loss in t/r hydraulic assist.

But thats where in my mind the problem starts, why would a pilot with his experience not recognize after the intial shock the loss in hydraulics. He recovered from the hover to forward flight, unless he's totally fkd up he would have had time to observe which warning lights were on and begin to feel the hyd feedback and regain control, this seemed to just not happen.

Maggs, is the possible damage to the engine the result of an overspeed, this would explain left yaw, and loss of control. If the pilot didn't rectifiy the overspeed soon the a/c would become uncontrollable. I know of a B1 that got wrecked on the ground because pilot put fcu lever in emergency while strobbing t/r. The mechanic told pilot to bring it up to 100%, pilot new to Astar thought he meant 100%NG. It didn't work.

Horns and lights from eyewitnesses are usually not reliable, but TSB can tell which lights were on at impact if the impact was hard enough to break the filaments in bulbs. I would guess hitting the brick wall was hard enough.

sc

Goodmorning All,
When doing winch training in a BA we do a full hydraulics failure in an OGE hover with high power settings. No giant yaw or loss of control. Machine is still quite stable and with a small increase in power plus forward airspeed the emergency is very very manegable. Of coasre in training you know the failure is coming. In real life a very different story.

Ya, you said it FF, not sweat when you know about it. Have hovered Ba, b in 20 knots wind downwind with no hydraulices, key word when you know it. Probelm is not folks like you who do practice it is the folks who don't.

Hmmmmm, pretty quiet out there, what's going on Maggie?

sc

I had an aircraft go into overspeed and the pilot shut it down and auto'd before it did anything destructive. He heard it spooling up before he noticed anything on the guages or performance/attitude wise.

any of the damage to the engine, such as the outward bulging of the containment shield could have been caused by an overspeed, but likely after the impact. You're at full power when you hit everything, then the transmission is ripped out, and there is no longer a load on it. The engine likely grenaded at that point. The compressor damage likely from the rocks and bricks it swallowed.

I had a pilot working for me once who didn't notice an underspeed while picking up a load until the low horn when off, was a converted BA and no one had noticed the horn was not updated, the horn was going off a 335 instead of 360. He took to load of seismic bags to a nearby lake(frozen), and did a runon landing towing the bags like a waterskier, didn't want to punch them off as he figured the weight was a good thing to bring the rpm up if needed.

Another dude up north earlier(not working for me but the big bird) was asked by the engineer to check that the freewheel was disengaging(strange but they had just changed it) we think he meant after shutdown. Anyhow the pilot decided, 40 minutes before dark, 80 mile from home with TWO customers on board to check it out and preceeded to shut down engine and autorotated into swamp, no injuries thankfully, pilot wouldn't admit to being wrong, said it was a training fault, and was relieved of his duties.

Not all pilots are created equal.

Am sure we will eventually find out more mechanical information as to what was the cause.

sc

Latest posts