Ex TWA Pilots win lawsuit against ALPA Union

What thread.... I didn't see any thread addressing this group of individuals with ballz sticking it to a laid down union?

The TWA lawsuit was posted in the "Pilot Seniority" thread, post #36...and as for the suing the TWU, no more stealing my money for frivolous lawsuits!!

Actually there is a lawsuit for DFR that was filed over a year ago by mechanics. The lawsuit stems from how the TWU (under Little, Videtich et al) conspired to lock Line Maint and AFW out of negotiations and strike a deal with Tulsa and Title II and get "just enough" votes to pass. In fact the company was very clear about that, and Don was very eager to get the company whatever they wanted.And that's exactly what happened, in the end they conspired to close AFW, and take more from the line than the company originally asked for and divert those monies for things for Tulsa and T-II. By doing so they were able to ensure passage by the Committee through either a standing vote or Roll call vote. Then with the assistance of their lawyers, their economists and the company, even the media, politicians and DOC in Tulsa, they pushed for passage by the membership, they won by 46 votes, over 1000 took the early out.

The standing vote was biased against Line maint because T-II with 2000 members had double the amount of representatives at the table. Line Maint had around 4000 mechanics yet there were more T-II reps than Line Maint reps, some of the T-II reps were Fleet Service Clerks. The roll call was biased because they used numbers from 2007. So stations like Tulsa that had lost 1000 members over that time span still had the roll call of those that no longer existed and stations like DFW(and most other line stations) that had seen their actual headcount go up did not get credit for those heads. This is how the International set it up, at any time they could have changed it, but the structure suited their desires, which was to screw line maint.

If anyone believes the company would have preferred to outsource more than what they got they are a fool, they company had even given us documents that showed that while there was plenty of capacity for wide body OH narrow body was tight, and their numbers guys admitted that outsourcing narrowbody would not be cost effective.

Overspeed likes to come here and characterize the lawsuit as a lawsuit by line guys against Overhaul, but the fact is that AFW was a party to the lawsuit as well. The fact is that the representatives from AFW and Line maint, and their members, were locked out of talks where more was taken from us than originally proposed. This was done as punishment because those two memberships have always been the most resistant against concessions and the major force behind drives to oust the TWU. Tulsa was very eager to see AFW shut down to mitigate the losses in Tulsa. They, and Don,  had zero interest in any discussion to try and save AFW.  We both were pushed aside so they could strike a deal with Tulsa and T-II and along with the EO be able to get just enough to get it to pass. Knowing full well that in the end they would end up with a deal in place that the majority  of the people working under it voted against it, they took our dues, paid themselves six figure salaries with lavish benefits and  worked against our interests. The Line guys and AFW were screwed by Little and Videtich, even some of our suggestions to mitigate the worst deal in the industry that would have also saved the company money were brushed aside.

There has been a regime change but that cant undo the damage, all we can do is try and insure that we change the structure to insure that we never end up with another Don Videtich running the show. We have to simplify the structure and make it more efficient, the smallest group should not be over-represented but should not be under represented either. Some changes have been put in place and the new regime has been receptive and supported those changes, the biggest outstanding issue right now is Title II line. They need to decide as a group. Do they all go into 591 and remain part of our contract group?  Do they all go back to fleet and either go in the FSC book or get their own book? Or do they form their own Local and get their own book?  But one thing is certain, we can not go one they way we are, this path has lead to disaster. Never thought I'd see the day where belonging to a Union meant lower pay, less benefits, less vacation, less sick time than non-union. Overspeed, who sounds exactly like Don, will claim that we saved jobs, the fact is he ruined all of them. Walmart gets no kudos from the labor movement because they employ more workers at lower pay with less benefits than other employers, no union should champion the same things just because the exploited people there pay union dues. When Unions retreat every time the company makes a threat you end up with Union workers working below market rates, you end up like us.

Its not surprising to see that Don has been less than eager to go work as a Line mechanic under the terms he put in place. At least Gless and the others showed up for work.

Sorry for going off topic but I needed to respond to Jager and AAnotok.
Done.

Reactions: 3 people
MetalMover said:
But what happens to their seniority?
I'm assuming nothing, since the suit was against ALPA and not APA, and it was settled. Had there been a ruling, perhaps the pilots could have use it to make another run at APA.

Reactions: 2 people
Bob, a lot of what you posted (#7 above)  is right on, and true.  I honestly think the membership is done with the changes.  As you stated yourself it will take more than just new leadership at the helm.  I think it is time to change the union completely.  I also think you already know this, and I also think you are leaning in that direction as well, but just can't come out and say do to your position.  With all that said, your post was a darn good one, as now folks can see even TWU guys know that larger changes are in order for the concessions and back door deals to come to a stop.  The TWU has had their run at AA (as far as mechanics are concerned), it's time to replace them, no other changes will pees the membership.  The membership, I think are at their bottom, they are tired, done, stick a fork in them, time to fire the TWU.   I do thank you for your honesty Bob, as you have always said there needed to be changes (drastic ones) to the TWU structure and way they are ran and controlled.  TWU officers and agents are paid WAY too much always agreeing with the company for well over 3 decades, it's time to move on.  Like us over here, the ibt got way too cozy with the company so we fired them, the same needs to happen at AA with the TWU, fire them and move on, you guys will be glad you did it.  We should have done it years ago, now that we have we never look back.  Good luck in the future you guys, your are going to need it.  Haven't you had enough, finally???

Latest posts