Expect turbulence with airline's stock

brokenwrench

Senior
Oct 27, 2006
www.amfadelta.com
December 2, 2007
Dear Mr. Berko: I bought 100 shares of US Airways in March at $52 and the stock is now $21.21. I read that JP Morgan and Goldman Sachs have recently recommended the stock. Why are they recommending US Airways now?

I was going to take a tax loss in December but wonder if I should keep the stock based on its "upgrade" by four of Wall Street's major brokerage houses. And I was also wondering if you think I should buy 100 more shares and bring my cost basis down to $40? Please advise me.

B.E. Port Charlotte, Fla. Dear B.E.: Perhaps one of the worst reasons to purchase a stock is because several of the major member firms of the New York Stock Exchange upgrades the shares. Today, the shares of US Airways Group are trading at $21.21 so it's not unthinkable that the big boys would sell into their recommendations. Those guys are always out to feather their own nests.

Years and years ago, before the war in Iraq, before the Tech Bubble, when the dollar was figuratively worth its weight in gold, before the i-Pod, the i-Mac and the Blackberry, Trans World Airlines' stock symbol on the New York Stock Exchange was TWA. Its service and scheduling was so bad that travelers suggested TWA was an acronym for Try Walking Across.

The New York Stock Exchange symbol for US Airways is LCC and its current price is off slightly from this year's January high. LCC's service is "boon" bad, its arrival and departure times are wild guesses at best and by the time your luggage arrives on the carrousel you could have had a drink, a steak dinner and dessert. And it's no wonder that Mingo Jones Jr., a former White Weld analyst, told me that LCC is an abbreviation for Lousy Common Carrier.

LCC's stock price has crashed over 60 percent since its January high of $62 while the prices of other common carriers have fallen about 25 percent. High fuel costs have impaired LCC's earnings as well as the earnings of its competitors. Still LCC should earn about $5.60 in 2007 and if the company doesn't implode, earnings in 2008 are projected to come in between $4.30 and $4.60 a share.

But those earnings are not the reason that JP Morgan, UBS, Merrill and Goldman Sachs have upgraded their recommendations on the stock. They believe that its drastic drop in market value makes the company an attractive marriage partner. And these crazies believe that LCC is worth $42 to $46 a share as a dowry.

But I wouldn't go within a 100 yards of this carrier even if I were wearing a biohazard suit. There's something pathetically and pathologically wrong with this airline that's "gate-late" about 70 percent of the time. US Airways is a Burger King compared to the Savoy in Paris, a Yugo compared to a Cadillac and a duck compared to an eagle. LCC's aging and fuel-guzzling fleet should be decommissioned and parked in Arizona's Sonora Desert Airplane Graveyard. And at least 57 percent of LCC's intentionally slothful employees, including management, ought to be terminated and given applications for positions at Burger King. Even after its silly merger with America West, which resulted, supposedly, in $800 million of operating improvements, unit cost at LCC still greatly exceed those of other carriers. In fact the merger will result in a substantial increase in labor cost thanks to union contracts.

Management's ridiculous new proposal for pilots will cost an additional $125 million, almost 25 percent of last year's operating profits. The collective IQ of LCC's management is still preceded by a minus sign! Consider management's new reservation system, which is the Mother of All Failures.

Web site glitches, huge goofs in its frequent-flyer program, terribly confusing data-entry instructions and check-in complications are just a few of LCC's reservation problems. And not even heaven can help you if you need employee assistance at an LCC airport reservation counter. Mingo Jones Jr. tells me that he always takes 10mg of Valium when he is forced to fly LCC.

Earlier this year, Delta management considered a merger with LCC partly because of US Airways's impressive and attractive nationwide route system. However, Delta, sensing that LCC's stick-house infrastructure could implode as it has several times in the past, got smart and passed. And another possible merger notwithstanding, I suggest that you do the same.

Please address your financial questions to Malcolm Berko, P.O. Box 1416, Boca Raton, FL 33429 or e-mail him at [email protected].

That was one of the most refreshing analyses of LCC I've read in quite some time.

Good good good.

So I'm gonna start flippin burgers for a living according to this guy. F*ck him! Let him come down off of his high horse and try what any of us do, and let him try to come out smelling like a rose. Maybe its upper management that has sucked the life out of us therefore, we don't feel enthusiasm, or a sense of purpose for that matter.

More of the same gloom and doom from the morons who act like babies when they get a 20 minute delay. Tell me something I haven't already heard you dumb truck. LCC sucks? SO STOP FLYING US! Take us out of your life completly, there are plenty more butts to put in the seats, TRUST ME.

Seriously if I saw this guy in person, I would punch him in the face for being so condescending.

You guys shouldn't praise him for this disrespect.

The numbers speak for themselves. I am sure if we have a good holiday travel period, which the numbers look far better than previous, the stocks will climb once again early next year.
I am really sick of the negative grumbles myself about US Airways. Seems no one is being the least bit fair, but I think mgmt is finally realizing the recourse of all this. At least I hope. :huh:

This guy is sooooo right! I hope management reads it. Can someone forward that article and the link to Dougie, Sherry, and the rest of the brilliant US Airways management team who destroyed the operation and made US the laughing stock of the entire aviation industry?

[quote name='PO'ed PHX Ramper' post='549189' date='Dec 3 2007, 12:44 AM']<SNIP> LCC sucks? SO STOP FLYING US! Take us out of your life completly, there are plenty more butts to put in the seats, TRUST ME.[/quote]
Hey kiddo, when you go see Santa at the mall this weekend better be sure to ask him for an infinite supply of Kettles.

Management's ridiculous new proposal for pilots will cost an additional $125 million, almost 25 percent of last year's operating profits. The collective IQ of LCC's management is still preceded by a minus sign!

Wow, this guy thinks Parker is nuts for giving back to the employees :down: IM sure every one of you Parker haters agree?

With open skys just aroud the corner may be some of the investment firms mentioned think things are going to be tougher at AA, BA and UA than at US.

"Analyst Neidl estimates AMR gets 50% of its international profit from London-U.S. routes, could also face serious turbulence. Since the airline lacks extensive Pacific operations, where demand is strong, any new competition over the North Atlantic will hurt. At a recent 21, AMR's shares are down from more than 40 in January and may well be headed lower. Any further deterioration in the U.S. economy could hit the company hard, since it has a relatively high cost structure."

Article says US/DL will make out with LHR open skies.

Wow, this guy thinks Parker is nuts for giving back to the employees :down: IM sure every one of you Parker haters agree?

With open skys just aroud the corner may be some of the investment firms mentioned think things are going to be tougher at AA, BA and UA than at US.

"Analyst Neidl estimates AMR gets 50% of its international profit from London-U.S. routes, could also face serious turbulence. Since the airline lacks extensive Pacific operations, where demand is strong, any new competition over the North Atlantic will hurt. At a recent 21, AMR's shares are down from more than 40 in January and may well be headed lower. Any further deterioration in the U.S. economy could hit the company hard, since it has a relatively high cost structure."

Article says US/DL will make out with LHR open skies.

That may be true, but I'm having trouble seeing how AA and BA will be terribly harmed by the UK open skies yet US and DL will do real well. Sure, competition may drive down fares, harming the privileged Bermuda II Four.

But if fares come down, thus harming the incumbents, then how, exactly, will the newcomers "make out" like bandits?

IMO, US-LHR was a real moneymaker solely because of the Bermuda II restrictions. Open skies will mean that only the airlines offering real premium service will continue to do well flying to/from LHR.

Anybody really think US or DL (or NW or CO) is gonna offer real premium service? If so, perhaps a random substance test is in order. B)