FAA proposes $395,850 civil penalty against US Airways

700UW

Corn Field
Nov 11, 2003
NC
Is BDL Air Cargo outsourced?

http://atwonline.com/international-aviation-regulation/news/faa-proposes-395850-civil-penalty-against-us-airways-0521

I would assume that it is. As far as I know all of the freight on the east has been outsourced for many years.

Sounds like unnecessary Government meddling into private enterprise to me. Governments typically seek to raise revenue through the regulatory process and this is no different. From the article it looks like nit picking, headline grabbing BS by a out of control federal Government. US should appeal the fine as far as they can.

• Banned
Um no its not, I guess you dont remember a little incident called Valujet because of Oxygen Generators not being shipped properly.

Once again your speaking of things you have no idea about, hazmat is a very serious issue and proper procedures need to be followed, go ask the families of the victims of Valujet how they feel about it?

Um no its not, I guess you dont remember a little incident called Valujet because of Oxygen Generators not being shipped properly.

Once again your speaking of things you have no idea about, hazmat is a very serious issue and proper procedures need to be followed, go ask the families of the victims of Valujet how they feel about it?

I know a whole lot more about Hazmat then you think. Having worked in the Printing Industry I worked with chemicals that could kill you so don't lecture me about what I do and do not know. The FAA is like any other agency. Paper pushers ungrounded in reality. Why do you think its nickname is the "Tombstone Agency"? because of events like ValuJet. The only time the FAA gets off their assets is when a plane turns into a lawn dart or they can announce a large fine. It's funny how you never read about the FAA saving lives. Only about fines.or the investigation AFTER you have 130 bodies stacked up in a morgue like cord wood.

Perhaps he wouldn't mind the wet cell batteries leaking the corrosive and eating a hole in the fuselage during a flight where he was a passenger. I would, but that's just me.

• Banned
I was witness and part of an investigation of freight that came from FRA-PHL-CLT, rampers in PHL and CLT were rushed to the hospital because of it.

It was a printers dye that was in powder form, and US let the plane leave PHL to come to CLT, I refused to go into the Cargo Bin and clean it until it was found out what the substance was.

And that powder was on people's luggage and US let the passengers claim their baggage, what if the substance was radioactive, not just caustic and innocent passengers or their families were harmed by it?

The Ramp Manager wanted the plane sent out, the maintenance foreman grounded the plane and a hazmat company came out and cleaned the cargo bin out.

Actually this fine is significant. The FAA is correct and are not 'paper pushers' and the shipper that offered undeclared hazardous cargo should be put out of business. And just because USAirways' policy is to not accept dangerous goods as air cargo is no excuse either. Their ground handling staff should be trained to recognize flammables, corrosives, gas-under-pressure and even magnets as hazardous cargo.

Real easy here folks -- if your family was aboard the aircraft you would want the airline to know exactly what is in the belly of the plane.

I'll tell you what other commodity should be classed as hazardous -- lithium ion batteries. That LH plane crash two years ago in RUH was caused by thousands of these devices on board. They generate heat folks. Feel your cell phone or laptop. But since the electronics manufacturers have superb lobbyists in DC...

A huge threat is what I refer to as 'e-Bay shippers' -- people who just want to ship it the cheapest way possible with minimal preparation. And these are not just individuals selling stuff on eBay. A while back MIT was fined $160K for an incident.

I have been IATA-certified for hazmat for over two decades.

So I do indeed know a whole lot more about hazmat than you think.

• Banned
When I was in Stores, we had to undergo a several day initial Hazmat training and re-certify every year after.

Thats the problem with contracting out your cargo handling, you have no control over the training the contractor gets. Back in the 80's & early 90's when our freighter ops were strong we were IATA certified and had our recurrent every year...When the company started pulling back the freighters we went out and picked up the CO & NW cargo contracts, never once did we have to show we were haz certified or even provide training.

• Banned
Plus the major thing is everything is presented packaged all ready so you really dont know whats in the box.

Plus the major thing is everything is presented packaged all ready so you really dont know whats in the box.

That's what struck me when it was stated as undeclared, was it presented on the waybill as a non haz commodity? If it was and the consignor is a known shipper, then the freight agent would have no reason to queston it...It may be something as idiotic that the original shipper did not want to pay a haz mat fee..

That's what struck me when it was stated as undeclared, was it presented on the waybill as a non haz commodity? If it was and the consignor is a known shipper, then the freight agent would have no reason to queston it...It may be something as idiotic that the original shipper did not want to pay a haz mat fee..

USAir only carries freight from known shippers so there is a paper trail. Follow it back to the shipper and hammer them! Just because the cargo came from a known shipper and was declared nonhaz is not an excuse to not question the details. There are known shippers who will only ship INCOTERMS EXW and believe all responsibility belongs to the buyer. Not so. Per federal guidelines.

Gee whiz what could have happened? Connect the dots to form your own story. Choose the dots that you feel apply or make up your own to fill in your own thoughts. Here are some dots to start with -- insider info--whistle blower--pay me now or pay me later--layed off--reduced station manpower--vengence--pay back--take that you dirty rats--I feel better now. Think you might see now what may have happened? Crystal ball fuzzy check back later.

Back