US Airways Responds to Proposed Civil Penalty from the Federal Aviation Administration

MCD

Jun 14, 2006
Hi Everyone,

I'm sure many will want to discuss this issue and thought I'd lead it off. In the interest of full disclosure, I'm sharing links and pasting a USNewsNow letter below. Thanks.

Morgan Durrant
US Airways
Corporate Communications

FAA Press Release:
http://www.faa.gov/news/press_releases/new...fm?newsId=10860

US Airways Press Release:
http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?...&highlight=

USNewsNow:

An Important Message from COO Robert Isom
Oct. 14, 2009

Dear Fellow Employees,

Earlier today, the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) issued a press release stating that they are assessing a proposed civil penalty of $5.4 million against US Airways. While this is a disappointing announcement from the FAA, some explanation and context is in order and I wanted to get that to you now.

I know all of you operate our airline with safety at the forefront of everything we do. There is an unwavering commitment to safety across our system that ensures we operate our 3,200 flights every day safely and reliably. It is important to remember that today’s announcement references situations that are in the past, and in several cases, date back to two years ago. This isn’t to make light of the findings or our corrections to those findings, rather it’s to say these occurrences are behind us, and today, we have improved upon an already solid maintenance program.

The FAA proposed civil penalty dates back to challenges we faced related to our America West/US Airways maintenance integration in 2007. The integration presented some challenges in the areas of inspection and records during 2007, 2008 and early 2009. Our team has worked cooperatively with the FAA to investigate and correct any discrepancies to the FAA’s satisfaction.

More specifically, over the past nine months, we and the FAA have completed a formal review of our aircraft maintenance tracking systems as well as a comprehensive review of our maintenance program. This collaborative process included efforts to identify the issues, drill down to find the root cause and develop comprehensive fixes.

Put simply, our commitment to safety is reflected in our exceptional safety record. With the FAA's guidance we are now a much stronger airline on all levels as a result of this process -- certainly our operating performance shows it but also our best in class performance on safety measures like aircraft damages and employee injuries. We look forward to a continued partnership with the FAA to deliver on our common mission of safety first. In the meantime, we are working with the FAA in a cooperative manner to promptly achieve a negotiated resolution of their civil penalty proposal.

In closing, I’d ask each of you to not let today’s announcement become a distraction to our mission of running a safe and reliable airline. Let’s acknowledge today’s news, learn from this process and now that we’ve fixed these issues, move on. We’re running an incredibly safe and on-time airline and US Airways people everywhere have shown they are capable of great things. Let’s keep it up!

Robert

The violations leading to the proposed fines occurred mostly in the OCT08 to JAN09 time period. Maintenance integration was in 2007.

Pretty long gap between integration and the violations.

The violations leading to the proposed fines occurred mostly in the OCT08 to JAN09 time period. Maintenance integration was in 2007.

Pretty long gap between integration and the violations.

That doesn't mean violations didn't occur in other time frames. It simply means that these are the ones the FAA decided to pursue, and that was probably because they were recent and the most documented.

Al Capone went to jail for tax evasion, not the rest of the horrendous crap he did. Why? That was the case that the feds could prove and put him away. Jail is jail, no matter what the reason. Same logic for these fines.

The next comment which even HINTS at an East vs. West argument gets the poster 2 weeks off. STAY ON TOPIC...

Any airline can have maintenance/inspection/AD compliance issues and there's probably not one that hasn't at some point or another, but this one was especially surprising:

"From May 22, 2008 to January 13, 2009, US Airways, Inc. operated one Airbus A320 aircraft on 855 flights while the aircraft did not meet the airline’s maintenance program requirements for an engine repair. US Airways, Inc. could have deferred maintenance of this item for ten days under its maintenance program but failed to do so. Fifty-one of the flights occurred after the FAA, on December 31, 2008, brought the problem to the airline’s attention."

If the FAA tells you that you neglected maintenance and you keep flying the plane anyway, it's like thumbing your nose at the FAA. No good can come from that.

Jim

Morgan, while I wish that the problem would not have occurred, it is refreshing to see a pro-active PR effort in an effort to acknowledge and own the problem. Good job.

Airline stocks gain as oil prices hit a 52-week high

US Airways could be fined $5.4 million for operating eight aircraft that were not compliant with various air-worthiness directives for a total of 1,647 flights. That included an Embraer 190 aircraft not in compliance for inspections to prevent a cargo door from opening during flight, the agency said.

See Story

Regards,

USA320Pilot

looks like we're going to get lucky today :up: , if it had been a slow news day this might have made national news , but with the DOW hitting 10,000 most major news outlets will be running their "dow hit's 10,000 " script that they've been writing for the last month .....

Look at the big picture.

Thousands, no, ten of thousands of dollars were saved putting off these inspections and repairs.

Wait scratch that, the repairs were done anyway.

Ah but the planes were able to keep flying and generating revenue, money in the bank.

But wait, the planes had to be parked and the work done anyway.

The big picture is best seen through beer goggles I guess.

rolling.gif

Maybe.

Latest posts