700UW

Corn Field
Nov 11, 2003
NC
Press Release Source: FedEx Express
FedEx Express to Acquire Boeing 777 Freighters
Tuesday November 7, 11:09 am ET
Company Cancels A380 Order

MEMPHIS, Tenn.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--FedEx Express, a unit of FedEx Corp. (NYSE: FDX - News), announced today an agreement with The Boeing Company (NYSE: BA - News) to acquire 15 new Boeing 777 Freighter aircraft with options to purchase an additional 15 aircraft. The decision to purchase the 777F was made after Airbus announced significant delays in delivery of the A380. FedEx Express notified Airbus that it has cancelled its order for 10 A380-800Fs.

"Global demand for air cargo and express services continues to grow rapidly and FedEx has made significant investments in our network to meet customers' needs and fulfill our business objectives. Therefore, it was necessary and prudent for us to acquire the Boeing 777 Freighter." said Frederick W. Smith, chairman, president and chief executive officer, FedEx Corp. "The availability and delivery timing of this aircraft, coupled with its attractive payload range and economics, make this choice the best decision for FedEx, its customers, shareowners and employees."

FedEx Express continues to be Airbus' largest wide-body airplane customer and will add additional new and used Airbus wide-body aircraft to its fleet in coming years. Six new A300-600 aircraft are scheduled to join the FedEx fleet in 2007.

Boeing 777

The Boeing 777 Freighter is the world's largest twin-engine cargo aircraft with a range of more than 6,100 nautical miles and a revenue payload capacity of 171,000 pounds. This represents a 2,200 nautical mile increase in range and an additional 8,500 pounds of revenue payload over the MD-11F, which is FedEx's primary long-haul aircraft. These advantages will result in more non-stop, point-to-point transoceanic routes with shorter flight times, enabling improved service offerings to FedEx customers. FedEx Express is expected to take delivery of four of the 777 aircraft in calendar year 2009, eight in 2010 and the remaining three in 2011.

"The Boeing 777F will allow FedEx Express to fly directly between major markets and hubs in Asia, Europe and the U.S. with more freight and in less time than it takes today, improving fuel efficiency and lowering total operating costs," said David J. Bronczek, president and chief executive officer, FedEx Express.

About FedEx Corp.

FedEx Corp. (NYSE: FDX - News) provides customers and businesses worldwide with a broad portfolio of transportation, e-commerce and business services. With annual revenues of $33 billion, the company offers integrated business applications through operating companies competing collectively and managed collaboratively, under the respected FedEx brands. Consistently ranked among the world's most admired and trusted employers, FedEx inspires its more than 275,000 employees and contractors to remain "absolutely, positively" focused on safety, the highest ethical and professional standards and the needs of their customers and communities. For more information, visit http://www.fedex.com/.

Certain statements in this press release may be considered "forward-looking" statements within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995 with respect to future events and financial performance. These forward-looking statements involve risks and uncertainties. Actual results may differ materially from those contemplated (expressed or implied) by such forward-looking statements, because of, among other things, economic conditions in the global markets in which we operate, as well as the other risks and uncertainties you can find in FedEx's and its subsidiaries' press releases and SEC filings, including the risk factors identified under the heading "Risk Factors" in "Management's Discussion and Analysis of Results of Operations and Financial Condition" in FedEx's most recent annual report on Form 10-K, as updated by FedEx's quarterly reports on Form 10-Q.

FedEx Express
Maury Lane, 901-434-4829

hello, amazing news.
just one question, will they cancell their 10 a380's they ordered or just cancell the 10 options

hello, amazing news.
just one question, will they cancell their 10 a380's they ordered or just cancell the 10 options

FedEx canceled its firm orders for 10 A380s. And I'm guessing that FedEx won't ever exercise their options.

Ced,
I believe that when somebody purchases acft then the manufacturer rewards the buyer with the "options" of extra acft with out a lock in. So no purchase = no option.
Take care ced and good to see that your pc still works :p

Ced,
I believe that when somebody purchases acft then the manufacturer rewards the buyer with the "options" of extra acft with out a lock in. So no purchase = no option.
Take care ced and good to see that your pc still works :p

hi speedbrake, nice to hear from you

i was a bit suprised with this announcement, that i thought that they just removed the 10 options and/or the 10 firm orders so obviously the 10 options. just wanted to be sure. i was 2 minutes later on airliners.net announcement. nice b757 and 777. like boeing amateurs like to say, with boeing you're always going.

have a nice one

What up 'fool :up:
Sorry but I couldn't resist that.

Anyway, that giant boeing would bea a nice addition and not to mention an improvement on our aging fleet. Even though I'm on the inside, we never hear anything until it goes public. The whole 757 thing was kept quiet from the suit and ties and now with the 777, I could only imagine that it was kept secret for obvious reasons, so that was a "double whamy" out of the dark.

they made a huge hangar in mem for the 380 i think, and all the special a380 gates all around the system, but one thing is sure, they might buy some a380-900, the stretched one and less range in the future and used a380-800 when they become available on the market.
777 will fit perfectly in the new hangar