First USAirways West IAE engine powered A321

I flew US 731 PHL-LAS on Sun 11/23 on a new A321, and from what I read that must have been tail #507. The airworthiness certificate above the door was stamped Sep 2008. Man that thing was CLEAN! I like the new overhead reading lights that don't just pop on and off when you hit the button, but instead they dim on and off slowly. They are also a flourescent (or are they LED) of some kind, with a higher color temperature that is more like daylight than a tungsten bulb.

I was in first class. The tray tables are not as deep, but plenty wide. The recline of the seats is minimal. Barely even qualifies for First class, sadly.

Alas, no power ports (which we all knew). No closets (which we all knew). No IFE (which we all knew). The novelty of being a new plane wore off before the door even closed......
flt 731 on 11/23 was operated by a/c N195UW PHL-LAS.

How long will it take to replace the 737's with 319/320's. When will the last 737 leave the property?
2012 , And all high time non E T O P 757's. Both East and West. To much maintenance air frame wise.

Back a ways, like sometime last year I think, there was an article in AboutUS that gave the long-term fleet plan. That said the 20 757's would remain for quite a while, all ETOPS. I don't know how many are ETOPS now or whether that long-range forecast has changed, but there are supposed to be 39 remaining in the fleet by the end of the year.

Jim

Back a ways, like sometime last year I think, there was an article in AboutUS that gave the long-term fleet plan. That said the 20 757's would remain for quite a while, all ETOPS. I don't know how many are ETOPS now or whether that long-range forecast has changed, but there are supposed to be 39 remaining in the fleet by the end of the year.
Jim,

"AboutUS" has the USAirways fleet plan? You gotta be kidding us, right?

Don't worry...my ego isn't so fragile that I can't admit not knowing something or being wrong.

Jim

Jim
thanks boeing boy. hope your having a good thanksgiving .

Yup - too much turkey and all the fixings then the mandatory nap on the couch.

Hope you had a great T-giving also.

Jim

I can't find the thrust, but I think they are about the same a the CFM. I wonder if they have more climb thrust, because that is when the CFMs really drop off and you start your 30 min climb to the low 30's.Even if they have more thrust, it needs more wing.

IAE's engine designation actually hints at the thrust level of the engine. in this case the Airbus IAE V2533-A5 The 33 denotes the 33,000lb thrust engine IIRC

I The recline of the seats is minimal. Barely even qualifies for First class, sadly.

Alas, no power ports (which we all knew). No closets (which we all knew). No IFE (which we all knew). The novelty of being a new plane wore off before the door even closed......

Welcome aboard the "NEW" US Airways

Are there still plans to convert some west a319/320 to EOW... I know awhile back they said they were going to re-number some of the west a319/320 and EOW about 15-25 of them.... On a side note I was on one of the older west a320s that had brand spanking new F/C seats(not covers, actual new seats) and recovered coach and new carpet and curved bins, just not new bulkhead laminates.... but they had place survival kits and lifevests onboard, but i checked and it was not an EOW "officially" anyone have the whole scoop here??

Are there still plans to convert some west a319/320 to EOW... I know awhile back they said they were going to re-number some of the west a319/320 and EOW about 15-25 of them.... On a side note I was on one of the older west a320s that had brand spanking new F/C seats(not covers, actual new seats) and recovered coach and new carpet and curved bins, just not new bulkhead laminates.... but they had place survival kits and lifevests onboard, but i checked and it was not an EOW "officially" anyone have the whole scoop here??

If I'm not mistaken EOW will be on the log book cover. Also you would have a slide raft on the door. Instead of a lolly pop arm- dis- arm at the floor arrow ,you would have a trigger with white and yellow lanyard attached. That would be in the direction of flight with the door closed. Twice the thickness of a slide.

Back