Gang's In New Orleans

local 12 proud

Veteran
Mar 5, 2004
Could more be done to help rescue the poor and stranded in New Orleans? sure but it is becoming quite volatile in many areas to even send rescue personnel due to snipers taking pot shots at helicopters, shooting police, and the lateset, shooting at firefighters trying to extiguish fires. I seen one building burning and a helicopter camera zoomed in on the front of the building, painted in Red spray paint were the words "LOOT AND SHOOT"! We need to send in armed troops to root these low life thugs out and treat them just like we treat Islamic Terrorist!

local 12 proud said:
Could more be done to help rescue the poor and stranded in New Orleans? sure but it is becoming quite volatile in many areas to even send rescue personnel due to snipers taking pot shots at helicopters, shooting police, and the lateset, shooting at firefighters trying to extiguish fires. I seen one building burning and a helicopter camera zoomed in on the front of the building, painted in Red spray paint were the words "LOOT AND SHOOT"! We need to send in armed troops to root these low life thugs out and treat them just like we treat Islamic Terrorist!
[post="295980"][/post]​
Could that fact that the crime rate in New Orleans, even prior to the Hurricane, is 10 time above that national average. Note that articles date.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8999837

Sure lets go save the TV sets and sneakers at Walmart before we rescue stranded babies. Thats the Compasionate Conservative American way, property is more valuable than lives right?

They should go in with the object of removing everybody so that they are safe and until order is restored, looters who interfere or shoot back should be shot but the object should not be to protect property. Its only stuff.

Bob my post was not meant imply we should save property first, I agree that saving lives is paramount. I simply pointed out while Real heros are trying to save citizens of N.O. they are under attack by the very people they've been sent to save. its pathetic what those people in N.O. are living in, but the Gangs and Thugs trying to disrupt the rescue efforts should be treated just like TERRORIST!

Bob Owens said:
Sure lets go save the TV sets and sneakers at Walmart before we rescue stranded babies. Thats the Compasionate Conservative American way, property is more valuable than lives right?
[post="296043"][/post]​

Insightful. Thanks for sharing.

local 12 proud said:
Bob my post was not meant imply we should save property first, I agree that saving lives is paramount. I simply pointed out while Real heros are trying to save citizens of N.O. they are under attack by the very people they've been sent to save. its pathetic what those people in N.O. are living in, but the Gangs and Thugs trying to disrupt the rescue efforts should be treated just like TERRORIST!
[post="296061"][/post]​

I agree, the problem of a few thugs needs to dealt with, if these thugs are shooting at the rescuers they should be shot. Even if the person is mentally deranged, they are not only endangering the rescuers but also those who are trapped.

The problem I have is that in order to lessen the damage due to the poor response of Bush some are trying to spin this to say that these people in N.O. dont deserve sympathy. They wont say it directly but will push images and stories that steer people that way.

For instance the other day I compared three headlines on Local papers. The NY Times, Newsday and the NY POst. The Times showed a picture of a helicopter dumping out boxes of water as victims rushed over to grab the water. Newsday showed a crying, obviously frightened baby girl but the Post had a picture of a police Armored vehicle, with officers with guns drawn driving down a road lined with victims of the storm with the headline "Rape and Anarchy in New Orleans". The NY Post, a paper started by Alexander Hamilton-father of American Capitalism, in order to smear then President Thomas Jefferson, has been part of the far right wing media establishment for years and its targeted audience is the working class. On its opinion page they rarely have two opposing opinions.

From these covers we can surmise the intent or position of the publishers.

The NY Times, was objective. Simply reporting the facts. People are suffering and aid is flowing.

Newsday appealed to emotion. "More needs to be done" is the message as only the coldest of hearts could resist feeling for that frightened little baby girl.

The Post however chose to concentrate on the darkest thing they could find. They sought to animalize the people of New Orleans as rapists and rioters. One would not come away from the Post Headline with a feeling of compasion , they would start off with anger at the people of New Orleans.

Thats why I object to the over reporting of the looting and reports of people firing at rescuers.

I'll do a little spin the other way to illiustrate how the press is spinning things.White people taking goods they did not pay for are reported as "finding food" while black people taking goods they could not pay for are reported to be "looting".

Its subtle but I think you get the point. The way things are said is as important as what is said.

Thousands are stuck, and unknown number dead, thousands still under life threatening conditions yet some choose to focus on a few shootings which is probably no more than what usually happens on a daily basis in any large American city.

As for the rape of the 7 year old girl, I heard that the rapist was beaten to death by the people who caught him. Justice was served amid the anarchy.