Gays not welcome

delldude

Veteran
Oct 29, 2002
Downrange
www.youtube.com
Owner within his rights.

“She told them the rules are on the door and it says ‘Welcome to Big Earl’s where men act like men, women act like ladies, no saggy pants and we reserve the right to refuse service to anyone.’”

“And so I laughed and I asked what do you mean?” says Dewberry. “And that’s when she said to us… ‘to put it plainly, we don’t serve fags here.’”

Homosexuality, Blacks, Hispanics — they all come in here — everybody comes in here to eat,” said Cheney. “I’ve served my country for over 20 years; I know what my freedoms are.”

He continued, “I’m not gonna have people coming in here with their butt showing; I’m not gonna have people coming in here naked; I’m not gonna have people coming in here having sex on the tables.”

Gay Rights Attorney John Nechman says there really isn’t any legal recourse for Dewberry and his partner to take.

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2014/05/29/gay-couple-told-not-to-return-to-east-texas-restaurant/

delldude said:
‘to put it plainly, we don’t serve fags here.’”

Wow, "fags"... what polite people.

That's fine, let them lose out on money and have their business go under. It's 2014, gay people have disposable income that is better suited elsewhere.

They're basically just Fred Phelps, but with a proprietorship instead of a church.

Reactions: 2 people
I doubt they'll go under.
Sounds like they were doing inappropriate behavior...which shouldn't be tolerated even if they're straight.
Besides, gay legal man says no case.

AdAstraPerAspera said:
Wow, "fags"... what polite people.

Well you really have to say these kinds of things when you run a business that proudly caters to rural white trash.  On the other hand, those guys should have had a pretty good idea what they were in for the second they saw the billboard.

AdAstraPerAspera said:
That's fine, let them lose out on money and have their business go under. It's 2014, gay people have disposable income that is better suited elsewhere.

That's true, but most of the gay people I know have more class and taste than to ever be in Pittsburg, TX, let alone spend money there.  I don't see the demographics there abandoning Big Earl, especially not after "taking a stand" and making the news.

AdAstraPerAspera said:
They're basically just Fred Phelps, but with a proprietorship instead of a church.

The difference is Big Earl and family aren't (as far as I know) out protesting pride parades and the funerals of AIDS victims.  They're within the law and within their rights to refuse service as they see fit.  If Collin and Kelley ever were to open their own organic yogurt and brunch bistro (with vegan selections) they would be just as free to deny service to every mullet-sporting mouth-breather in a tank top and NASCAR hat.

I'm still trying to get past the idea of eating in a place that sells live bait.  That just does not make it on my culinary list of places to go. 

Seriously. Homophobic owners are not enough. You have to come in and post on top of it? Just give it a rest already.

AdAstraPerAspera said:

And when controlled for other variable, disposable incomes above straight counterparts.

Josh

Reactions: 1 person
AdAstraPerAspera said:
Really? No hugging or kissing of any kind? They're going to be throwing out a lot of str8 people, too.

Said one was 'half way under the table'......funny, I can't ever remember eating like that in a restaurant. What was he having? breakfast sausage under the table or what?

Latest posts