Gays not welcome

Ms Tree said:
Please give me an example a belief that violates the law.
I gave you three. Polygamy, not believing in insurance due to religious belief, and borders being an arbitrary line that doesn't have to be respected.

Not really.  You gave me three actions that are a violation of the law.  You have not provided a single belief that is a violation of the law.  Someone can believe in Polygamy and not act on it and not be in violation of any law.  NAMBLA believes in changing the laws regarding consent and are not in violation of the law.  Should they decide to act on their beliefs that are in violation of the law then they are screwed.  

Beliefs are not against the law.  I can believe anything I want.  I cannot do anything I want.  Belief with out action is not against the law.

And yet, all three that I mentioned were acts of civil disobedience.

There are people living polygamous lifestyles (1% of the State of Utah). The Amish became tax felons until the laws were changed. Police in dozens of cities are under orders not to act on illegal aliens because the city management believes that they aren't really breaking any important laws.

You can believe in farting unicorns, and not be able to live it out all you want. But these are people living their and following their beliefs which violate specific laws.

In the case of the Amish, they won. The laws were changed to accommodate their belief. It's just a matter of time before polygamy and immigration laws change, right?

eolesen said:
And yet, all three that I mentioned were acts of civil disobedience.

There are people living polygamous lifestyles (1% of the State of Utah). The Amish became tax felons until the laws were changed. Police in dozens of cities are under orders not to act on illegal aliens because the city management believes that they aren't really breaking any important laws.

You can believe in farting unicorns, and not be able to live it out all you want. But these are people living their and following their beliefs which violate specific laws.

In the case of the Amish, they won. The laws were changed to accommodate their belief. It's just a matter of time before polygamy and immigration laws change, right?
No argument there.  What was being discussed was the "belief" that Sparrow had that he as a business owner could deny service as he saw fit.  That 'belief' is incorrect as the law specifically specifies what he as a business owner must do.  Seemed to me that he was equating beliefs with opinion.  I think they are two distinct issues.  Opinions tend to be something that cannot be proven one way or the other.  A belief can typically be proven.  One can have an opinion of whether or not a God exists.   One cannot have an opinion of whether gravity exists.

You can rationalize it if it makes you feel better about your opinion. I believe otherwise.

What do you believe is otherwise? Can you cite one instance where someone was prosecuted for something they believe but did not act upon? I'm sure there is one some where but I cannot think of one or find any examples.

AdAstraPerAspera said:

AAA, just saw this:

Phillips told TheBlaze Tuesday that he still has no intention of providing confectionery services for gay and lesbian weddings, maintaining the position he has held since Dave Mullins and Charlie Craig, the gay couple who waged a complaint against him, first approached his bakery in 2012.
“I’m not going to make cakes for same-sex weddings,” he said. “That violates my First Amendment speech … and my duty as a Christian abiding by my savior.” http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/06/04/the-bibleoverrules-all-that-govt-says-baker-must-make-wedding-cakes-for-gays-but-hes-not-backing-down/#

Wow. Powerful. After bearing witness to such horrific persecution of a pastry chef, all those countless hours of merciless torture and browbeating bullying that so many gay teens and tweens have endured for decades (often ending in suicide) seem downright silly in comparison.

AdAstraPerAspera said:
Wow. Powerful. After bearing witness to such horrific persecution of a pastry chef, all those countless hours of merciless torture and browbeating bullying that so many gay teens and tweens have endured for decades (often ending in suicide) seem downright silly in comparison.

Can't deal with no, huh?

Latest posts