Get Ready

TWU informer

Veteran
Nov 4, 2003
American Airlines Workers Prepare for a New Rounds of Concessions
By Trebor Banstetter, Fort Worth Star-Telegram, Texas

Oct. 25--FORT WORTH -- Many American Airlines employees hoped that steep concessions approved in 2003 were going to be enough to restore the struggling airline to profitability.

But today, it's increasingly clear that more painful changes are in store for employees as American continues to hemorrhage money amid crushing fuel prices and unyielding competition.

The airline's pilots are already contemplating another round of concessions, this one centered on work rules rather than salaries and benefits. Last week, the union chief called a meeting of the board for Nov. 1-2 to discuss whether to open up contract talks with management.

And American's flight attendants were recently informed that beginning in December, the airline will cut the number of attendants on certain flights. That could lead to layoffs or reduce the chances of furloughed attendants being recalled.

"Many of you are feeling anger and frustration watching our sacrifices to date become diluted by the cold, relentless economics of the current airline marketplace," Ralph Hunter, an American pilot who heads the Allied Pilots Association, said in a recent speech to members. "American Airlines has yet to turn a meaningful profit" since 2003.

For flight attendants, the staffing cuts follow American's decision to eliminate in-flight meals from most domestic flights, opting to sell food instead. That has reduced the number of attendants needed to serve passengers.

The airline notified the attendants' union that in December, the company will cut staffing levels on short-haul flights, typically less than 90 minutes. In January, further cuts will take place on flights to Hawaii and some transcontinental flights.

The exact number of positions cut was not available Monday, and it was unclear whether the reduction could lead to more layoffs. Attendant cuts are often absorbed through voluntary employee leaves rather than layoffs.

An excess of attendants could also be absorbed through attrition, rather than furloughs.

Union officials were not available for comment.

Although the staffing reduction for flight attendants was allowed under their current contract, productivity gains for pilots would require changes to their agreement. That's why Hunter last week scheduled a meeting of his board.

That meeting will include talks on how to handle an expected increase in early retirements among pilots, which could lead to a shortage .

Like the 2003 concessions, however, any new changes to the contract won't come without controversy. In the last several days, six of the union's 18 board members have distributed a joint statement arguing that it is too early to consider another round of contract changes.

"Fellow pilots, we ask a simple question: Why the rush?" the statement read, adding that "productivity increases will stagnate your career progression."

The statement was signed by the chairmen and vice chairmen of the union's Miami and New York chapters, and the vice chairmen of the Los Angeles and San Francisco chapters.

In the past, the union's Miami and New York bases have often argued more stridently against airline management than other chapters.

Hunter, the union's president, has told pilots and board members several times in recent weeks that the labor group needs to help the airline become more productive. He warns that American could end up in bankruptcy without additional help from employees.

But he has also stressed that he does not favor any contract changes that would reduce pilots' pay or benefits or result in more layoffs.

American executives are aware of the union meeting, but they declined to comment on the possibility of more concessions from pilots.

"Hopefully, we'll get more details from them after the meeting," spokeswoman Lisa Bailey said.

Union employees approved $1.6 billion in concessions, primarily pay reductions, more than two years ago.

Non represented workers and management absorbed an additional $200 million in cuts.

At the time, most believed that American would return to profitability with its lower labor costs. But fast-rising fuel prices have gutted most of the savings, and heavy competition has kept the airline from passing the extra costs to customers.

The financial carnage has pushed two other major carriers, Northwest Airlines and Delta Air Lines, into bankruptcy. That's a fate that most employees want to avoid, even those who oppose more concessions.

As grim as things seem, the news hasn't been all bad. Flight attendants scored a victory in recent days with an agreement that allows additional rest on layovers between flights.

For months, many attendants have complained that they are required to work flights with just a few hours of sleep, a provision that was part of the 2003 concessions. Union leaders have lobbied Congress to beef up federal rules on rest for attendants, but so far with little success.

Under the new agreement, attendants will be guaranteed eight hours of rest between flights, effective Dec. 2, on domestic and Caribbean flights.

"While this doesn't bring us back to pre-2003 rest provisions, it is a major step in our efforts to provide you with relief," said Tommie Hutto-Blake, the union's president, in a message to attendants.

I am opposed to more concessions regardless of who goes first.

There is $3.9 Billion in the cash, no need to hurry.

Before anymore concessions, I offer manAAgement the following suggestions:

Raise Fares.

Outsource manAAgement - first graders could run this place better.

Shut it all down and turn out the lights.

Raise Fares.

You two guys are so f-ing stupid.

There is $3.9 Billion in the cash, no need to hurry.

Another great idea, wait till things are really bad, don't fix the problem just keep leaching off of the company. You union people are just leaches.

Jeez, oneflyer, stop sugarcoating things and beating around the bush and just come out and tell us what you really think of those two. :D

Jeez, oneflyer, stop sugarcoating things and beating around the bush and just come out and tell us what you really think of those two. :D
Well I got the reaction I expected out of Oneflyer. :D :D

Yes life of the workerbee these days.

laborlaw1.jpg

Jeez, oneflyer, stop sugarcoating things and beating around the bush and just come out and tell us what you really think of those two

I'll tell you even more, I gave my notice last week. My last day will be Oct. 31st. I just got sick of working for a company that is being sucked dry by lazy, arrogant unions and an uppermanagement that is more concerned about hanging on to their cush jobs than actually fixing the company.

I will never again work for a unionized company, well in five years there probably won't be any left. The unions will have milked all they can off them and thanks to the members of the AFL-CIO every manufacturing or blue collar job that used to be in US will be in China. YES, you are the problem, for every AMFAMAN, TWU informer type there are 10 jobs moving out of the US because of their stupidity and arrogance, all they are doing is expediting the process.

You two guys are so f-ing stupid.
Another great idea, wait till things are really bad, don't fix the problem just keep leaching off of the company. You union people are just leaches.

Well now let's see.

It was alledged that AA was down to $1.6 Billion in cash when the lawyers were on the Court House steps.

Now, despite losses in every quarter but one since, there is now magically $3.9 billion in cash. All it would take is lower price fuel, and RECORD profits would be the theme of the day.

And you want us to stampede to the concession stand and give up more?

And you think I am stupid? What exactly is your job, and what is your stake in this debate? You appear to be nothing more than a name caller, and management concession drummer.

Worker concessions will not level the playing field with those that dont have to pay their bills.

If things are as bad as you want us to believe, then AA should file the Bankruptcy and level the field.

I'll tell you even more, I gave my notice last week. My last day will be Oct. 31st. I just got sick of working for a company that is being sucked dry by lazy, arrogant unions and an uppermanagement that is more concerned about hanging on to their cush jobs than actually fixing the company.

I will never again work for a unionized company, well in five years there probably won't be any left. The unions will have milked all they can off them and thanks to the members of the AFL-CIO every manufacturing or blue collar job that used to be in US will be in China. YES, you are the problem, for every AMFAMAN, TWU informer type there are 10 jobs moving out of the US because of their stupidity and arrogance, all they are doing is expediting the process.

Don't let the door hit you in the ass.

The Union is not to blame. Until the recent "working together" plan, management was running the company not the union. At least that is what the press reports claim. Of course now it appears the union is running the airline, and you are correct in leaving now. The Union will not manage any better than the inept management.

Sure it was the union's that decided how to come up with the money for restructuring. But it was management who refused to lead and allowed the union to "save jobs" and over man the airline with lazy, arrogant union employees. Any way you look at it, blaming the union is not really a truthful attack of the problem.

Any way you look at it, blaming the union is not really a truthful attack of the problem.

The union is the problem every time you suggest that improving productivity is a concession. Having books full of work rules is the problem. Everything AA does that is not union related is industry leading, the AAdvantage program, our yield management program, AMR investments, SABRE, all industry leading programs. The problem is when you go out to the ramp or a cargo facility and you see 3 guys working and 10 sitting in the break room playing dominos. The problem is F/A bitching out customers, the problem is having to have 3 pilots for an 8 hour flight, 90% of which is flown by a computer. The problem is the union.

The union is the problem every time you suggest that improving productivity is a concession. Having books full of work rules is the problem. Everything AA does that is not union related is industry leading, the AAdvantage program, our yield management program, AMR investments, SABRE, all industry leading programs. The problem is when you go out to the ramp or a cargo facility and you see 3 guys working and 10 sitting in the break room playing dominos. The problem is F/A bitching out customers, the problem is having to have 3 pilots for an 8 hour flight, 90% of which is flown by a computer. The problem is the union.

Should the "Union" fire those lazy bastards? And get sued for Duty of Fair Representation?

Or is that a management function to discipline and fire lazy, arrogant, union workers?

Has the "Union" somehow forced their will on the company negotiators? Or did the management sign the labor agreements with those work rules also?

By the way, when you leave, will they replace you, or through attrition prove you to be a waste?

Raise Fares.

I think they should fire all of management and go to Wharton and Harvard and give some students a senior project to turn AA around and bring us back to profitability. Guarantee you the company would be better off than it is now with the clowns we have running the show and milking us dry.

To blame the unions is just plain stupid and ignorant. Stop reading company propaganda oneflyer and you won't sound so stupid.

Where you going to work next? Panera Bread Company?

Latest posts