Glenn Tilton new CEO?

Tilton should be an encouraging leadership change. I've worked there and here, and have some limited insight. At Texaco he was a close friend to employees and a kind and considerate leader. He saw others hurt Texaco and was a stalwart for a better road. He got a standing ovation at an employee meeting when he took over, and that was in the midst of a merger with Chevron. He did not engineer the merger with Chevron, as he was not the CEO when that was structured. It was a necessary merger because of events in that industry; Tilton might have lead Texaco differently if he had been in charge and perhaps a merger would not have been necessary if he had been the boss. He has the respect of line employees at Texaco and the managers at Chevron. Chevron is a different breed of company than Texaco and it would be hard for Tilton (who was raised inside Texaco,nearly) to be a part of the changing experience Texaco employees will experience. He has tried to help with that transition and has been assigned one of Chevron's biggest problems, Dynegy. That shows the condfidence placed in him by Chevron Board. He is not a "sell and leave" guy, having spent nearly all of his career with Texaco. He has Wall Street's respect, but of course the Street is fickle. Most importantly, Tilton is a straight shooter with an impeccable moral compass. BTW, some message boards suggest that he is a Bush Boy-- not so, really, or at least that is the rumor. He may even be a Democrat. Of course, he will be on a steep learning curve. Let's give him a chance to succeed; we need a real turn-around. Labor issues are only part of the challenge we face. Employees will agree to sacrifice for our company's future, but only if that sacrifice is shared appropriately. And the government's loan guaranty is not worth the current asking price. Bankrupcty is the worst course for shareholders-- and many of you are shareholders, remember. New management needs to act very quickly to get costs down in all areas; labor savings will then come along. It is time to move forward together and save this company from Wall Street bottom feeders while saving our jobs at the same time.

Well, it's "official" now:

http://biz.yahoo.com/rb/020902/airlines_ual_1.html

Since Tilton has been named both the chairman and chief executive, it can be reasonably inferred that Greenwald is not coming back to United.

Hopefully, the departure of Dutta and Studdert will be structured in such a way that UAL does not suffer from an unnecessary power or knowledge vacuum at this critical juncture.

Tilton must have a plan for UAL or he would never have taken the job. The question is....is his plan without chapter 11 or after chapter 11? [:(]

----------------
On 9/2/2002 9:54:48 PM
Avek,

Don't be too concerned about Dutta and Studdert departing the building. The writing's been on the wall where that's concerned for months. Creighton assured the unions that they'd leave when the new CEO came onboard. That announcement was expected for weeks.
----------------

No, MONTHS!!

Just for the record, most know I'm not a pilot. That being said, it gets awfully tiring reading the forever yawn-inducing posts of how the pilots are responsible for what's wrong at UA. Some people need to wake up to reality. The problems of this company go much deeper than the pilots and Contract 2000. But let's forget whose fault it was that put us here and start focusing on getting out of this mess. We have a new CEO. So the critical first step has been taken. Now, Tilton will have to assemble a knowledgeable leadership team who can motivate employees and display a willingness to do it.

Avek,

Don't be too concerned about Dutta and Studdert departing the building. The writing's been on the wall where that's concerned for months. Creighton assured the unions that they'd leave when the new CEO came onboard. That announcement was expected for weeks.

----------------
On 9/2/2002 10:51:43 PM

UAL777flyer;
Allow me to "throw" my 2 cents in here and wish you, UAL, and the new CEO, BEST WISHES, and good luck !!!!!!!

The words bankruptcy and UAL corp., Don't belong in the same sentence, ever.

NH/BB's
AA/AFL-CIO
----------------

Thanks. Amen to that!

And lest we forget: the choice of Tilton was unanimous including the two union boardmembers...Texaco was a well run company under his tutelage and the merger just reflected industry conditions as majors were merging: BP - Amoco (an aside, WHY would you dump a great brand Amoco for the unknown BP?? Ego!), Phillips-Conoco, ExxonMobil...They could not be left behind in the era of consolidation. Now UAL has someone with no "baggage" so its a clean slate for Mr. Tilton. He can get the information he needs from his subordinates

I give the honeymoon one week.

I also predict that whatever Mr. Tilton says he will do is what he will do.

As posted by UAL777Flyer:

"Just for the record, most know I'm not a pilot. That being said, it gets awfully tiring reading the forever yawn-inducing posts of how the pilots are responsible for what's wrong at UA"

UAL777Flyer,

I have to say, as much as I enjoy your insight and inside knowledge of UAL and the airline industry in general, your comments on things that you consider old news or less than up to the second breaking news are becoming tired and are completely irrelevant to any discussions on this board. If you do not like a post, or have a counterpoint, then it is always good to see, but your sarcastic comments about some of the things that people post are completely useless. Its great to have an opinion, but there is no need to belittle people the way you have.

Ok, I have that off of my chest.

Now, I don't think that most people who refer to the Contract 2000 debacle are saying that the pilots are wholly responsible for the shape that UAL is in right now, that would be completely ludicrous. I think that the point they are trying to make (at least the point I have tried to make at times) is that the pilots are not simply the white knights they tried to paint themselves as earlier on when they were the only union group even willing to discuss concessions. While it is noble, they have been just as ornery as other employee groups in very recent history. I admire the fact that they were willing to take charge in this current situation, and I know that the summer of 2000 was in response to incredibly bad management at the time.

All of that being said, I would give anything to see the new CEO be the kind of leader that can get UAL on the right path without having help from a BK judge. I did sell my stock in the company at a 90% loss fearing that if they went into BK it would be a 100% loss, but I am still a loyal customer with over 100 paid segments this year. I hope for the sake of all of you that management, the unions, the creditors, the shareholders, and the ATSB can all come together and put something together that will keep you guys out of court.

CAETravlr

CAE,

If you don't like what I post than ignore it. You have that option. I have never intentionally belittled anyone on this board. If that is how you take my posts, than that is something I cannot control. Whether you agree or not, it's tiring hearing the same-old, tried and true "pilots are to blame for everything" postings. That is because the facts do not support that ignorant statement. But it's an easy excuse that takes everyone else off the hook for what's wrong at this company.

UAL777Flyer,

If I misunderstood your intentions, I apologize. Its just not the first time you have used the word "yawn" in your posts, and a couple of times it has seemed to be more aimed at the person posting. I guess I was saying in those cases, you should take the advice you gave me, and ignore it.

I also said that I agree with you, the pilots did not bring the airline to where it is today. Consistently bad management over a period of time is the single largest factor that brought UAL to its present situation.

Anyway, I am not trying to be antagonistic, there is plenty of that going around.

Good luck to all who have a stake in this.

CAETravlr

Hey CAE,
If you're lucky, Tilton will put a guppy into CAE so that he can ride in style to his alumni meetings! Consider the possibilities[:bigsmile:]

You know Busdrvr, you may be right! One can only dream. [:bigsmile:] CAE - ORD is a long way on a CRJ! I thought it was pretty interesting that he was a USC (University of South Carolina for those of you on the other coast) graduate. [;)]

Think he's a football fan?