Greeting from INT

ITRADE

Veteran
Aug 19, 2002
DCA/IAD US2
www.geocities.com
[P]
[BLOCKQUOTE][BR]----------------[BR]On 1/14/2003 5:42:46 PM MCORORES wrote:
[P]Well all I am back. Gone from MCO away from a bunch of GREAT FELLOW EMPLOYEES and wish them the best!!!! Now I will join another GREAT BUNCH of EMPLOYEES at the end of the month at INT. Got my stuff today and it is amazing how much stuff one acquires!!! Also found a great BBQ place up here. Now for the bad news.....they are saying a chance of SNOW for Thursday evening lasting into Friday Morning! Great...this Florida person might have to deal with winter weather something that I have not had to deal with at all!! Any tips on Car care for the winter months would be appreciated!!! Every where I go I see nothing but good old southren hospitality and it does make me feel welcome which takes the edge off of things. And yes Res....I am reissued trained. See my new coworkers at the end of Jan.....[/P]----------------[/BLOCKQUOTE]
[P][/P]Glad to see you back in the saddle.

Well all I am back. Gone from MCO away from a bunch of GREAT FELLOW EMPLOYEES and wish them the best!!!! Now I will join another GREAT BUNCH of EMPLOYEES at the end of the month at INT. Got my stuff today and it is amazing how much stuff one acquires!!! Also found a great BBQ place up here. Now for the bad news.....they are saying a chance of SNOW for Thursday evening lasting into Friday Morning! Great...this Florida person might have to deal with winter weather something that I have not had to deal with at all!! Any tips on Car care for the winter months would be appreciated!!! Every where I go I see nothing but good old southren hospitality and it does make me feel welcome which takes the edge off of things. And yes Res....I am reissued trained. See my new coworkers at the end of Jan.....

[blockquote]
----------------
On 1/14/2003 5:42:46 PM MCORORES wrote:

Well all I am back. Gone from MCO away from a bunch of GREAT FELLOW EMPLOYEES and wish them the best!!!! Now I will join another GREAT BUNCH of EMPLOYEES at the end of the month at INT. Got my stuff today and it is amazing how much stuff one acquires!!! Also found a great BBQ place up here. Now for the bad news.....they are saying a chance of SNOW for Thursday evening lasting into Friday Morning! Great...this Florida person might have to deal with winter weather something that I have not had to deal with at all!! Any tips on Car care for the winter months would be appreciated!!! Every where I go I see nothing but good old southren hospitality and it does make me feel welcome which takes the edge off of things. And yes Res....I am reissued trained. See my new coworkers at the end of Jan.....
----------------
[/blockquote]

Any chance you wanna start earlier? I don't envy ya P.L.

Thought I'd take 3 minutes 25 seconds away from my busy busy 3 months of remaining paid "vacation" time and taking a welldeserved break from searching Monster dot com and helping with UNITED WAY to determine an 18 minute wait for reissues, and 12 for general sales rep as of 845pm tonight.
Oops! just spilled a drop of strawberry daiquri on my Ralph Lauren.[img src='http://www.usaviation.com/idealbb/images/smilies/1.gif']

Trimming a little fat here myself, refinanced at 4.6 pct and lowered mortgage by 120 a month with 5K cash back and paid off 2 cred cards. And still have 33pct equity in the house. That's about 250 a month off my bills from previous 2002 figures, ...not bad ay? Any finance manager positions open at U???????
[img src='http://www.usaviation.com/idealbb/images/smilies/2.gif']

Hope things go well!![img src='http://www.usaviation.com/idealbb/images/smilies/1.gif']

Hill's BBQ? You need to try it, it is an old Piedmont hangout from way back. As everyone knows Central NC barbecue is much better than Eastern.

If you're a vegetarian, it all sux!

MCORES yes the BBQ is terrific up there--especially with slaw on it. Try it you'll love it. Also the Original Drifters swing by the area often--tell them an old Piedmont agent said HI. They go to a lot of the festivals and Bill is the only living Original Drifter. My hubby was his musical director for quite awhile.
The hospitality there is awsome and such sweet people. Now for the snow.
I too left Orlando to head to NC many many years ago. Went up in January I think but in February there was a terrible snowstorm. 14 inches!!! I was terrified!!! It's the ice you really have to worry about though and the other drivers. Just go slow and run out and start your car early so it warms up before driving. Hope you don't have a 6am start. Actually you can get an automatic starter for around $200 and then you just click from your warm living room. Have fun there and give my best to everyone for me. The outside world is a lot worse but much more relaxing and calming. Good luck--keep those planes in the air and full!!

Already found one descent BBQ joint just up the street called "Little Richard's". It is Lexington Style and really quite tasty. As far as winter weather goes looks like we will have snow Thursday night into Friday morning. How much, who knows at this time. I plan on sitting out on my balcony with a few cold Carolina Blondes which IMO is the best beer around and you can actually say I am going to wrap my hands around a Carolina Blonde and it is not sexual harresment LOL. Really cannot wait to not drip the faucets at night. Yea even though the most of my adult life was spend in Florida that is one thing I do know. Got a weather term that I never had to deal with in Florida which is Winter Storm Watch. Gosh been through countless Severe Thunderstorm Watches/Warnings, Tornado Watch/Warning and of course Hurricane Watch/Warning. But never a Winter Storm Watch/Warning!!!! Life has become just a little more adventurous!!! Cannot wait for spring, summer and fall which is something we do not get in Florida. Am going to actually have change of the seasons. As far as my choice goes to transfer up here instead of taking the furlough I think it was the right choice even though the 15 weeks of pay sounded tempting. I honestly feel the worse for us employees is almost over and I see smooth sailing ahead. I honestly do not see management asking for more concessions. Believe me I am not an upper management fan at all. After what we all have been through drives that feeling home and I do actually believe that Dave has the vision for this airline to be the best more so than any other CEO in the past.

Hi MCORORES,

Welcome to NC; wish it could have been under nicer cir***stances.
1.BBQ
Lexington is a nice alternative to the real thing; I order it when it's on the menu.
For real BBQ, Wilbur's in Goldsboro is good, but the best way is to attend when invited to a pig pickin'. Good ole boys take great pride in putting these on. You can't beat pulling the BBQ off the beast just as it's getting done. Beware, there's usually a fair amount of dark likker involved! There's also a way to do it on a smaller scale yourself. Buy a pork loin, or a "Boston Butt.' Place it in a disposable aluminum pan - you can get these at the grocery store for about $2-3, and it saves cleaning up a mess. Pour Well's or Scott's BBQ sauce over the meat until about an inch of sauce rests in the bottom of the pan. Grill slowly until done. Check occasionally, add sauce as needed. Do not let the pan go dry - it will burn the meat. In a hurry? Nuke the meat first to reduce cooking time on the grill. Bon appetit!

2. Winter
House
Drip the faucet FURTHEST from where your water suppy comes into the house. A stream about the size of a pencil lead. If you're on a private well, make sure the heat source, usually a light bulb, is on. If you have a well insulated water system, this is usually not necessary, but as you're new to your residence, who knows? If the power goes out, your hurricane experience comes into play. Flashlight, batteries, food, etc.
Car
If you're somewhat mechanically minded, you can buy a tester at any auto supply store and do it yourself - it's a piece of cake. If not, a mechanically minded friend or garage can test the antifreeze protection in your radiator. Don't let this slide - it can wreck your car's engine if it freezes up.Cold weather is tough on batteries. Make sure it's in good working order, and carry booster cables. Have you bought an ice scraper for your windshield? Are your tires in good condition - the roads will be slicker than owl s**t. Perhaps tire chains, or know someone with 4WD. If they salt the roads, soon after driving on them, run your car thru a car wash with undercarriage wash - salt does ugly things to sheet metal.

And now the most important cold weather question - DID YOU GET MILK AND BREAD? (your co-worker natives will explain!)

NC is a lovely state. Mountains in the west, the Atlantic to the east. Tons of national and state forests, lakes and hiking trails. Good zoo in Ashboro. Lots of NASCAR - you've got Martinville, Charlotte and Rockingham nearby. Biltmore in AVL is a must. If your tastes run classical, the NC symphony is excellent, and tours the state. They reside in RDU, and perform at Meymandi Auditorium - it is first class. Several venues in CLT, INT, GSO and RDU for pop, rock, and country concerts. Good history and natural sciences museums in RDU, decent art museum.

Enjoy!

Mcorores,
Hey kiddo! Great to hear from you! NC sounds wonderful! I'm almost envious I didn't take the transfer! But I know you, you'd make lemons out of lemonade! I on the other hand am getting bored after less than a week. Glad to hear USAirways may be back on track. Keep in touch, and say Hi to anyone who knows me from Reno res, or San Diego res, or LAX gates or SNA gates, and of course from MCO.

Welcome to INT res!!! It was nice to see so many
new faces this week....and we welcome having experienced
agents helping us!!

As far as the snow and ice...like a previous poster
noted..just drive extremely SLOW...if you have front
wheel drive it goes well. The other drivers don't
know how to drive on snow or ice since they don't get
much experience...only once or twice a year.
I allow about double the time to get to work...
You definitely need an ice scraper (it took me a while
to find one) try home depot or an auto supply store.

The most frightening thing is how fast the drivers
try to drive during and after a storm. During the
last storm about five bad crashes took place...people
flying off the road into trees...so if you drive
slowly you will be fine. And stay off the roads
unless absolutely necessary.

I came from San Diego and was freezing every day last
winter, but this winter it doesn't seem quite as bad.
Bought a down jacket which helps!
Good luck to you and hope to run into you some day
at the office!!
Welcome to all new transfers!!