Haven't heard much about this, lately....but, I would say it's good news.

umpieumkn

Jun 28, 2003
Bedford, TX
Airlines could see more benefits from falling oil demand

By Christopher Hinton

Last update: 3:07 p.m. EDT March 12, 2009

NEW YORK (MarketWatch) -- Falling oil prices have drastically reduced costs for airlines and have helped offset the loss of revenue from falling traffic demand, but the industry is now about to extract another fuel-cost benefit, according to a Thursday note from FTN Midwest analyst Mike Derchin. Crack spreads, or the difference between the price of oil and jet fuel, have narrowed considerably since last year's average of $25.50, Derchin said. That average fell to $21 in January, $15 in February and $6 in March. "Every $1 per barrel change [in the crack spread] is equal to close to $400 million annually," Derchin said. "If crack spreads end up averaging $10 less than last year, i.e., $15 per barrel, the airlines would save close to another $4 billion annually."
Print

More typical garbage, just remember:

Average people trusted financial advisors who told them to pour money into market-oriented accounts for the long term.

From now on when they say sell, you buy. AMR at 2,3,4 dollars a share, is a good buy.

Nothings cheaper, unless you'd rather buy lottery tickets.
<_< ------ With the bargin basement prices on "Good Companies", why buy Airline stock? :huh:

<_< ------ With the bargin basement prices on "Good Companies", why buy Airline stock? :huh:

What would you call "good companies"? If their stock price is from the bargain basement, they aren't doing too well. However, I agree, why buy Airline stocks right now. I mean, AA was a sure double at 2 bucks, but still waiting.

You might want to define what a "good company" is...CITIBANK was once one.

There once were a lot of good companies until the CEO and such learned how to put the screws to the unions/employees with the help of Ronald Reagon. Can you say the Controlers strike. That is what started it.

There once were a lot of good companies until the CEO and such learned how to put the screws to the unions/employees with the help of Ronald Reagon. Can you say the Controlers strike. That is what started it.

True, but I was responding to MCI's post about what companies to invest in now.
And you are correct.... After Reagan fired the controllers, corporate America took the anti-union ball and ran with it and have not stopped running since. They saw a pro company anti union government and took advantage by decimating workers' rights and numbers.

By the way, had the AFL CIO ordered all unionized affiliated members to support the controllers and shut this country down, things might be a little different today.

Did the AFL CIO support the Eastern Airlines workers against Lorenzo?
I recall the Long Island Railroad waiting for the order to sympathy strike for EAL and the mighty IAM buckled under because then IAM president William Winpisinger was threatened with arrest.

We all know how corporate America has screwed the worker, but our unions have allowed it.

X-President Jimmy Earl Carter ( D ) signed the airlines deregulations laws in effect, that began the turmoil that is AKA the modern airline industry, today.

X-President Reagan merely upstaged Carter at every turn.

The controllers were ill-advised to strike without first securing support from the rest of Labor, and certainly the airline industry.

Back