Holy Travis Christ! -- Another customer bites the dust

My question coming from the west is what is the mindset of the east coast elite traveler and how do you think it differs from the west? West coast elites travel to the east on business and east to the west so what is it that is so vastly different? I know among employees of the same company there is a different mindset east vs west and I know how great that is but when it comes to our customers... Im not well versed. Thanks Mama

To add to the discussion to date: I live in the city (JAX)with the largest number of Delta elites outside of ATL. These folks fill the entire F cabin and first cabin in Y in 2 767's every morning at Y fares or above in addition to widebodies for virtually every bank of flights in ATL. US Airways gate staff here is light years ahead of Delta's in regards to quality. US seems to want to buy this business, but these passengers will fly Airtran or another carrier before they put up with the customer service being represented by Mr. Christ.

Thanks to all of our preferred travelers who have posted on this thread. One of the reasons I like this board is to hear what our customers think and to see how we can improve our service. Without attempting to reach the likes of Travis but to someone in management who maybe will read this board, what would you ask for as an improvement? Where is US failing the F product? Thanks for your input! Mama

Charging $300 for a seat just because it lies flat is ridiculous.

Art,

I agree with you, although it may seem that I don't. However, if it's ridiculous to pay extra for the seat, then why is it such a big deal to have in the first place?

And, it certainly is a perception problem that US is charging "Nordstrom" prices. However, US has lowered fares; they just seem high because everyone else matches them. It's the great airline cat and mouse game. So long as others can, they will match the lower fares. There will come a breaking point when the lower fare cannot support the higher service. Then it will happen that either fares come up, or service goes down.

OTOH, so long as people pay the fares, they will be charged.

That said, the experience spelled out in this story indicates a total disdain for the high yield business traveler.

The sad part is it will take up to 100 "Ma and Pa Kettle" customers to make up the revenue lost by one of Dr. Goldener's type. For every one who speaks up there are hundreds who don't, so one only needs to do the math here......
The old saying goes, “A happy customer tells two friends, and an unhappy one tells 10. This is clearly no longer accurate.
When customers are dissatisfied, they have always done one of three things:
Complain, leave, or get even.
Complaining may not get you very far. Leaving doesn't provide much sense of justice. Getting even is now a rich and readily accessible experience. Customers no longer care what the root cause of the problem is. They want a reasonable standard of service and if they don't get it, they're prepared to go public.

If US has indeed lowered fares then kindly explain how with load factors relatively flat and yield way up on the East operations how and where were fares lowered??? I'm not seeing it.

To be honest, in PHL you probably won't. People, by and large, are willing to pay a "convenience fee" of sorts for non-stops and international service. We could debate that point all day, but it's true. Goldener feels he gets a better deal by, say switching to DL, paying the same fare to take connections. He'll lose a lot of time, and he may change his mind.

And note the last sentence from my post you quoted. So far as people will pay the higher fares, the higher fares will be available.

USAirways to be like Costco! That's great news for employees, especially those at the lowest pay grades. This is great news, just in time for Christmas. Gather round kids, USAirways is going to be like Costco. I thought USAirways didn't care about the employees (or it's customers for that matter), but apparently I was wrong.

Just imagine -->
1. Industry leading wages (just like Costco),
2. Starting pay at $10 per hour, making $40,000 after only 3 1/2 years (just like Costco),
3. USAirways paying 92% of employee health premiums (just like Costco),
4. Employee turnover will plummet because higher pay will boost loyalty (just like Costco),
5. Happier Customers will abound because happy employees make for happy customers (just like Costco).

I can't wait for the next quote from the USAirways prophet. It might go something like this -->

"Since Christmas 2006, we've begun to run USAirways with the philosophy that if we pay better than average, provide a salary people can live on, have a positive environment and good benefits, we'll be able to hire better people, they'll stay longer, and be more efficient." says Travis Christ, Costco's (rather USAirways) Marketing prophet and guru.

This will be great news. I forgot to add that after USAirways runs off all those pesky high-yield business customers, it will only get better! :lol:

Genius! Travis should have thought of this sooner!

USAirways to be like Costco! That's great news for employees, especially those at the lowest pay grades. This is great news, just in time for Christmas. Gather round kids, USAirways is going to be like Costco. I thought USAirways didn't care about the employees (or it's customers for that matter), but apparently I was wrong.

Just imagine -->
1. Industry leading wages (just like Costco),
2. Starting pay at $10 per hour, making $40,000 after only 3 1/2 years (just like Costco),
3. USAirways paying 92% of employee health premiums (just like Costco),
4. Employee turnover will plummet because higher pay will boost loyalty (just like Costco),
5. Happier Customers will abound because happy employees make for happy customers (just like Costco).

I can't wait for the next quote from the USAirways prophet. It might go something like this -->

"Since Christmas 2006, we've begun to run USAirways with the philosophy that if we pay better than average, provide a salary people can live on, have a positive environment and good benefits, we'll be able to hire better people, they'll stay longer, and be more efficient." says Travis Christ, Costco's (rather USAirways) Marketing prophet and guru.

This will be great news. I forgot to add that after USAirways runs off all those pesky high-yield business customers, it will only get better! :lol:

Genius! Travis should have thought of this sooner!

Sorry to quote the whole thing, but, it is quite good.

For a company with "high labor costs" (according to Wall Street) like Costco, it seems Costco has a good handle on what real labor costs are when one factors in training costs and the cost of lost revenue due to inadequate experience/training, among other factors.

Any corporation that focus' on "costs" vs revenue tends to emphasize the negative in all facets of their operation.

What would it be like to "work" for a corporation that focused on the positive rather than the negative?

I don't know as the arrogant animosity towards operations, both overt and covert, under the Crystal City rock, seems to be malignant after all, sneaking its way into the Tempe psyche, promoting wretched, intrenched behavior, a symptom of infection. Of course, such an irrational standard can only exist in an environment that promotes such behavior.....

FWIW, there is no active John Goldener of any level in the PHL area.
This has been sticking in my craw since you posted it. Do you have the authority to access this information? I have information in my profile that should be protected from prying eyes. So what do you do in the castle and what exactly gives you the authority to access said information?

This has been sticking in my craw since you posted it. Do you have the authority to access this information? I have information in my profile that should be protected from prying eyes. So what do you do in the castle and what exactly gives you the authority to access said information?
===========================================================

I don't think it is very hard at all to determine that poster's ID. ;)

You all better take it to a PM, you know the moderators will pounce if you out someone.

And that mindset Barbell is EXACTLY my point that LCC is an LCC in name only.

There's a terrible misunderstanding by the travelling public about the stock symbol, LCC, chosen by Dougie.

USAirways IS INDEED a Low Cost Carrier. It's just not a Low Fare Carrier. The costs of running the operation are low because the company beat up the employees, lessors, airports, vendors, etc. in bankruptcy. They never intended that this would translate to the fare structure. How could they line their pockets, along with those of the "big money" that put this mess together, if they gave the customer a break?

There's a terrible misunderstanding by the travelling public about the stock symbol, LCC, chosen by Dougie.
Wonder where that "misunderstanding" came from.....

PHOENIX, Sept. 27, 2005 -- US Airways Group, Inc., (NYSE: LCC), effective today, has finalized its transaction enabling America West and US Airways to begin operating as one carrier – US Airways. Customers should continue to book directly with US Airways or America West as they did before the merger. The airlines' Web sites, www.americawest.com and www.usairways.com, will operate separately in the short term, as will the two airlines' reservations systems.

The new US Airways, which begins trading today on the New York Stock Exchange under the LCC symbol, represents the nation's largest full-service, low-cost, low-fare airline. Company officials and representatives from the airline's labor groups join US Airways Chairman, President and CEO Doug Parker at today's opening bell ceremony at the New York Stock Exchange.

"Today we start a new chapter in aviation history," said Parker. "The new US Airways combines our airlines' proud heritage with our employees' passionate commitment to provide our customers with friendly service and low fares. This is a great day for the employees of America West and US Airways as well as for the people in the hundreds of communities we serve."

Benefits of the America West/US Airways merger include:

* Single-branded product offering everyday, simple low fares and a network of choices for travel to more than 225 destinations worldwide, including Europe, the Caribbean, Mexico, Canada, and, in the near future, Hawaii. US Airways will continue to operate hubs in Charlotte, N.C., Phoenix and Philadelphia, with secondary hub/focus cities in Las Vegas, Pittsburgh, Boston, New York (LaGuardia) and Washington (Ronald Reagan National Airport). In addition, two wholly owned subsidiaries operating as US Airways Express will continue to provide additional service to an expansive network.

<SNIP>

"We are confident that the enthusiasm and professionalism of our employees, combined with the experienced leadership team we have selected to run the new airline will give us greater financial stability and competitive strength in the marketplace," continued Parker. "Our business model will enable us to compete aggressively with any airline, legacy or low-cost, in terms of reliability, amenities and affordability."

Jim

Latest posts