How Delta's outgoing CEO tried to bend U.S. foreign policy to the airline's financial interest

700UW

Corn Field
Nov 11, 2003
NC
http://www.bizjournals.com/bizjournals/blog/seat2B/2016/02/richard-anderson-delta-foreign-policy.html?ana=yahoo

Consider, for example, Anderson's campaign against the Export-Import Bank. Anderson poured millions into lobbying to shut down the 82-year-old U.S. credit agency and did so for only one reason: Since he was running Delta with an endless stream of older aircraft, he saw no reason for international competitors to get discounts on loans to purchase American-made Boeing jets. Anderson couched his complaints in more patriotic terms, of course, but his grievance against the Ex-Im stemmed solely and completely from Delta's own financial interests.
Anderson was even more reckless in his battle with the Big Three Gulf carriers. He filled the airwaves with invective, half-baked statistics and ethnic innuendo. He apologized for the nastiest assertion, but hardly anyone took the mea culpa seriously. And he never once considered that U.S. national interests in the Middle East are inextricably tied to the governments in Qatar and the United Arab Emirates.

Besides, Anderson's shouts of "Subsidy!" hurled at the Gulf Carriers rang especially hollow when you examine Delta's actions. It shares the SkyTeam Alliance with Saudia, wholly owned by the government of Saudi Arabia. Also in SkyTeam and a Delta code-share partner? Alitalia. That hapless carrier has been repeatedly bailed out by Italian taxpayers and is now 49 percent owned by Etihad of Abu Dhabi, one of the Gulf Carriers whose policies Anderson claims to find so repulsive. Several other SkyTeam partners are also de jure or de facto subsidiaries of their nation's government and Anderson doesn't have any gripe with them.

Anderson also had no problem with the equity investment he made on Delta's behalf in China Eastern. Yet China Eastern is the carrier most frequently and lavishly subsidized by the Chinese government. Since Anderson wants access to China Eastern's Shanghai hub and the vast Chinese market beyond, however, he's uttered not a peep against Chinese subsidies.

Anderson isn't going quietly into that corporate good night, either. In recent weeks, he's attempted to throw a spanner into delicate U.S.-Japanese negotiations for more access to Tokyo Haneda, the closest airport to the Japanese capital.

Reactions: 1 person
Kev3188 said:
You're thanking the wrong person (or people)...
You can put all the bags on the right flight and I can land at all the right cities and everyone else can do their jobs to the best of their abilities. And DL can not make a penny in profits if idiots are running the company. So stop being so petty and just give the man his due. Your self serving drivel about how WE the employees did all this is really getting tired and childish. WE includes all the employees of DL and that includes management. Face it they did their jobs and they did it well.

Reactions: 2 people
metopower said:
You can put all the bags on the right flight and I can land at all the right cities and everyone else can do their jobs to the best of their abilities. And DL can not make a penny in profits if idiots are running the company. So stop being so petty and just give the man his due. Your self serving drivel about how WE the employees did all this is really getting tired and childish. WE includes all the employees of DL and that includes management. Face it they did their jobs and they did it well.
You've clearly missed all the times I've praised Hauenstein and co.

Yes, WE the employees made this happen. If you find that reality childish, I can't help you.

Reactions: 3 people
metopower said:
Union, good. Management, bad.

Kev3188 said:
You've clearly missed all the times I've praised Hauenstein and co.
Yes, WE the employees made this happen. If you find that reality childish, I can't help you.
And my point is that WE all are employees from top to bottom. Your still holding on to your northwest mentality. THAT is my point and you know it. Does that help you.

Reactions: 2 people
metopower said:
And my point is that WE all are employees from top to bottom. Your still holding on to your northwest mentality. THAT is my point and you know it. Does that help you.

He just can't let go.

Kinda sad actually. 

Reactions: 3 people
townpete said:

He just can't let go.

Kinda sad actually. 
The only sad thing is you are a pathological liar, who has serious issues, who couldnt accept the truth if it hit you in the face.

Reactions: 1 person