I Hope Something Up Between Usairways And Branson

deltawatch

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
www.usaviation.com
Virgin to Order More Than 100 Planes From Airbus, Observer Says

May 2 (Bloomberg) -- Virgin Group Ltd., the company owned by billionaire Richard Branson, is to order more than 100 airplanes from Airbus SAS for its new low-cost U.S. airline, the Observer reported, without saying where it got its information.

Virgin will buy a mix of Airbus A319 and A320 planes in a transaction that may be worth more than $3 billion, the Observer said. The transaction will be financed by Gecas, the leasing division of General Electric Co., it said.

Fred Reid, the chief executive of the airline, currently known as Virgin USA, will unveil the details in New York this week, the Observer said.

He is expected to announce the delivery of 30 planes in the 18 months following the airline's launch, likely to be in the first quarter of next year, the newspaper said. Up to 100 more will be optioned over the following three to five year period, it said.

All we need is another 100 low cost start up aircraft on the east coast :eek:

I get a funny feeling everytime this topic is brought up. My intuition is telling me that something is up, but I'm not smart or knowledgable enough to figure out what. Well, I guess that everything I've read about VUSA's plans mention "Northern Virginia" as a potential base or HQ. Isn't DCA in Nova?

Also, if

a) U does dramatically restructure it's input costs along the lines of HP, I think movers and shakers like Branson will start paying attention to the operation.

B) U doesn't dramatically restructure it's input costs along hte lines of HP, I think movers and shakers like Branson will start eyeing the assets.

If U can create a 'Metrojet' brand, why couldn't it franchise a VUSAirways brand? I know Branson has said he wouldn't do that, but he has mentioned U in his musings.

The above constitute totally uninformed musings from a blood sugar starved brain, composing this seconds before heading off to lunch.