IAM district convention cancelled

sabre

Advanced
Aug 20, 2002
the convention for 141M was canceled. I heard most of the Locals are broke.
I wonder what will become of 141M once the United Airline Mechanics pull out.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 3/10/2003 7:01:08 PM sabre wrote:

the convention for 141M was canceled. I heard most of the Locals are broke.
I wonder what will become of 141M once the United Airline Mechanics pull out.
----------------
[/blockquote]

That's not surprising since the IAM is probably the biggest "top heavy" union.

For instance, here is Local 1487's breakdown as far as where our dues went in 2002:

Total dues = $34
Grand lodge took $18.63
District Lodge took $11.74
ChicagoFed of Labor= .45
AFLCIO= .80
Ed & Sch fund =.04

So total disbursements [bloodsucking] were: $31.66
Therefore the Local Lodge only kept a whopping $2.34 or about 7%. How do you like that?

And BTW, my Local, ORD 1487, just passed a motion that will not allow any payment for a District lodge delegate. Considering the Local's financial situation it doesn't believe the convention is worth the cost of the elaborate hotels and fees. Being an elected district delegate last year, I happen to agree.
Looks like 1487 [which makes up about 20% of District 141] will not be sending ANYONE to the convention this year unless a member decides to pay the way himself.

I have reliable info the 141M convention has cancelled. As of yesterday, I had no info regarding 141. It would not surprise me, though.

So, what gets done at a District Convention besides the usual patting each other on the back and playing up to the IAM "higher ups"..? That's right, not a damn thing..!

In this month's District 141 Messenger (monthly newsletter), a call was issued for delegates to the convention. Evidently, it's on.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 3/13/2003 10:28:34 AM LavMan wrote:

Apparently you have never attended one.
----------------
[/blockquote]

Been twice and know the game...