IFE on North American carriers

After putting two mediocre airlines together, not being the largest carrier, not having control of the largest cities. Then a trashed economy and high fuel prices among a ton of other things... Could US Airways truly be the best carrier with enough capital to fund the best IFE in North America? I would say the airline is lucky to still be around but I guess you'd know how to run the airline better?
2-1=1

This is an amateurish article. It's about US airlines, yet it includes Air Canada. The best is apparently Virgin. The worst is Spirit. You have to look at the chart to get a real sense of the results. The rest are all found to be equal in different areas. Some are going to get better in the future.

No matter how hard US tries it comes across as cheap, slip covered and tacky. I'll agree it's not a great environment to operate in but hmmmm how do the others do it? I'm so sick and tired of hearing US operates out of smaller hubs. YOU PAY A SMALLER EMPLOYEE GROUP! ! ! Stop feed us soup Mr. Parker.

Pretty sad that a "no frills" airline such as AirTran has fleetwide internet and XM.

And as said, it also sad that US had IFE in the form of cabin video screens (not state of the art, but perfectly servicable) and chose to remove them. How much money was really saved by that?

But look at the bright side. At least the screaming pink Pepto Bimols tray table ads are gone. Baby steps, folks, baby steps.

Pretty sad that a "no frills" airline such as AirTran has fleetwide internet and XM.

And as said, it also sad that US had IFE in the form of cabin video screens (not state of the art, but perfectly servicable) and chose to remove them. How much money was really saved by that?

But look at the bright side. At least the screaming pink Pepto Bimols tray table ads are gone. Baby steps, folks, baby steps.

I am sure that the money that they intended to save has been surpassed by high storage fees. Those screens and other equipment are in storage, you know.

I am sure that the money that they intended to save has been surpassed by high storage fees. Those screens and other equipment are in storage, you know.

Wouldn't it make more sense to just reinstall the equipment and generate some customer goodwill? I still hear random complaints from people who know that I am a US apologist that there was no IFE on their transcon. Obviously passengers want it.

After putting two mediocre airlines together, not being the largest carrier, not having control of the largest cities. Then a trashed economy and high fuel prices among a ton of other things... Could US Airways truly be the best carrier with enough capital to fund the best IFE in North America? I would say the airline is lucky to still be around but I guess you'd know how to run the airline better?
You stated the obvious and others agree and you’re mad

Wouldn't it make more sense to just reinstall the equipment and generate some customer goodwill? I still hear random complaints from people who know that I am a US apologist that there was no IFE on their transcon. Obviously passengers want it.
$$$$$$$$$$$Why did the company yank the east IFE if the customer likes them?$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I will tKe a stab at it. They removed the east IFE because they are here to train you and condition you. They don't care what the customer wants. They want your mouth shut and wallet open.

My tablet has airplane mode and I pay for my internet connection, because Wi-Fi is unreliable.

Would I be able to use it on an airline or would it interfere with navigation instruments?

I hate to say this, but I fail to see how this really matters.

Consumers buy their ticket based on price, period, Amen.

When IFE is there, yes, they enjoy it, but they don't buy their ticket based on service or the presence of amenities.

The fact that US still exists is proof of that.

I don't particularly care whether a customer has IFE. Read a book, sleep, or bring your own if you have to have it.

Any resources that US is holding need to be directed at labor relations, specifically addressing compensation.

Only then will US drag itself out of the sewer of ratings.

Keep your eye on the ball people. Those consumers do not give one hot da*n that you are paid poverty wages. They choose where to fly. When IFE means that much, they'll act accordingly.

I hate to say this, but I fail to see how this really matters.

Consumers buy their ticket based on price, period, Amen.

Insert the word Many or Most and I'd agree with you. Many buy on a variety of factors such as schedule, connections or lack thereof. If everyone bought strictly on price then Spirit would be the only carrier. It is also interesting to note that over the years several studies have been done and if all other things are equal then the Frequent Flyer Program is the decider.

When IFE is there, yes, they enjoy it, but they don't buy their ticket based on service or the presence of amenities. The fact that US still exists is proof of that. I don't particularly care whether a customer has IFE. Read a book, sleep, or bring your own if you have to have it.

IFE in many ways has lost it's cachet as there are so many personal devices that one can bring on board and safely use in order to entertain themselves.

Any resources that US is holding need to be directed at labor relations, specifically addressing compensation. Only then will US drag itself out of the sewer of ratings. Keep your eye on the ball people. Those consumers do not give one hot da*n that you are paid poverty wages. They choose where to fly. When IFE means that much, they'll act accordingly.

Sadly while I think you should get a raise and a significant one at that. There have been numerous studies that show very little cause and effect on customer service and high wages. Truth is the TOS PHL Agent can treat me just as obnoxiously as $8.72/hr PHX Stepford agent. One of the reasons I harp on how people are treated as opposed to how much they're paid is that truth be told if US had the same culture as WN they could get away with paying you a lot less then WN employees make AND customers would rave about the great service. People not only want to be valued financially but emotionally. The reason US fails miserably at delivering good and consistent Customer service is it fails to treat their people right on any level, the wages are merely the obvious part.

It's all about perception pure and simple. There is a way to be cost effective while not appearing cheap. US doesn't have it down and quite frankly never will. Ya see, to this day the company feels customers receive more than they should. Do any of you believe they were happy about spending more money on Envoy or Domestic FC? Hell no, they HAD to do it to compete. IFE isn't a do or die item but considering almost all have it or affordable wifi US looks like the family owned car lot that sells a few new cars and a crap load of beaters. US....clunkety clunk. :rolleyes:

Back