Imagine this now

swamt

Veteran
Oct 23, 2010
I do believe someone has down talked Southwest for a sale fare where you could buy one ticket and get a second ticket for a friend for free.  And now Delta is offering free tickets with no purchase required at all.  So who is the desperate one now?  Always watch out for what and whom you down talk. Now your own airline is offering free seats for the next 4 days.  Here comes the spin master to turn it all around in a different way.  LOL  gotta LUV this stuff man...

Delta Air Lines offers free flights for stranded Amtrak passengers

Delta is scrambling because of some negative press earlier today:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/15/us/after-amtrak-derailment-travelers-struggle-to-change-plans.html

A dumbass Democrat is calling for a federal investigation of Delta:

U.S. Sen. Chris Murphy, a Democrat from Connecticut, said in a statement Friday that he would consult the Federal Trade Commission and the Justice Department about price gouging after The New York Times reported that Delta Air Lines was offering tickets on its shuttle to Washington from La Guardia for $2,309 on Thursday morning. On Friday, however, Reuters news agency reported that Delta was offering free flights on its shuttles between New York and Washington and Boston to Amtrak customers whose tickets had been canceled because of the derailment.
http://www.northjersey.com/news/amtrak-derailment-leads-to-more-car-bus-traffic-sold-out-flights-in-mid-atlantic-1.1335879

Pretty astute move by Delta to show that it's a "caring" company that isn't trying to "capitalize on tragedy." Credit to DL for its quick reaction.

as usual, swamt has no idea what he is talking about but carries his cross around valiantly when someone actually speaks the truth about WN while fwaaa does get it pretty close to the truth.

WN was criticized in ATL because it has to give away seats because it can't fill them with paying customers; DL is being accused here of gouging customers because of

personally, I don't think DL needed to do anything to show that it is a caring company or anything else because it has had and continues to revenue manage - just like other transportation companies, including Amtrak. There is no one price for all customers when Amtrak does operate either.

I still haven't seen full validation that DL sold a ticket for over $1000 but if they did it was because they apparently sold a seat on a flight that was already full based on the assumption that anyone can buy a seat at some price and DL will deny boarding to someone who already holds a ticket. If that is the case, I don't think that policy or type of pricing should exist esp. during any type of crisis where it can be perceived to be gouging.

but other transportation companies have accepted Amtrak tickets in some cases not accepting repayment from Amtrak and have jacked up their prices.

The only issue appears to be the highest level fare which it isn't certain what DL sold.

I would also presume that DL is also capacity controlling the Amtrak tickets they are accepting but I don't know that

FWAAA said:
Delta is scrambling because of some negative press earlier today:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/15/us/after-amtrak-derailment-travelers-struggle-to-change-plans.html

A dumbass Democrat is calling for a federal investigation of Delta:

http://www.northjersey.com/news/amtrak-derailment-leads-to-more-car-bus-traffic-sold-out-flights-in-mid-atlantic-1.1335879

Pretty astute move by Delta to show that it's a "caring" company that isn't trying to "capitalize on tragedy." Credit to DL for its quick reaction.
I see. I knew something was up.  Pretty sad to see a company take advantage of a horrible accident...

except you really can't prove that since you just parrot what the media says.

or perhaps you have a screenshot of the fare?

swamt said:
I do believe someone has down talked Southwest for a sale fare where you could buy one ticket and get a second ticket for a friend for free.  And now Delta is offering free tickets with no purchase required at all.  So who is the desperate one now?  Always watch out for what and whom you down talk. Now your own airline is offering free seats for the next 4 days.  Here comes the spin master to turn it all around in a different way.  LOL  gotta LUV this stuff man...

Delta Air Lines offers free flights for stranded Amtrak passengers
Grow up

The delta spokesman never denied the fare. He just said that fares increase based on availability. I am sure the NY Times reporter did not just make up that fare out of thin air. I have no doubt that it was correct. If you don't want to pay it, go elsewhere.

Gee, someone comes on here and acts "exactly" like WT, only that it was a negative towards Delta and not another airline, and Delta supporters come on to say, "grow up" and "total BS and you know it".  I have been doing this for some time now and you guys are just now getting how it looks and reads when carries out his Delta Rah Rah in every single post he post.  Now do you see how you are looked upon by the forum?  Now let's see if it will do any good going forward.  Will he taste his own medicine??

Glenn Quagmire said:
The delta spokesman never denied the fare. He just said that fares increase based on availability. I am sure the NY Times reporter did not just make up that fare out of thin air. I have no doubt that it was correct. If you don't want to pay it, go elsewhere.
it happens to be the top of the line fare for the that route. It basically means the shuttle is oversold.....

the problem with this is, while i have seen a very select few flights with fares in the fare class, if you wait and hour or go an hour earlier you can pay walk up fares of about 500 bucks. NYT happened to find a over sold flight and then did a typical piss poor job of reporting. Now some dumbass senator wants an investigation because he is also to damn stupid to know what is going on. 

anyways, while it is very very very very rare to get into that fare class it does happen. 

swamt said:
Gee, someone comes on here and acts "exactly" like WT, only that it was a negative towards Delta and not another airline, and Delta supporters come on to say, "grow up" and "total BS and you know it".  I have been doing this for some time now and you guys are just now getting how it looks and reads when carries out his Delta Rah Rah in every single post he post.  Now do you see how you are looked upon by the forum?  Now let's see if it will do any good going forward.  Will he taste his own medicine??
Repeat...grow up. If you have a problem with someone deal with that person don't try to criticize a company for doing what it has always done. Extending fare breaks for weather problems and air disasters just like they have done previously. Look it up. I have no idea if wn has a history of this but DL does. Your credibility suffers when you can't distinguish between the two.

the reason why DL didn't talk specifics of the fare is because they couldn't win an argument with someone who would be convinced they were wrong regardless of what was said.

again, I'm not sure the NYT even proved that someone bought that fare or that DL's pricing systems priced a fully sold out flight using DL's policy of selling one more seat at some price for enough money.

I'm not sure I agree with that policy and have said so - but trying to argue that DL is gouging customers based on finding a completely sold out flight and then using DL's policy to sell a seat on a flight that would have otherwise been sold out is not evidence that DL was gouging.

The option is simply that DL would not have had any availability left on that flight.

No one had to by a 4 digit fare. for someone who absolutely positively has to be on that flight, the 4 digit fare is an option.

and DL's policy of overbooking the flight for true last minute seat availability does exist thruout its system; it has nothing to do with Amtrak's problems

metopower said:
Extending fare breaks for weather problems and air disasters just like they have done previously. Look it up. I have no idea if wn has a history of this but DL does.
$2k is a fare break?

I didn't read/see the entire story, but the NYT may have done a poor job of highlighting just that $2k fare on that particular flight while ignoring or not reporting the fares on the other DL shuttle flights that day (or the next day).
At the same time, it may have been wiser for DL just to show the shuttle flights as sold out and not have the $2k fare option for the time being that  the Amtrash rail corridor was shut down. Maybe they've learned something for the future.

FrugalFlyerv2.0 said:
At the same time, it may have been wiser for DL just to show the shuttle flights as sold out and not have the $2k fare option for the time being that  the Amtrash rail corridor was shut down. Maybe they've learned something for the future.
this is what I have said... we have found something on which we can agree.

Back