In Transit Quotes

Thrustfuljet

Advanced
Feb 9, 2004
These are statements pulled from the book In Transit, The twu in New York City, 1933-1966. Written by Joshua B. Freeman

pg.328 The least popular twu concession involved sick pay. In 1955 the twu allowed the TA to stop paying workers sick pay for their first day out unless their illnesses extended for at least nine days. Now we know where this idea come from.

pg.342 The 1980 strike ended in victory that many transit workers saw as a defeat. The MTA eventually upped its offer to 17% over two years plus a COLA, while union leaders agreed to reductions in break time and a two-tiered salary sytem, which kept new workers at reduced pay rates for two-and-a-half years. Another innovative idea we got stuck with.

pg.328 The twu policy of trading off institutional stability for wage moderation and increased productivity---or speed-up as many workers saw it---precipitated a wave of worker opposition to the twu leadership that dwarfed the dissent of the 1930s and '40s. This opposition took many forms, including internal union strggles, public demonstrations, wildcat strikes, withdrawals from the union, and the formation of dual-union splinter groups. Hence AMFA is born!!!

pg.297 Higher wages are the primary goal of our union, and we will allow nothing to stand in our way of achieving them. Guess they blew that one!

pg.115 John Santo's words that "you can't black jack people into accepting your views" Guess the twu hasn't learned from that one yet.

pg.89 Believing that O'Shea's election would be disastrous, Quill approached another left-wing twu leader and the two men took the ballot box up to Quill's room. Without consulting others, they stuffed the box with enough ballots to ensure Sant's victory.

pg.72 In the first year or two of organizing, the union and the communist party were so closely intertwined that a categorical confusion sometimes arose in workers' minds beween the two.

I just thought I would share a few interesting quotes from the book....
Keep the Faith AMFA NOW!!!

Amazing how the twu does not want to reply to this post, been here a couple days now and not a single word from one of them.

I guess we are all just so dumbfounded by your brilliance Thrustfuljet!!!!!
:wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :boring: :huh:

That's a way to put us in our place!!!
:lol:

"THE ROLE OF THE COMMUNIST"

intransit.jpg

I guess we are all just so dumbfounded by your brilliance Thrustfuljet!!!!!

Not my brilliance, it's the twu's brilliance. I just read the book and repeated what was in it. OIC, if you can read your brilliant, well after what I seen the twu membership do for me in the last 14 years I can see why you would think that.