Inflite Slide Deployment?

Light shows emergency slide out; plane aborts flight
PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) — A United Airlines flight to Denver was forced to make an emergency landing here Wednesday after an indicator light showed an inflatable emergency slide had deployed.
United spokeswoman Megan McCarthy said the slide did deploy but couldn't say if it occurred in the air or after landing. An investigation is underway.

"Oh my gosh, it was frightening," said Portland passenger Bert Bernie. "I'm grateful something worse did not happen."

Bernie said he couldn't see anything from his seat, and only a few passengers said they could see anything.

About 30 minutes into the flight the crew told passengers they'd be returning to Portland.

Bernie said the jet then slowed and began to vibrate noticeably during the descent.

A passenger told KGW-TV in Portland that the inflatable slide actually rolled out while the jet was in the air.

There are eight slides on the 757, McCarthy said. The one that deployed was located over one of the jet's wings at an emergency exit, McCarthy said. The exit door did not open.

"Standard operating procedure is to return to the field, and that's exactly what they did," McCarthy said.

The flight was carrying 189 people, including 182 passengers, airport spokesman Steve Johnson said.

Passengers were put on a new jet for their trip to Denver. Only 115 people were on the second flight, but there is no measure of how many were rerouted and how many opted to stay put.

Bernie missed a baseball game in Baltimore because of the delay and said he wouldn't fly until Thursday because: "I just didn't feel like flying again today."

The 757 has an evacuation slide over the wings in a seperate panel for the over wing window exits. Unlike normal door slides, the exit does not have to be open for this to inflate.

Just to calm any misconceptions that pax were in danger of falling out due to an open exit in flight. I don't have the details, but it's possible that the door holding the slide pack opened, allowing the slide pack to flap in the slipstream. Not great for the aerodynamics, and I image it could make strange noises, but is not particularly dangerous.

Unless the door assy flys off it's mounting and hits the horizontal stab on the way back :unsure:

Latest posts