Instrument/HP Questions

N738FZ

Aug 19, 2002
Well, like on the old BB, the instrument/hp board seems destined for obscurity. Nevertheless, I''ll volunteer once again...if anyone has any questions concerning instrument flying or high performance a/c, I''m a currently quite active CFII/MEI & am glad to answer questions. Most recent experience in PA28/28Rs, PA34s (Senecas), & BE58 Barons, so you may want to ask one of the resident jet jocks if you''ve got a burning desire to know how the ACMs on the B767 work... ;)
--Sam

One of the best jobs I ever had, believe it or not, was working in GA. I worked for Bud Main at Main Air Maintenance at Palo Alto Airport in Palo Alto California. The irony was that I thought, as a mechanic (I am a pilot too,) I had to go the airlines to make the big money. Because of timing and all of that,I rarely made more than what Bud Main paid me for being a good to better GA mechanic. Is there still a future out there?

Regards,

flaptrack

Sam, I'll take you up on your offer to answer questions. I'm a former military and now airline type, have absolutely no knowledge of general aviation type flying. Am considering light aircraft flying. So here are my questions:

1) What exactly is 'adverse aileron yaw' and how doest it affect the way you fly?

2) What exactly is 'P factor' and how does it affect the way you fly.

Thanks in advance, as technical an answer as you care to provide is appreciated.

[P]
[BLOCKQUOTE][BR]----------------[BR]On 11/2/2002 9:57:50 AM ua767fo wrote:
[P]Sam, I'll take you up on your offer to answer questions. I'm a former military and now airline type, have absolutely no knowledge of general aviation type flying. Am considering light aircraft flying. So here are my questions: [BR][BR]1) What exactly is 'adverse aileron yaw' and how doest it affect the way you fly?[BR][BR]2) What exactly is 'P factor' and how does it affect the way you fly.[BR][BR]Thanks in advance, as technical an answer as you care to provide is appreciated. [/P]----------------[/BLOCKQUOTE]
[P]Although you didn't address me specifically, I can answer your questions.[BR][BR]Adverse yaw has to do with induced drag -- the drag that is a by-product of lift. When ailerons are deflected, the rising wing is generating more lift. Since creating extra lift increases the induced drag, the aircraft has a momentary yaw into the rising wing (the opposite direction of the turn). This is adverse yaw.[BR][BR]Some aircraft designs incorporate differential aileron designs in which the descending wing's aileron deflects upwards more than the opposite wing's downward deflecting aileron. This results in an increased drag on the downward deflecting wing with the goal of equalization of drag between the two wings, the end result being a minimum of adverse yaw.[BR][BR]If you use the rudders properly, maintaining coordinated flight, you shouldn't notice any yaw, adverse or otherwise.[BR][BR]P-Factor a force on the airplane that causes a left turning tendancy at high angles of attack. In simple terms, when an airplane is at a high angle of attack, the relative wind is moving across the propeller disk at an angle. This causes propeller's angle of attack to be greater on the descending blade than the ascending blade. The greater angle of attack on the ascending (right) blade produces more thrust than on the descending (left) blade, resulting in a powerplant with a slightly asymmetrical thrust. This gives the airplane a left turning tendancy that is counteracted by right rudder. This condition most noticable during the takeoff phase. At normal cruise speeds, the propeller blades have more equal angles of attack and p-factor is not much of a factor.[BR][/P]

Tough question, which i hope someone can offer suggestions to.
I own a 337, I am PP/MEI. Current with instrument stuff. BFR is due next april, wanted to do wings training/BFR. For variety of reasons, we are going to mothball the plane. Desicant plugs, etc. When it comes out of mothball, it will have to go 50 miles for annual.
Should I do the wings/bfr now, or wait until we decide to start flying again?