Interesting info on the VBR

jimntx

Veteran
Jun 28, 2003
Dallas, TX
www.usaviation.com
I was reading the VBR document for flight attendants on Jetnet, and found something that was most interesting. It turns out that if you are already 55 and eligible for retirement, you are also eligible for the VBR. I, along with several people I talked with, was under the impression that if you were already eligible for retirement then you could apply for that but not the VBR. Not so.

If I were over 55 (which I am) and had the years (which I do not), I believe I would take the opportunity to collect an additional $15,000 for my retirement nest egg, wouldn't you? Note it says that "you are eligible to retire immediately after your VBR separation, but then it goes on to note that you don't have to do it immediately. I think they were just trying to specify that taking the VBR would in no way limit or extend the time before you could take retirement.

From the document on Jetnet:
"If you are already Age 55
If you are already Age 55 with at least 15 years of service, you are eligible to retire immediately after your VBR separation from the company. (underlining by me)

Here are a few tips to help with your transition:
• Contact a Retirement Counselor who can help you with pension and retiree medical information. Even though you may be eligible for retiree medical immediately, you may want to elect the reduced rate COBRA coverage for six months that is provided under the VRP. The Retirement Counselor can assist you in this decision
• Contact HR Services at (800) 447-2000 to commence your retiree travel privileges even if you choose not to begin your retiree pension or medical benefits.

Sounds similar to what was offered to management a few years ago. The date by which your travel starts and your pension starts are mutually exclusive. Drawing the pension at 55 vs. 60 reduces the monthly payment by a sizable amount IIRC....