International airline to allow cell phone chatter on planes

jimntx

Veteran
Jun 28, 2003
Dallas, TX
www.usaviation.com
I can't decide whether to slit my wrists now, or wait for the committee decision here in the U.S.

Link to article at CNN.com

"U.S. carriers don't allow in-flight cell phone calls, although the FAA is reviewing the safety concerns associated with mobile calls made in the air.

The regulatory agency has asked a committee to conduct a study looking at whether portable electronic devices like cell phones interfere with aircraft navigation systems. Findings of the study are due at the end of December."

As flight attendants, we will have an added job of "who's talking loudest" referee. I can just hear it now...

"Would you shut that woman up who is talking and crying to her dying mother? I have important work to do here."

"Hey, tell that guy over there he's talking too loud. I'm trying to sleep."

"How am I supposed to arrange a date in Vegas with the Captain talking on the PA all the time? I don't care that we are over western Colorado."

Shame. Cell phones have no business on a commercial airliner. This can only be negative.

Shame. Cell phones have no business on a commercial airliner. This can only be negative.

Big shame. Though I have not had any negative NAV experience, I was able to hear my SIC's phone in my headset when it was on as it itterogated the cell network. This would happen at times as we rolled down the runway in the DO-328 (does the cell phone belong on the checklist?)... This is enough to tell me that it could have a negative effect and they have no place being on when the AC is in motion.