International Longshoremans Association (ILA) set to STRIKE on New Years Eve

They ARE the "Last of the Mohicans", thats for sure Sparrow.

Notice how NO ONE EVER..cross's an ILWU/ILA picket line ?

southwind. I Wonder WHY that is ??????????

Well perhaps it's because of my favorite clip from Matewan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwEMIvDEFy4

Watch it folks. As a point of order the real Joe Kenaghan was a pacifist possibly Mennonite from near Hazelton , PA. I used to work with his great great grand niece Maura.

Well perhaps it's because of my favorite clip from Matewan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwEMIvDEFy4

Watch it folks. As a point of order the real Joe Kenaghan was a pacifist possibly Mennonite from near Hazelton , PA. I used to work with his great great grand niece Maura.

Sparrow,
I own that Fabulous movie (somewhere), and it's as 'real, as real can be'
Be it Longshoremen/Cops/Firemen/Railroaders(especially locomotive engineers)..The Irishman is by FAR(in general of course) the BEST UNION man walking !!!

NO! I've stated from the day I started posting that working union was not for me.

Part of the reason is that no Union with the exception of the Longshoreman have any balls. If I'm paying $xx.xx/mo in dues I expect a return on my investment. The ILA delivers a significant ROI to its members

I've always said if we're going to have a union then GD it let's have one and go out and kick ass. Again ILA fills the bill.

Additionally people have the right to join together to promote common goals and interest. My views on what is wrong with modern day trade unionism are widely known. Repeating them here because you can't follow along serves no purpose.

ILA is "Old School" and I can't help but wonder how things would be different with a little more Old School at the bargaining table.
I was referring to Barry-O's post, stating that your comment brought him to tears !

They ARE the "Last of the Mohicans", thats for sure Sparrow.

Notice how NO ONE EVER..cross's an ILWU/ILA picket line ?

southwind. I Wonder WHY that is ??????????
I don't cross anyones picket line !
Wouldn't matter if it were the Longshoreman , Hostess or ToysRus!

Reactions: 1 person
Those guys in the clip, sure sound like "Racist"!

"It were in 19 and 20 in the Southwest fields and times were rough, The miners wanted to bring the union in and the coal operators and their gun thugs were set on keeping them out. Them was hand loadin' days and they paid you by the ton. They didn't care no more for a man then they done for a draft mule.

Those coal miners were hard people they weren't nobody you wanted to mess with. It all came to a head here on the Tug Fork in the little town of Matewan."

The above quote comes from the opening monologue of the Movie Matewan. Yes the folks in WV were racist, The James Earl Jones character did exist. Few clothes Johnson was NOT a Hollywood creation. Most have no idea of how important the events at Matewan would be. The Sheriff, Sid Hatfield was shot in broad daylight 13 times and no trial. Shot on the steps of the McDowell County Courthouse. A little while latter the miners armed themselves and fought it out with the state militia, the Baldwins, local sheriff's department in what became the battle of Blair Mountain. It was where the phrase "Redneck" was first used. It described the miner who all wore red handkerchiefs to hide their identity. President Harding had to send troops to restore peace.

As you sit in front of your TV today, Monday & Tuesday remember the rednecks who made it possible nearly 100 years ago..

Reactions: 1 person