Introduction & some advice needed...

Jan 28, 2012
LAX
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the website, just wanted to intoduce myself. Everyone calls me Jaye.

AS my "topic title" says, I'm in need of some advice.

So,

I am a college senior with about 15 months of school left, I am majoring in Business Management, with a concentration in Human Resources. I really want to work at an airline as a ticketing agent. I want to know what the best way is to land me a job with an airline. I don't have any airline working experience but, I do have some administrative, clerical, customer service experience. I think a ticketing agent would be a good fit for me to gain experience and it's entry level. Thanks for any advice in advance, I appreciate it...

Also, I am open to relocation, in fact I would like to get an airline job and then relocate to another state. Also, I am looking for an airline job at LAX, Los Angeles International Airport.

I know that many airlines haven't been hiring or are in the midst of laying people off. I am still holding out hope that I can get an airline position.

I started as a ticket agent, and left as a manager in IT, so definitely it's an easy way to get in, learn the ropes, and find opportunities if you're open to moving & being flexible.

Since LAX is a high cost of living area, if you're already there, you might not have as much competition even with layoffs underway. Few people can really afford to head to SoCal just to save an entry-level job, especially if it is an unpaid move.

Knowing what I know today, I'd look at Southwest or Alaska. Most airlines are unionized for the agents, with AA being the lone exception among the big airlines. Newer airlines like Virgin & JetBlue are also non-union.

Most airlines tend to promote from within for supervisory jobs, which is a better jumping-in point for HR. Few will have entry level HR positions out in the field locations -- for that you'll likely need to move to one of the various HDQ cities.

Yes I have heard...but in everything you do you have to take the bad with the good, and vise versa, you have to take the good with the bad.