Is Southwest Launch Customer for new Boeing

The decision to bring the Boeing 737-800 into our fleet
moved yet another step closer to reality...

Southwest pilots Union Agree On Bigger 737
"Our pilot group has spoken, and wants the addition of this airframe into our fleet," Southwest Airlines Pilots' Association president Carl Kuwitzky said. "Today's agreement should pave the way for Southwest Airlines to proceed with their plans, and the pilots look forward to watching the growth that these new planes should bring with them."

Southwest pilots OK larger Boeing 737s

"Our pilot group has spoken, and wants the addition of this airframe into our fleet."

Southwest pilots OK larger Boeing 737s

Ok, the pilots and Flight attendants have spoken, may I ask what the big deal is about this plane, besides bringing on more hiring. The cockpit is a step back in time compared to 757/767/777. And of course if you go over 150 pax its min now a crew of 4 and an extra I'd think for a short flying time. The only thing I could gather is the pilots would be payed more for a heavier airframe and more pax, other than that, what. Most airlines are flying 737-800 mine included and may be getting the 900.

And of course if you go over 150 pax its min now a crew of 4 and an extra I'd think for a short flying time.

To clarify, it's not the number of passengers on the airplane that requires an additional f/a. It's number of seats. If there are 151 or more seats, but less than 200, FAA minimum crew is 4 f/as. The FAA goes by how many passengers could be carried on a single flight. I just worked a BOS-MIA flight on 757. We had 4 f/as, 32 passengers.

I doubt WN would use the big planes on short hops--like DAL-AUS. Besides, if they can serve a beverage to every passenger on a current 73 with 3 f/as, I'm sure they will find a way to do 200 passengers with 4 f/as.

I can remember years ago being at a meeting of the Maryland Aviation Administration when one of the MAA officials said to everyone at the meeting that Southwest was in discussion with Boeing about buying as many as 60 757. This was when Southwest's new terminal at BWI was still under construction. He stated (and I can not remember the man's name) that several of the new gates were intensionally built to accommodate the 757. Would have been nice to see 757-200s/300s in Southwest colors.

Latest posts