Isp Needs A Cat.3 Ils System.

Feb 11, 2004
Last Night (May 2) many SWA flights were diverted or cancelled because of fog. ISP only has a Cat. 1 ILS, Now, thats find for a small general aviation airport, but the time has come for the ISP airport to step up to the plate and improve the system. Currently, ISP is charging a PFC of $3.00 a pax. so that is were that can get the money, or if this is not possible, an FAA grant for the improvement. If SWA can invest $ 65 Million dollars for a teminal, I think ISP can spend $ 2 Million.

I don't think it has anything to do with politics. A new ILS Cat. 3 antenna would have to be installed in place of the current Cat. 1 antenna, a mid-field RVR reader and an ALSF-2 approach light system in place of the current MALSF lights.

The neighbors see it as a way to increase traffic.
Believe me, I'm all for it. It's definatley a point that was and will always be brought up.

The airport went through a management change. So maybe things will work out. Who knows.

WN added our first long-haul. Aug 8 ISP-LAS.

New terminal should be open sometime around June 7.

I hate to say it, but the people who live around airports and complain are just dumb. ISP has been a commercial size (big jets) airport since 1984. 20 Years. 2 decades. When they came to look at there house before they bought it, did they notice the places coming and going. What about the traffic from the L.I.E. and the Ronkonkoma train station? These people who cry the blues about the airport would be the first likely to complain if they got diverted to another city because of fog. Just face it, the airport is here to stay, its not going anywhere, and it is part of Long Island’s transportation system. I hope SWA puts pressure on ISP management to see the light. Just because 10 people show up at an airport complain session does not mean anything.

Also it’s great that the terminal is opening in early June. Just in time for the large number of people traveling to Long Island for the U.S. Golf Open beginning on June 17 out in Southampton.

I have no sympathy for these bitchalots. I used to live in an apartment building in Queens chock full of people who did nothing but complain 24 hours a day. It was at least as irritating as a flight diversion due to fog that could have been avoided with better equipment.

Too bad Southwest didn't hang on to that green 727 they once had (from Morris?). Fly that baby on an hourly ISP-PVD shuttle at full takeoff power from ISP until the whiny ISP neighbors SHUT THE HELL UP. :angry:

ISP has had commercial jet traffic going back to 1971!! There were DC-9's, 727-100's to Chicago, and in the mid 80's, Northeastern International actually flew a DC-8 which was NOT hushkitted!

These people complain and complain, but they would complain even louder if they missed their flight.....

Back