January 31 Airline News

Bob,i hail from PIT.i'm 3 yrs older than you and she is 8 yrs junior to you.we were going to drive but the weather is gloomy and she really couldn't make up her mind.so dinner for two and what ever else comes down the pike.take a big bite out of the apple for me!

[P]
[BLOCKQUOTE][BR]----------------[BR]On 12/31/2002 3:09:10 PM PineyBob wrote:
[P]
[BLOCKQUOTE][BR]----------------[BR]On 12/31/2002 2:40:10 PM ITRADE wrote: [BR][BR]Don't get too drunk.[BR][BR]Wear a condom.[BR][BR]Report the person with a detonator to the nearest police officer.[BR]----------------[BR][/BLOCKQUOTE][BR][BR]I won't just a bottle of bubbly for us.[BR][BR]Don't need a raincoat we are exclusive for nearly 2 years. Thinking of asking Ben B. to marry us on a PHL - PIT flight. [BR][BR]
[P][/P]----------------[/BLOCKQUOTE]
[P]Thats what my wife said. She was pregnant two weeks later.[/P]

DellDude[BR][BR] We are the same age, but I look ten years your junior

DellDude,

Gee, maybe you should get an AARP card for getting those senior discount deals......

Its amazing, U is about to go down the toilet and all you guys care about is pontificating about United. U has NOTHING to leverage themselves with. At least United has assets to leverage themselves while they go about restructuring. This is exactly the reason that U, thank God, is surely going to be out of bx by summer. Worry about your own company - not others. And by the way I don't work for United.

TO CONTINUE with speculation.

Speculate for a second that USAir survives but United does not. IN say, 8/03, United liquidates. What do you think the chances are that USAirways could go in and say, buy out the slots out of Denver and use Denver as a hub out to the west coast. Or Chicago. And buy slots to the Orient. And Japan. Where would the money come from? I doubt the US Government would let American or Delta expand further.

What do you think?

And by the way I don't work for United. [BR]-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------[BR][BR] Then my dear, Don't get your panites in an uproar

[blockquote]
----------------
On 12/31/2002 4:44:19 PM Heinrich wrote:

Speculate for a second that USAir survives but United does not. IN say, 8/03, United liquidates. What do you think the chances are that USAirways could go in and say, buy out the slots out of Denver and use Denver as a hub out to the west coast. Or Chicago. And buy slots to the Orient. And Japan. Where would the money come from? I doubt the US Government would let American or Delta expand further.

What do you think?
----------------
[/blockquote]
First of all, there are no (landing) "slots" to buy at ORD or DEN (except for some international rights as you indicated), rather it would be another airline assuming UAL's leases and operations at these airports. In any case, even these international slots would be worthless without the presence/development of a stong feeder network at both ORD and DEN.

Second, at DEN, I believe Continental would be very interested in a re-assuming their former hub in Denver, and would be much more financially able to do so as compared to U.

Third, don't forget about Frontier which is already at DEN. They're getting new Airbus's all the time, and accelereated delivery schedules won't be hard to come by from Airbus these days.

Finally, remember that Southwest used to serve Denver but pulled out due to the higher lease and landing costs after Stapleton shut down. Perhaps Denver would be interested in attracting SW if UAL were to disappear.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 12/31/2002 4:44:19 PM Heinrich wrote:

What do you think?
Buy with what.....U doesn't project a profit till 2008!!

[blockquote]
----------------
On 12/31/2002 10:15:27 AM PineyBob wrote:

WOW! 3.2 Billion! How can they come out of their death spiral? The infighting makes what goes on here like a school picnic. I am more convinced that we will soon see the liquidation of the nations second largest airline with each passing day. I wonder what the Dave's have in the way of "Plan B" for a code share partner?

Perhaps re-do the business model and partner with America West?
----------------
Why would you want to bring down a perfectly good carrier by infesting it with US???

US Airways Plan of Reorganization (POR) and Disclosure Statement predicts a $229 million net loss in 2003 based on $5.7 billion in revenues. Most of this loss will be in the first quarter and the company may be profitable by mid-year.[BR][BR]The filing forecasts the airline will have a $122 million profit in 2004 rising to $269 million per year in 2009 based on $7.9 billion in revenues and a 7 percent profit margin.[BR][BR]OMB guidelines permit the ATSB to use joint loan guarantee funds for a merger or asset acquisition. Therefore, if UA & US negotiated a transaction, the government could guarantee funding for up to $2.7 billion of a $3 billion loan, if US & UA were the joint applicants for a corporate transaction.[BR][BR]The US ALPA December 14 counter proposal to the company included a clause titled RSA Acquisition Support. The clause would have required RSA to provide up to $250 million, which could have been used as the private portion of the funds required for the ATSB to approve a $2.5 billion joint loan guarantee, if US management decided to acquire assets of an airline that has over $3 billion in quarterly revenue. The company objected to this proposal, but one should ask why did the ALPA Negotiating Committee include this clause in pilot contract language?[BR][BR]If UA is forced to sell assets to fund on-going operations, would it be better to sell the assets to your domestic alliance business partner, to recapture revenue per the alliance and strengthen your business plan and POR, or to sell the assets to your competition with no revenue benefit?[BR][BR]Chip

[blockquote]
----------------
On 12/31/2002 10:33:35 PM chipmunn wrote:

The company objected to this proposal, but one should ask why did the ALPA Negotiating Committee include this clause in pilot contract language?

----------------
[/blockquote]

Wishful thinking. Why bother with UAL, you guys, with all your cash, could go tender a buyout of AMR, DAL, AND NWA

f UA is forced to sell assets to fund on-going operations, would it be better to sell the assets to your domestic alliance business partner, to recapture revenue per the alliance and strengthen your business plan and POR, or to sell the assets to your competition with no revenue benefit?
--------------------

That's exactly what I was thinking, although you phrased it much better than I.