Jblu Not So Shiny

skyflyr69

Senior
Dec 11, 2002
Is JetBlue losing its luster? When is good news bad? Look no further than JetBlue, which despite still ranking among fliers' favorite airlines, has seen complaints rise over the first four months of the year. The airline ranked last among the major reporting on-time arrival data for both January and March, something the airline attributed primarily to poor weather and congestion at Fort Lauderdale airport. Passenger complaints targeting JetBlue are up marginally at the Department of Transportation, but are still well below the industry average. In fact, the carrier ranks No. 2 among all airlines for having the fewest complaints. "I think that when expectations are high, it's hard to continue to dazzle them," JetBlue CEO David Neeleman tells The New York Times (free registration). "When we see the industry crumbling around us, there's no room for complacency." Others say they dislike JetBlue's lack of first-class and elite-level perks. But the airline remains poised for future growth while enjoying satisfaction numbers that are the envy of much of the industry. After flying on another discount carrier, one frequent JetBlue traveler tells The Times the service "was horrible. I'm back to loving JetBlue again." Posted 6:45 a.m.

usa today online

:p

Mostly growing pains but if it isn't managed properly then jetblue could be in a bit of trouble.

JetBlue is growing too fast. Expanding to international markets is stupid right now, even if it's to the Caribbean.

TheDog2004 said:
Mostly growing pains but if it isn't managed properly then jetblue could be in a bit of trouble.

JetBlue is growing too fast. Expanding to international markets is stupid right now, even if it's to the Caribbean.
[post="272854"][/post]​

I agree with you completely.

Doesn't that kinda sum up why most upstarts fail? PeoplExpress, WesternPacific, Midway, etc. Even HP did it with its 747s a decade ago.

Some are even saying that WN's recent growth spurts make it vulnerable to "growing too fast" syndrome, but it's got a long term history of success, something B6 lacks.

All:

JB is growing fast, but not too fast. They are adding flights and aircraft, and as long as they are adding profitable capacity, it makes sense.

What JB lacks is the infrastructure to grow without pains. Of course, the beginning of the year problems were more weather/atc/facilities problems. These problems were very specific to the airport/airspace and the fact that JB does 40 minute turns. These turns are hard to pull off, with high loads, so if a plane is 2 hours late getting into JFK at 4 pm, it would take a 10 minute time gain on 12 different flight segments to get the aircraft back on time. No easy feat. And since the aircraft fly all night as well, there is no holiday getting them back on time.

Boomer

You have to look at the time frame this was measured. This winter was difficult with all the weather delays. We at Ua had many flight delays as well.

Everyone I talk to likes Jblu. Many ua f/a's like the accessability of being able to travel from south Fl to Iad and lga.

Good grief...I've read the first three threads on this board, and I'm amazed at the outright jealousy and contempt that other airlines' employees seem to have towards jetBlue. There seems to be this glee about any misfortune or challenge that befalls jetBlue.

How pathetic. I guess it's true what they say - misery loves company.

skyflyr69, your motives are obvious. Give it up. It only makes you look envious at their success.

The truth of the matter is, jetBlue is doing pretty darn well for themselves. And whether you agree with their tactics or not, it seems to be working well for them.
I don't see their employees suffering mass layoffs or being asked to take huge paycuts. For the most part, they seem to be pretty happy.

So give it a rest already.

Oh...and by the way, I don't work for jetBlue. I work for Southwest.

I think that everyone is shooting for the man on the top of the mountain. They have been shooting at SWA for the past 10 years and now that Jetblue has done everything to show that it is the heir apparent to SWA, people are now shooting at Jetblue. IMO Jetblue has grown quickly, but no to fast. Some of the initial expansion was to get that critical mass which you need to survive. Now Jetblue is steady and well planned in its expansion. The only downfall that I see right now is that fact that some of the cities see just 1 flight at night. I know that will change. Keep reaching for the stars, because rarely does one fall in to your lap.