Study Shows Lccs Outshine Legacy Carriers

GadgetFreak said:
Ch. 12, people like JetBlue and WN more because they are on time more, get thier bags there more often and dont make them wait as long. It has nothing to do with the fact that they dont treat frequent flyers as well. Whether benefits for frequent flyers is worth it is a separate issue. It has nothing to do with why JetBlue and WN are more popular. And I didnt say that JetBlue and WN werent more pupular, they are. I said that this survey was not for the most part a popularity contest but a measure of the quality of the airlines operations. And the fact that JetBlue and WN are more popular is not based solely or even mostly on cost, it is based on the fact that they do the basics of airline operations better than the majors. That is why they are more popular.
I don't even know where to begin. Instead of just glancing over my post and trying to deduce my argument based on the few words that you happend to scan, READ it.
I NEVER said that JB and WN don't treat FFs as well.
I AM NOT comparing the value benefits provided to FFs.
I NEVER said that you had said JB and WN were not more popular.
I NEVER said that the LCCs are popular b/c of their costs.

Please re-read my post and you will see that I am talking about the amount of EFFORT that is put into appeasing the FFs. The legacies have long thought that the golden egg to profitablility is to bend over backwards for elites to meet their ever-growing needs. With so much effort focused on this mission, they have forgotten about the basics...getting luggage ontime, ontime departures/arrivals, etc. Meanwhile, the LCC difference is actually more in culture than in costs. The LCCs know that ALL customers are the key to profitability...not just the top tier of FFs that the legacies think contribute much more to the bottom line than they actually do. The LCCs are not bogged down by the war that exists among the others to keep upping the ante of FF coddling. The LCCs spend this effort appeasing all passengers in a simple way which keeps them moving, keeps flights on time, and actually boosts the morale of their employees.

No...I am not saying that this is directly related to the original article but ignorance to this difference is what will keep the legacies from competing effectively with the LCCs in popularity and profitability contests. I guarantee you that even if the legacies continue to chip away at costs to get down to the levels of the LCCs (quite a battle), they still have missed the point and the bulk of customers will not enjoy the service...AND operations will still suck. But I do say that if they can change their culture and get over the outdated ideas that the "top 10%" is where ALL of the revenue is located then the legacies can be formidable in direct market competition. Apparently, though, that lesson will never be learned.

Poster by Ch.12

"I don't even know where to begin. Instead of just glancing over my post and trying to deduce my argument based on the few words that you happend to scan, READ it.
I NEVER said that JB and WN don't treat FFs as well.
I AM NOT comparing the value benefits provided to FFs.
I NEVER said that you had said JB and WN were not more popular.
I NEVER said that the LCCs are popular b/c of their costs."

"I NEVER said that JB and WN don't treat FFs as well. "

I dont think I said you did.

"I AM NOT comparing the value benefits provided to FFs. "

I thought (still do) think you are. I think you are correct it is important, but not to this issue.

"I NEVER said that you had said JB and WN were not more popular."

I was simply clarifying my point that while I am saying the Omaha study isnt a popularity contest, that doesnt mean that the winners arent popular.

"I NEVER said that the LCCs are popular b/c of their costs."

You are correct. Sorry, I wasnt clear on that point as to who said that. Orwell and others earlier in the thread said things to this effect and I didnt clarify who said it. I didnt mean you. In fact, although you responded to my original post about "missing the point" I actually wasnt talking about any of your posts, and didnt in that original post refer to you as if I was.

Im not making myself clear. The things being measured have nothing to do with frequent flyers. If the plane is on time it is on time for frequent flyers and first time flyers. More or less baggage isnt lost differentially. I think that whether the cost of FF programs justifies the benefit is something that is and should be constantly eveluated. But it doesnt effect the things being measured here. There are basic operational parameters that for the most part equally effect everyone on the plane no matter how much they paid. My main point was that this "quality" rating is a rather objective evaluation of operations and not the result of a popularity contest. I dont think there is much doubt about that. And I dont see how effort spent on frequent flyers effects those parameters.

GadgetFreak said:
...people like JetBlue and WN more because they are on time more, get thier bags there more often and dont make them wait as long.
I vividly remember gate checking an umbrella stroller on WN about ten years ago, only not to have it brought to the gate at our destination. We then had to wait, over an hour, with a squirming toddler (not a lap child), for it to show up on luggage carousel (we did not check in any other luggage). That was after I went to the customer service office to inquire about its whereabouts. Cannot honestly say that I was overly impressed by their competency.

It is all about customer expectations, or lack thereof.

TWAnr said:
I vividly remember gate checking an umbrella stroller on WN about ten years ago, only not to have it brought to the gate at our destination.
One thing I'll say in AA's favor is that they aren't so silly about umbrella strollers as TWA was and some other airlines seem to be. About five years ago I took the wife and 7 month old daughter to SEA on my own TWA. We checked everything and took a single diaper bag and umbrella stroller on board the AC. The FA insisted the stroller be checked. We could have dragged on three huge tanks-on-wheels and no one would have batted an eyelash.

MK