Judge rules Mesaba CAN'T impose concessions

For the second time in the span of a week,(remainder of huge quoted post edited out by moderator)

HOLY COW!!! :shock: As usual you have your facts and even your carrier wrong. The decision by Judge Davis yesterday dealt with Mesaba, not Northwest. At NWA all of the Unions except the AFA have agreed to concessions and its right to strike is now being litigated. The concessions imposed on the NWA mechanics were not imposed by the Bankruptcy Judge. AMFA and NWA were released to engage in self help and the Company was freed to impose what now exists. The AMFA represented NWA mechanics have no appeal to any Court on the Company imposed pay and working conditions.
At Mesaba, ALPA, AFA, and AMFA did not agree with the Company demands and all appealed the decision of the Bankruptcy Judge. Judge Davis (a Clinton appointee) ruled that the Company needed the concessions, but didn't bargain in good faith and, therefore, wouldn't allow the Company to impose them. By all accounts, the primary spokespeople at the arguments were the ALPA and AFA lawyers and, hopefully, Davis' decision will withstand appeal and the Company won't liquidate. As things now stand pay and benefits for Mesaba workers are near the bottom of the regional industry.

Oh, and by the way, before people start spinning the decision they should actually read it. Unfortunately, Judge Davis did not say "snapbacks are a must." What he actually said was that "a debtor is not always required to include a snapback provision in its 1113 proposal." However,he also found that one of the Company's "non-negotiable" demands was for a six year pay freeze after the concessions were imposed. He stated that "a debtor must at least consider the possibility of including a snapback provision in its proposals" and that "Mesaba demonstrated bad faith by wholly refusing to negotiate regarding snapbacks."

I just read that the New York Court has continued to prevent the flight attendents from striking at NWA. Probably a Bush appointee.

Probably a Bush appointee.
Try again

Nominated by William J. Clinton on May 27, 1999, to a seat vacated by Sonia Sotomayor; Confirmed by the Senate on October 1, 1999, and received commission on October 5, 1999.

The Mesaba judge was also appointed by Clinton and ruled quite the opposite of this judge. Better off following the money trail, then the political nominations.

HOLY COW!!! :shock: As usual you have your facts and even your carrier wrong. The decision by Judge Davis yesterday dealt with Mesaba, not Northwest. At NWA all of the Unions except the AFA have agreed to concessions and its right to strike is now being litigated. The concessions imposed on the NWA mechanics were not imposed by the Bankruptcy Judge. AMFA and NWA were released to engage in self help and the Company was freed to impose what now exists. The AMFA represented NWA mechanics have no appeal to any Court on the Company imposed pay and working conditions.
At Mesaba, ALPA, AFA, and AMFA did not agree with the Company demands and all appealed the decision of the Bankruptcy Judge. Judge Davis (a Clinton appointee) ruled that the Company needed the concessions, but didn't bargain in good faith and, therefore, wouldn't allow the Company to impose them. By all accounts, the primary spokespeople at the arguments were the ALPA and AFA lawyers and, hopefully, Davis' decision will withstand appeal and the Company won't liquidate. As things now stand pay and benefits for Mesaba workers are near the bottom of the regional industry.
I did not have the wrong airline. What I said was this gives the mechanics at Northwest new leverage by the fact that they can appeal the bankruptcy judges ruling on their own work rules and mechanics at Northwest are still on strike or can't you read. That's why the judge granted them unemployment.I don't know who Northwest has an agreement with but it's not the AMFA mechanics. I must say I think I hit a nerve.

I did not have the wrong airline. What I said was this gives the mechanics at Northwest new leverage by the fact that they can appeal the bankruptcy judges ruling on their own work rules and mechanics at Northwest are still on strike or can't you read. That's why the judge granted them unemployment.I don't know who Northwest has an agreement with but it's not the AMFA mechanics. I must say I think I hit a nerve.

No Mark, you didn't hit a nerve. You just don't know what you are talking about. The Mesaba decision sends the unions (ALPA, AFA, AMFA) back to the table to try again to negotiate concessions for Mesaba employees--concessions the Court said the Company needed. The Northwest mechanic agreement is not and has never been before the bankruptcy judge. Neither is the company imposed pay and outsourcing. There was nothing appealed on this issue and nothing to appeal. Their contract is gone and there is nothing any court can do about it, and nothing any court can do to change the Company imposed pay, outsourcing, and rules.

None of this had anything to do with the appeal on unemployment benefits. That was a decision by a state court giving a thousand or so mechnics at most 26 weeks of pay because they have lost their jobs. That's the same deal that was given the poor cleaners and plant maintenance people whose jobs are also gone forever and the same deal that was provided in most other states. That's the only issue the court had the power to decide, and there is nothing it can or will do to get rid of the scabs or give people their jobs back. If that is what you are suggesting, you are simply wrong.

No Mark, you didn't hit a nerve. You just don't know what you are talking about. The Mesaba decision sends the unions (ALPA, AFA, AMFA) back to the table to try again to negotiate concessions for Mesaba employees--concessions the Court said the Company needed. The Northwest mechanic agreement is not and has never been before the bankruptcy judge. Neither is the company imposed pay and outsourcing. There was nothing appealed on this issue and nothing to appeal. Their contract is gone and there is nothing any court can do about it, and nothing any court can do to change the Company imposed pay, outsourcing, and rules.

None of this had anything to do with the appeal on unemployment benefits. That was a decision by a state court giving a thousand or so mechnics at most 26 weeks of pay because they have lost their jobs. That's the same deal that was given the poor cleaners and plant maintenance people whose jobs are also gone forever and the same deal that was provided in most other states. That's the only issue the court had the power to decide, and there is nothing it can or will do to get rid of the scabs or give people their jobs back. If that is what you are suggesting, you are simply wrong.
What I am saying is Northwest did not have the legal right to nullify there mechanics contract. I think northwest mech's can do the same thing masaba workers did. I also said that AMFA did not reach agreement yet which allows them to appeal to the district court the company friendly bankrupticy judges ruling.