Kellys Comments On U/hp Merger

SWAFA30 said:
The millions of people that travel on both carriers every year might disagree. I guess it all depends on how and what you define as "transportation".
[post="271168"][/post]​

Read closely . . . transportation system. A system means more than flying only to high density markets. It means being able to connect seemlessly (without dragging your bags all over creation) to US and international cities from small and medium size cities in the U.S.

Winglet said:
Read closely . . . transportation system. A system means more than flying only to high density markets. It means being able to connect seemlessly (without dragging your bags all over creation) to US and international cities from small and medium size cities in the U.S.
[post="271236"][/post]​

This is the only definition that we need to be concerned about:

prof·it (prŏf'ĭt)
n.
An advantageous gain or return; benefit.
The return received on a business undertaking after all operating expenses have been met.

The return received on an investment after all charges have been paid. Often used in the plural.
The rate of increase in the net worth of a business enterprise in a given accounting period.
Income received from investments or property.
The amount received for a commodity or service in excess of the original cost.

Winglet said:
Now, the legacy airlines are, in effect subsidising small city customers flying in grossly expesive RJs just for the cash flow.
[post="271117"][/post]​

Who exactly held a gun to the heads of the legacy carriers and forced them to "wholly own" the regionals? Seems to me that the market for stand alone regional carriers could exist, although it would cost residents of Bugtussle a bit more to use them. Instead, in the 'be all things to all people' strategy of the legacies, they BOUGHT the regionals, and now you seem to be complaining that you can't understand why you can't tell the folks in Bugtussle that they either need to pay the price or drive 3 hours to Hooterville to get a lower fare. You're still thinking of the regulation days - back when you HAD to serve bugtussle (in a 727 at that!) yet the regulated fares made it profitable. And now those "grossly expensive" RJ's are being used on routes like IND-MCI, MCI-CLT, and others.

Just got back from Indy and flew on a sardine can - nice flight, nice employees, horribly uncomfortable RJ - but they only charged me $194 for the ticket (taxes included). And when I booked - 30 of the 40 seats were already taken. Why such a low fare on a grossly expensive RJ? Why are the "legacy's" opting to utilize RJ's on routes between cities that are considerably larger than Bugtussle?

Winglet said:
[post="271236"][/post]​

Winglet, LUV hasn't lost money in 30 plus years. What are you trying to get at?

Winglet said:
[post="271236"][/post]​

1) Why does any corporation have to provide a "system" (as defined by you) if its not profitable to do so? WN worked out a long time a go the the auto-feeder network (i.e., market served within a 2 hr drive to the airport) is a lot more profitable than the RJ/prop feeder network.

2) WN serves plenty of communities ignored by all other majors: ISP, MHT, PVD, Lubbock, Amarillo, Burbank. The idea that WN is a cherry picker doesn't stand scrutiny. Plus, look at the route map. It might only be 60-odd cities, but oit still look slike a pretty comprehensive nationwide system to me. 3 flights a day in an RJ to a hub doth not a "system" make.

Winglet said:
Read closely . . . transportation system. A system means more than flying only to high density markets.

Oh...you mean like

Lubbock, TX?
Jackson, MS?
Tucson, AZ?
Boise, ID?
El Paso, TX?
Tulsa, OK?
Amarillo, TX?

The above are all Southwest Cities and while they are all lovely destinations, they can hardly be described as High Density markets.

It means being able to connect seemlessly (without dragging your bags all over creation) to US and international cities from small and medium size cities in the U.S.
[post="271236"][/post]​

Says who? In 2004, Southwest enplaned over 80 million passengers, that is one heck of a lot of transportation. Just because a carrier doesn't offer connecting service to Barcelona from every township with a paved landing strip doesn't mean they are not providing transportation.

Oh...you mean like

Lubbock, TX?
Jackson, MS?
Tucson, AZ?
Boise, ID?
El Paso, TX?
Tulsa, OK?
Amarillo, TX?

Hey, you forgot some of my big time favorites:

Harlingen
Spokane
Little Rock