Labor and February 1st

Tim Nelson

Veteran
Jan 5, 2003
Bartlett
www.usaviation.com
It appears that Parker should have a clearer picture if the Delta Air Lines merger will proceed by February 1st.

If the creditor's become more friendly and a merger does proceed, then it seems unlikely to me that US AIRWAYS would proceed aggressively with the IAM in negotiations since a representational dispute is likely to occur.

A merger of the two airlines will force a representational dispute in which case it would appear likely that the IAM will not be able to pull the majority of voters for fleet, and possibly the M & R.

The IAM is already moving forward on Delta with fleet service and has established a Delta organizing committee to start manufacturing consent before the merger. We've seen this before with the IBT in the USair/Piedmont merger.

I suspect that the AFA and CWA are also going to be in for a fight to stay on the property should a merger be completed. The only surviving unions may be ALPA and the TWU [dispatchers]

OTOH, if the Delta creditors remain cold to US AIRWAYS then IMO US AIRWAYS will have to move more aggressive in negotiations to come to an agreement.

regards,

My opinion above was pertaining to 'things involving a merger'.
However, it should be noted that the IAM 141 Boss has not given any indication so far this year through his two severely truncated letters that the negotiations are dragging, contrary to what Jimmy Neutron and others seem to be suggesting.

Therefore, I'd be very careful of listening to those who can't stand behind their name on the internet.
Jimmy or others who have unsubstantiated 'unsigned internet negotiation reports' while at the same time publically suggesting that individuals take it upon themself to resort to 'slowdown' tactics is nothing short of juvenile.
Also, I have nothing against Jimmy but he should be careful of publically mentioning 'safety campaigns.' There have been airline court cases where safety campaigns have been tantamount to a slowdown if the normal and customary environment has been tainted. In such a case, I would suspect the internet would not protect such an individual from a company seeking monetary damages.

As a side, it would be pretty lame of the IAM if its own members start getting desperate and do their own thing, especially since the IAM members are uninformed and ignorant on what's going on.

At any rate, considering an upcoming merger, IMO, I can't see any new agreement unless the IAM gets institutional merger protections that will most likely have to be paid again by IAM members.

regards,

Latest posts