Layoffs in Pit announced

nonrev

Aug 7, 2004
HIGH COMMAND
Visit site
Announced today that one of the 3 tracks left in Pit (Mid Dock) is gone. 48 mechanics, 5 lead mechanics and 5 supervisors. Being we only have a little over 300 mechanics left there that is one hell of a hit. An early retirement incentive will be offered to mimimize the impact of people bumping into Philly. They said all along that the head count between Pit and CLT was over by 115 so this was of no surprize. Expect CLT to do the same type of layoff. Much more coming but I would get my head smacked for posting it on here. Good luck everyone!      

Reactions: 1 person
I wonder if that is because of the 734 had its last overhaul and that some of the bus work has been moved to CLT.

It sucks.  Someone need to make sure the 50% billable hours is being held too, there is suppose to be an audit once a year.

Per the CBA 675 mechanics must be kept in CLT and PIT heavy.

Reactions: 1 person
The Company will not furlough to the street any Base
18 Mechanic who is active as of the effective date of this agreement
19 provided such employee exercises their seniority to the fullest
20 extent. (Subject to force majeure provisions as described in Article
21 5.F and 20.D.2)

22 The Company shall maintain a minimum headcount of six
23 hundred seventy-five (675) active Base Maintenance Lead
24 Mechanics, Mechanics, Inspectors, Lead Utility and Utility
25 employees combined. (Subject to force majeure provisions as
26 described in Article 5.F and 20.D.2.)

I do believe the youngest mechanic there is around 52 years old. 70 year old mechanics were once unheard of but it is becoming more and more not that unusual anymore. I can tell you that a mechanic with 35 years senority does not have the horse power to get weekends off. There is going to be a lot of changes in the first quarter of this year. This topic here will be old news next week.  

nonrev said:
Announced today that one of the 3 tracks left in Pit (Mid Dock) is gone. 48 mechanics, 5 lead mechanics and 5 supervisors. Being we only have a little over 300 mechanics left there that is one hell of a hit. An early retirement incentive will be offered to mimimize the impact of people bumping into Philly. They said all along that the head count between Pit and CLT was over by 115 so this was of no surprize. Expect CLT to do the same type of layoff. Much more coming but I would get my head smacked for posting it on here. Good luck everyone!      
http://newamericanarriving.com/images/uploads/Arrivals_9_5_Edition.pdf
cri1i.jpg

2lauhzk.jpg

nonrev said:
http://www.cwa-union.org/news/entry/american_airlines_us_airways_employees_say_let_us_compete_together/

"For employees, there's no question that the merger of US Airways and American Airlines is very positive," said Tom Gunning, president of CWA Local 1171, one of many locals representing nearly 15,000 CWA and AFA-CWA workers at US Airways. "It will create a stronger, more competitive airline, one that will provide better service and more options to passengers than either of our airlines could do alone. That kind of competition is good for passengers."

He added, "At US Airways, we've already suffered through very turbulent times in our industry. My co-workers and I have suffered through two bankruptcies, pay cuts and that sinking feeling that things might never turn around. American Airlines workers have lost jobs and seen their benefits slashed. Their airline remains in bankruptcy. This merger finally is the opportunity for all our sacrifices to be rewarded."

Activists also included members of AFA-CWA, APA, APFA, IBT, TWU and USAPA.

I don't know about mx but on fleet side there are agents here from Pit with low thirties that have been here a couple of years.

Harry Callahan said:
I agree this is awful news.
Harry
Hi Harry,

I wonder what spin Chip Munn would put on the news. I called him out last year when he said thd merger would be good for ALL employees and that ALL employees needed to support the merger. I never really got a response from him. I figure he is way too busy to respond to a post .

All the best to you,

Bob

Hi Bob:
I guess we shall have to see what his spin is lol. But guess we don't hold our breath.

I just sent email to one of my best friends who is PIT mec. although I think he's on one of the desks in SOC so not sure how this will effect him. Awtg. his reply.
Harry

MOC is not heavy mtc, and you cant bump up, you can only bump lateral or down.

Forgive me if I am wrong but,  didn't we all discuss that this was coming from the merger of AA/US if the merger came thru?  Hate like hell to hear or read about it, but thought most of us seen this coming. Just like the UAL laying off 688 F/A's which is a direct result of the UAL/CAL merger.  I hate to say it but I think there will be more coming in the future from the AA/US merger...

Latest posts