Major U.s. Airlines Have Little Luck Raising Fares

USA320Pilot

Veteran
May 18, 2003
www.usaviation.com
Major U.S. airlines have little luck raising fares

Pricing power has nearly evaporated with weak travel demand and the proliferation of discount carriers

CHICAGO (Reuters) - Gone are the days when U.S. airlines could raise fares at their whim to cover added costs.

See Story

Regards,

USA320Pilot

While I agree with the gist of the article, I am continually amazed by the short memory of the supposed analysts. Does anyone remember when American & Braniff were in heated competition in DFW and Crandel suggested that if Braniff would just raise their fares American would do the same and both could be profitable? Caused quite a stir in government circles.

Since deregulation, there have probably been more failed attempts to raise fares than successful ones - normally because at least one of the network carriers didn't go along, not because of the LCC's.

Jim

BoeingBoy said:
While I agree with the gist of the article, I am continually amazed by the short memory of the supposed analysts. Does anyone remember when American & Braniff were in heated competition in DFW and Crandel suggested that if Braniff would just raise their fares American would do the same and both could be profitable? Caused quite a stir in government circles.
thats because its called collusion and is against the law.

javaboy,

You are correct - it was attempted collusion and against the law. Hardly fits the "able to raise fares at a whim" picture, however.

Even prior to deregulation, the CAB kept something of a lid on fares. If any airline decided "on a whim" to double the compensation of it's employees, it couldn't just double fares. Of course, the CAB also controlled capacity to a large extent so it could be said they kept a "floor" under fares. I guess what I'm saying is that the CAB controlled fares by the requirement that they review and approve all fares.

Jim