Man Drives Suv Into Maui Airport

TravelDude

Advanced
Nov 21, 2003
Man Drives SUV Into Maui Airport

KAHULUI, Hawaii - A man drove a sport utility vehicle into the ticket lobby of Maui's main airport Sunday, then set the vehicle on fire, grounding outgoing flights for hours.

No one was injured in the incident, which the FBI (news - web sites) said was not an act of terrorism.

The man set the Dodge Durango on fire after driving it into Kahului Airport's open-air terminal, said Lowrey Leong, the director of the Transportation Security Administration on Maui.

"I went to knock on the window and he just lit it up," baggage handler Kalani Hoopii told the Honolulu Star-Bulletin. Hoopii said he saw a can of gasoline and a man flicking a lighter.

Flames rose to the ceiling out of the vehicle, which was about 20 feet from the United Airlines ticket counter, Leong said.

The driver, believed to be in his 40s, was in custody and was being questioned by Maui police, officials said. His identity was not immediately released.

The man's motivation was not known, but "there's no reason to believe there's a terrorism nexus," said Pam McCullough, a spokeswoman for the FBI. "There's no cause for alarm."

The crash and fire halted flights for several hours. The airport was evacuated and hundreds of would-be passengers were bused to War Memorial Stadium and elsewhere to wait, officials said.

The incident caused no major damage to the airport, but smoke from the fire caused problems with security screening equipment, said Scott Ishikawa, a spokesman for the state Transportation Department. Ishikawa said baggage probably would be screened by hand when the airport reopened.

TravelDude said:
Man Drives SUV Into Maui Airport

KAHULUI, Hawaii - A man drove a sport utility vehicle into the ticket lobby of Maui's main airport Sunday, then set the vehicle on fire, grounding outgoing flights for hours.

No one was injured in the incident, which the FBI (news - web sites) said was not an act of terrorism.

The man set the Dodge Durango on fire after driving it into Kahului Airport's open-air terminal, said Lowrey Leong, the director of the Transportation Security Administration on Maui.

"I went to knock on the window and he just lit it up," baggage handler Kalani Hoopii told the Honolulu Star-Bulletin. Hoopii said he saw a can of gasoline and a man flicking a lighter.

Flames rose to the ceiling out of the vehicle, which was about 20 feet from the United Airlines ticket counter, Leong said.

The driver, believed to be in his 40s, was in custody and was being questioned by Maui police, officials said. His identity was not immediately released.

The man's motivation was not known, but "there's no reason to believe there's a terrorism nexus," said Pam McCullough, a spokeswoman for the FBI. "There's no cause for alarm."

The crash and fire halted flights for several hours. The airport was evacuated and hundreds of would-be passengers were bused to War Memorial Stadium and elsewhere to wait, officials said.

The incident caused no major damage to the airport, but smoke from the fire caused problems with security screening equipment, said Scott Ishikawa, a spokesman for the state Transportation Department. Ishikawa said baggage probably would be screened by hand when the airport reopened.
Another satisfied Daimler-Chrysler customer!
Wonder if it was the new, bigger, Ram-based Durango (with a Hemi!) or the older, smaller, Dakota-based Durango?
Seriosly, the preceeding post is all I've read/heard on this incident. Would love to know more details, especially the motivation of the idiot...

A very upset husband of an UAL employee drove his Ford Ranger, or attempted to drive it through the front gate at the Indianapolis Maintenance Center probably 4 years ago. Happened right before the midnight shift was to start. Wintertime and I remember seeing all the red & blue lights. I thought someone must have really fallen on the ice.

Lo and behold this truck smashed through a revolving door and into the granite posts that housed the card swipe readers. There was an old man who sat at the turnstiles. Never really saw that guard again. The driver was in the ambulance. But what a site. Wish I had a camera. I think it took them 8 or 10 months to repair the one-off custom doors and windows. They was a security "fishbowl" below with CCTVs and such. Those security fellas seen it coming.

Heard that reasoning the floor after the gates deliberately had glass block sections was so "if a vehicle if made it past the gates" would fall through the floor.

Some ex IMC midnighter may have a photo out there.

Regards,

Johnny Gearpin

mga707 said:
Another satisfied Daimler-Chrysler customer!
Wonder if it was the new, bigger, Ram-based Durango (with a Hemi!) or the older, smaller, Dakota-based Durango?
Seriosly, the preceeding post is all I've read/heard on this incident. Would love to know more details, especially the motivation of the idiot...
This just in........

The vehicle was the HOT new Ram-Based Durango.(and I mean REALLY hot)

What a hot rod, you can really smoke the tires. :up:

Latest posts