Medical Question

patflyer

May 9, 2006
Hello to everyone here, and thank you in advance for your considered reply to this question. A little about me, first. I have loved flying since I was a little boy and my uncle took me up in a Cessna 172 in 1979. I had an assignment for my 4th grade class on clouds and I was going to have an advantage on all of my classmates -- my uncle ran an FBO in Spanaway, Washington! He let me take the controls just long enough that I said, "Let's go get the Cylons," and performed a diving right hand turn -- with my mother and younger sister in back!

Anyway, I have always wanted to become a pilot and was even accepted to the University of North Dakota and Embry Riddle Aeronautical University in Bunnell, Florida in 1987 -- but I went another direction. In 1997, I started the FAA ground school and was nearly complete when a car rear-ended me and ended that course prematurely.

Now, I have narcolepsy which I take a generic form of ritalin for each day. Getting enough sleep almost eradicates any flare up of the condition. I searched the FAA website for medical conditions that would automatically disqualify a pilot, but it seems like a condition that I could not pass even a Class III medical exam. Does anyone on this discussion board know if this condition is absolutely forbidden for a Class III Medical Certificate? How about class II? I was curious whether or not I could spend my retirement as a CFI.

Thank you again for your time.

--Patflyer

Latest posts