Merger Related Questions

OTslave

Advanced
May 24, 2005
1 - Computer System - I've seen the posts, and they say it's Shares. I've also seen other posts, that say it hasn't been decided. Anyone know for sure.

2. Are there any plans to make changes to the interiors of aircraft
a) Leather seats
B) Satellite TV (other LCCs have them)
c) Configurations - will they be changed to present US or will US change to HP's

3. Focus Cities - Particularly LGA
The only location where we have our own building. Are there plans to grow it ?
Reduce Express, add more mainline ? We have 20 gates and vastly underused
by mainline.
Has Mgmt. gone after the Port AUthority of NY & NJ to see if they will allow
LGA-PHX, LGA-LAS daily instead of just Saturdays ? They are hubs for
the new US and UA has authority for DEN. So why not US ?

I think they should change the interior to the seats they have on the E170, leather with movable headrests, and the non-cloth bulkheads that stay alot cleaner.

And, wishful thinking here, but add the P@ssport system at every seat on the Airbus and audio entertainment on the E-Jets.

It’s my understanding the new US Airways will use the SHARES IT program, but that could change and SABRE used instead according to comments made by Doug Parker.

Changing aircraft configurations and seats is very expensive and America West’s corporate communications department indicated in a recent Plane Deal the configurations and interiors will remain the same for the foreseeable future.

LGA, BOS, and DCA will remain focus cities. US Airways has held on and off again discussions with the PA of NY & NJ, but specific merger related discussions have not been made known to station personnel.

Meanwhile, I understand the US Airways and America West Facilities Department is working overtime evaluating what ATO, gate, and other facility leases will be rejected, since the court has placed additional restraints on the company during Bankruptcy II that did not exist during the first “formal reorganization".

In my opinion, LGA will grow. Shortly LGA will see MDA EMB-170 service for the first time and new Shuttle crew pairings, where Shuttle flying will be all one-day trips and no crew overnights. Chip Mayer provided the ALPA MEC with an update last week and the change will lower US Airways’ Shuttle costs by about $2 million per year and improve performance. Cost cuts will be obtained by having DCA, LGA, and BOS crews flying Shuttle one-day versus multiple-day trips that will eliminate virtually all crew aircraft changes, all but one planned deadhead, and eliminate hotel/over night per diem expense.

Finally, I heard today that Donna Paladini is visiting LGA I believe on Wednesday and she should be able to provide the Station and Loretta Bove more information.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

USAirways DOES NOT OWN the LGA TERMINAL.

It is Leased from CO. It was part of the Sweethart Deal in which USAir pulled down EWR flying in favor of LGA. At the same time, CO reduced it's LGA flying in Favor of EWR.

USA320Pilot said:
In my opinion, LGA will grow. Shortly LGA will see MDA EMB-170 service for the first time and new Shuttle crew pairings, where Shuttle flying will be all one-day trips and no crew overnights. Chip Mayer provided the ALPA MEC with an update last week and the change will lower US Airways’ Shuttle costs by about $2 million per year and improve performance. Cost cuts will be obtained by having DCA, LGA, and BOS crews flying Shuttle one-day versus multiple-day trips that will eliminate virtually all crew aircraft changes, all but one planned deadhead, and eliminate hotel/over night per diem expense.

[post="288552"][/post]​

Isn't this how it used to be? You only did Shuttle if you were based in one of the three cities, and it was pretty much all one days. A "Shuttle Day" was usually two round trips, I'm sure they could do six... You stuck with the plane all day.

Mixing in Shuttles with regular pairings is recipe for disaster.

As far as LGA going to LAS/PHX. The Port Authority has been avid with the 1500mi restriction with the exception of SAT1201am-Sun1159am. The excuse given is Long Term Parking issues but the real reason behind the restriction is the Port operates EWR/JFK and LGA. They do not want to compete with itself and wants LGA for primarily shorter haul domestics. Back when the LGA premier terminal first opened up Seth Schoefield and the former management regime offered to build a long term parking garage over the current lot 4 parking lot in exchange for exclusive West coast exemptions. We were denied.

We have to make sure we have the right equipment for LGA/LAS. A couple of years back when there was proposed LGA/LAS on Saturdays, it was the local LGA customer service and Ops whom shot it down. The only equipment they would give us was an A321 and with a minimum fuel load, minimum cargo, and flaps 2 setting, we were going to be resticted to 55 pax ! We asked them for a 757 or even a A319 but said all aircraft at that time were on other routes.