Phoenix commuter carrier Mesa Air is considering an investment in US Airways
that would lift the nation's seventh-largest carrier out of bankruptcy for the
second time in two years.

Any deal still appears to be in the discussion phase. But Mesa Chief Executive
Officer Jonathan Ornstein could propose an infusion of capital large enough to
give Mesa majority control of an airline for which it already provides commuter
service under the US Airways Express banner, according to an industry source
who asked not to be named.

REMAINDER DELETED: POST THE LINK POR FAVOR.

Talking to people who use to work for and negotiate against JO when he ran COEX, he was fair to deal with.

It seems I've long posted about a fantasy of a restructured US/UA/HP as the Star Alliance operation in the US. But the system is telling me I cant search my posts, cuz I'm not a member?

He ran COEX very well and it is one of the most succesful regional carriers.

RowUnderDCA said:
It seems I've long posted about a fantasy of a restructured US/UA/HP as the Star Alliance operation in the US. But the system is telling me I cant search my posts, cuz I'm not a member?
[post="254622"][/post]​
the admin's shut that down from time to time to conserve bandwidth..

Because US has no oversite on Mesa, remember JO and Siegel are best friends. Dave gave Johnny free reign and Big Al certainly has shown he does not care about how the airline runs.

It appears that "wanna' be" Ornstein is a little worried about Air Wisconsin possibly taking his flying. He just may have to pony up some cash to stay in the game.

Feb 24 2003, 06:54 AM Post #7

Group: Founders Club
Member No.: 1,068

RE: U and UAL fantasy combinations

[combine as little with UA] as needed to get U into Star, hook up with Am West and pursue growth opportunities that represent value for the FUTURE of the airline industry, not the PAST.

But, of course, ITRADE is the grandfather of U/HP speculation.

I think oldpropguy has it right... The Air Wisconsin deal forces the other Express contract carriers to step up to the plate.

And most folks seem to attribute to Orenstein a desire to run a mainline carrier.

Finally, Orenstein is a wheeler-dealer type.

So this is not a very surprising development.

JO is blowing smoke. Mesa is going to have to provide equity (pay to play) in order to maintain its contract with US Airways. This press release is just a way for JO to save face. He's trying to make it look like it was his choice to provide equity for US Airways when in reality he is responding to the Air Wisconsin deal.

A month ago JO put out a press release saying he thought US Airways was going to go out of business and Mesa was searching for other options. Now, JO is willing to put up Mesa's operating cash to buy an airline that a month ago he thought was doomed. Which way is it JO? Is US Airways going out of business or are we a sound investment?

If you follow JO you've probably already noticed he puts out an outlandish press release about once every six weeks. He is the Kim Jong Il of airline managers. Talk of buying US Airways distracts his underpaid workforce from realizing they work at the worst airline in the nation. Instead of complaining about reduced rest and five day trips they can fantasize about the day Mesa staples mainline to the bottom of their seniority list.

Leave......and go where.

PineyBob said:
Mesa's compensation strategy, as told by Ornstein: "As long as people are still applying, I'm paying you too much."

When thinking about the prospects of JO owning US Airways, I think I'd rather see them close the doors. Knowing his attitude regarding employees as shown by his own words above I'm thinking it would be to painful as a customer to fly what was US Airways. I would also think that most of the truly great employees would also leave.
[post="254715"][/post]​

PineyBob said:
Probably end up as a gold on CO/NW and a Silver on DL. NOT my favorite choice but I've had an unpleasant experience or 2 with Mesa.

In fact I'm on line right now deciding if I want to be loyal to US on a flight to MKE when Midwest goes there for the same funds on a B717 or take a chance with Mess-Up on a 50 seat CRJ.
[post="254727"][/post]​

My understanding, Piney, is that Midwest has LIMES....isn't it obvious?