MIA commission OKs $1B MIA budget increase

FA Mikey

Veteran
Aug 19, 2002
miami
goldwatermiller08.com
The Miami-Dade County Commission Thursday unanimously approved a nearly $1 billion increase in Miami International Airport's construction program, bringing the total cost to $6.2 billion.

The vast majority of the higher price tag relates to the airport's $2.66 billion North Terminal, which will be used by MIA's dominant carrier, American Airlines, and its partners. The estimated completion date of the terminal is now February 2011, airport officials said.

Commissioners also approved $49 million in additional funding for the airport's South Terminal, $29 million of which is needed to finish the terminal and another $20 million to provide a reserve for the settlement of claims. The total cost of that terminal is $840.5 million.

The South Terminal's completion is essential to move airlines out of Concourse A to allow the North Terminal's construction to continue unhindered, said Max Fajardo, Miami-Dade Aviation's assistant aviation director for Facilities Management.

story here

If everyone were to speak english it might have been done on time and at half the price. But you know what they say

its cheaper to outsource
just not cheaper in the long run

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Sounds like even bigger problems than when AA was in charge of the construction project. These guys make AA's management of the construction look downright competent.

I realize that MIA is being built as a common-use airport, but the format of the flat screen monitor displays in the new D terminal is awful. Hard to look at. Unprofessional-looking. And on top of that, I'm flying AA - so I don't need to see every other airline's departures on the banks of monitors. I just wanna see the AA flights.

Sounds like even bigger problems than when AA was in charge of the construction project. These guys make AA's management of the construction look downright competent.

Well, considering the mess that AA made with it, it is a difficult task.

The MIA-ran South Concourse, especially the on-time Concurse H redesign, has ran very smoothly.