More new NW service

[SPAN class=headline][A href=http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/021218/mnw006_1.html]Northwest Airlines'' Inaugural Flight from Detroit to The Bahamas Takes Flight[/A][BR][BR][SPAN class=headline][A href=http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/021217/mntu009_1.html]Northwest Airlines Expands Service Between Detroit and Roanoke, Virginia; Jet Service Begins April 6, 2003[/A][/SPAN][/SPAN]

Here we go. Just like all the other airlines. NWA will follow suit and soon be flying all CRJs. Wow, I guess they will have to get an aircraft carrier to land on in mid pac to re-fuel. Buckle up bertha its gonna be a bumpy ride. Soon, U,UAL,AA,NWA,DAL,CAL main line guys will find themselves training in CRJs. All the years of paying dues is going to find pilots being gone from home 18 days and nights and making 10T/O's and Landings a day and making VERY low wages. Some smart guy better come up with a solution quick. This ain't what I signed up for. UUGGHH!

What are you talking about???? This announcement is of new mainline service to the Bahamas and converting prop service to RJ service in another market.

Well, it was probably a mainline airplane in the very beginning. If I am wrong then I stand corrected. I do however stand firm on facts. That is that MANY of the routes that the dc-9 has flown have been given over to the CR-Js. If you do see that you must not have been flying the domestic system in the past 5 years. I flew the 9 and have seen many of our flights given to the CR-Js. The entire industry is going to CR-Js and you cannot tell me that all those airplanes are just replacing turbo-props. America West will be flying from PHX to MEM soon in CR-Js. Oh what a great deal that is.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 1/8/2003 8:42:03 AM GraftedOne wrote:

Well, it was probably a mainline airplane in the very beginning. If I am wrong then I stand corrected. I do however stand firm on facts. That is that MANY of the routes that the dc-9 has flown have been given over to the CR-Js. If you do see that you must not have been flying the domestic system in the past 5 years. I flew the 9 and have seen many of our flights given to the CR-Js. The entire industry is going to CR-Js and you cannot tell me that all those airplanes are just replacing turbo-props. America West will be flying from PHX to MEM soon in CR-Js. Oh what a great deal that is.
----------------
[/blockquote]

ROA was NEVER a mainline city for NW, in fact a CRJ is a definite service enhancement for them, since it's always been operated by the Saab in the past.

NW has been alot slower than other airlines about replacing mainline service with CRJ's. It's happening but not at the breakneck speed of Continental or American or United or......

Quite frankly, in today's environment, many of these cities are lucky that they are able to maintain the level of service they currently have. If not for the RJ's, the airlines would most likely just axe them. You might not like it but it's a matter of economics. And I always say, the customers asked for it - now they got it... cheap tickets and multiple frequencies.

I stand corrected. You state that many citys would be axed if the crj would not go in. Well, I disagree. Everyone has a right to their own opinion. I flew to many of the citys that now have rj service and they were doing very well and still do very well but with two or three rjs instead of dc-9s. You are right, the people want cheap fares and they will get them. Many will stay on those rjs for many years including my brother. Its all about money and those that asked for rjs are getting them. Many rjs instead of one or two dc-9s. Heck, lets just fire all the major f/a's and pilots and hire commuter f/a's and pilots for less than a third the cost and add flights. I do feel sorry for those young men that spent 50k to get their ratings and more for college with the hopes of flying for a major only to fly a crj for 30 years and make low wages. Big bummer. I know I know, it could be worse, they could be digging ditches. Aviation is not what it use to be. Thank you for correcting me. I am just guessing but I dont think it will take very long before kids stop wanting to be pilots and f/a's because they see the rj pilots and f/a's being gone from home 20, 14hr days a month for low wages. I think those same kids would choose to be dentists and such. It's just a guess.

Sorry grafted, but as a paying customer, I can assure you that NW has replaced much less mainline service with RJ's. I don't count the AVRO's quite as much because of the full service product it offers. But NW hasn't done a CO and put RJ's out at 3+ hour stages. Nor have they put RJ on major routes from hubs to major population centers. Just look at CLE! I fly NW to DTW because of the terrible product CO now offers from CLE. Yeah CLE-DFW on an RJ... No thanks, I'll connect at DTW!

Are you on drugs? NWA grew the wholly-owned ASMs by over 47% last year and is actually hiring RJ pilots (at a big cost savings over mainline pilots). All the while they are cutting mainline ASMs, furloughing mainline pilots (63 more on Jan 31 by the way) and even parking some of the "low-cost" already-paid-for DC-9s. They were flying the RJ from JAX to MSP until pax complained that it was just too long of a flight to sit in an RJ. Then they put a DC-9 or Airbus on it. As an aside note, that route also bypassed 2 hubs, MEM and DTW, to get to MSP. So much for just using the RJ to "feed the hub." Tell me how you grow the WHSs ASMs by that much while cutting the mainline ASMs and not "replace" mainline flying with RJs? I'm not on the 9 any more, but there are quite a few places where I saw RJs parked at the gate right next to the 9 I was on. It may not have "replaced" mainline, but one 9 and 3 RJs don't equal two 9s if you know what I mean. You've fallen victim again, this time to amoke and mirrors. Cheers.