Navigating Using Ndb As Reference Point

Tradewind4

Aug 19, 2005
Does anyone know if it's possible to navigate using a NDB as a reference point that's not actually on your course?

Let's say,

My flight plan calls me to fly to a point 25nm northwest of the NDB bearing 300. At my current position, I'm heading 270 and my ADF shows that the NDB is directly south of me at 180. (Of courseI don't know how far from the NDB). Is it possible to navigate to the point justing just the NDB? With VOR it's easy cause I can just use the DME to tell how far away the VOR is south of me.

Here's a more difficult scenario. Same as above, except, after you fly for 5 min heading 270, you're out of the range of NDB. What do you do to get to the point?

Thanks for the help.

Tradewind4 said:
Does anyone know if it's possible to navigate using a NDB as a reference point that's not actually on your course?

Let's say,

My flight plan calls me to fly to a point 25nm northwest of the NDB bearing 300. At my current position, I'm heading 270 and my ADF shows that the NDB is directly south of me at 180. (Of courseI don't know how far from the NDB). Is it possible to navigate to the point justing just the NDB? With VOR it's easy cause I can just use the DME to tell how far away the VOR is south of me.

Here's a more difficult scenario. Same as above, except, after you fly for 5 min heading 270, you're out of the range of NDB. What do you do to get to the point?

Thanks for the help.
[post="289727"][/post]​

Use GPS Instead....!!

You could probably figure out how far from the NDB you are by timing the rate that the bearing is changing. This would not work if you are flying directly to or from the NDB. Besides, the FAA has been decommissioning NBDs pretty quickly lately.

Latest posts