New Orleans Relief Flights

boxer

Veteran
Feb 28, 2003
SFO
Visit site
Subject: UA Flt Attn - New Orleans 
Folks.... thought you would like to read the observations of a Flight Attendant who was on one of the UA relief flights. They were flown to New Orleans.... took relief workers and supplies... then shuttled from MSY to Austin and Houston, etc.

September 06, 2005 9:17 AM
Subject: New Orleans

To Everyone, This past weekend I was very fortunate to take place in the evacuation of New Orleans. I have never been more proud of United Airlines and the people that make the company what it is. I worked with the finest group of people from United Airlines, U.S. Air Marshals, local police, fire, and medical from both New Orleans, and Texas (Austin, El Paso, Houston, and Corpus Christi). 

It was heartbreaking to see the condition of the people. Not only the old but as well as the young, teenage boys that had trouble walking from shear exhaustion. I will not go into what was called upon the flight attendants to do but I will say I worked the finest, and was very proud of my team, I worked the A or 1st position or lead as you might say. They never stopped and never complained of the hours, heat, smell, work, or lack of food, Our passengers were great. They didn't know were they were going until we told them once they were on the plane. We feel about 85% had never flown before. 

There were white, black, poor and well to do, that were caught in the floods and hurricane. The airport had no jet bridges so everyone had to use the air-stairs. That means they had to go down the steps from the inside of the terminal and then up the air-stairs into the plane. On one flight we did, we had 33 wheelchairs and 7 aisle chairs. The air marshals and our personnel had to carry all of those down and up the steps. 

The airport was something out of MASH. The tent in the middle of the main terminal, all the green army cots with people all around. The sea of people outside of the terminal still waiting to get in, the masses inside all the way to the gates. I have never seen anything like it in my life and I hope there is never a need to see something like that again. Please keep all of these people in your prayers and if you are able to donate to the American Red Cross, please do so. Kathy