NW to DUB and SNN

Dec 4, 2005
From the Irish Independent newspaper, Hope it happens..

Northwest Airlines, the fourth largest airline in the US, is reported to be looking at launching a number of routes from the US to both Dublin and Shannon.

The move will come as a blow to Aer Lingus' expansion plans in the transatlantic market, according to the Irish Independent.

While consumers will welcome the extra competition, Aer Lingus will not be so happy as it derives much of its revenue from transatlantic routes.

The Irish airline has pinned much of its expansion plans on the market and is currently awaiting the completion of the Open Skies agreement to launch new routes.

The move by the US airline, which enjoys Chapter 11 protection from bankruptcy, comes at a bad time for Aer Lingus as it faces increased competition from Ryanair on the majority of its short-haul routes and awaits government clearance to float on the stock exchange.

As well as being the fourth largest carrier in the US, Northwest lays claim to being the fifth largest carrier in the world.

Northwest already has hubs at Amsterdam, Detroit, Memphis, Minneapolis/St Paul and Tokyo, but continues to rack up huge losses.

Last month it reported a USD1.1bn loss for Q1, 2006, up from USD529m in the same period last year. The Minneapolis-based airline is looking to Europe to offset domestic losses.

757's????????????

Anyone know any more details???

From the Irish Independent newspaper, Hope it happens..

Northwest Airlines, the fourth largest airline in the US, is reported to be looking at launching a number of routes from the US to both Dublin and Shannon.
Can't think of a Lovelier place to be left stranded by SCABAIR! :p

My parents went to Ireland via NW back when it was called Northwest Orient. Back in the day.

I didn't realize NW no longer flew there.
I am not privy to all the details, but the 787 varient we are supposed to pick up in 08 has an 8000 mile leg. Rumor has it we will open several new routes to best utilise this capability.
"An Irishman is nothing more than a lost Scot, to drunk to find the right Island". -Corporal Andy, Royal regiment of Wales, Hong kong, 1990

"An Irishman is nothing more than a lost Scot, to drunk to find the right Island". -Corporal Andy, Royal regiment of Wales, Hong kong, 1990
"The English are not happy unless they are miserable, the Irish are not at peace unless they are at war, and the Scots are not at home unless they are abroad." ~ George Orwell

So ye guys reckon a 757 out of BOS, lot of competition on that route already!.

Is it true that NW employees have to pay to non-rev??

So ye guys reckon a 757 out of BOS, lot of competition on that route already!.

Is it true that NW employees have to pay to non-rev??

Right befroe the strike nwa changed their non-rev policy and began a once a year charge for flying. Maybe Kev could help me out here but I think it was $200 per family. We still had a fee for first class but not for coach. Parents still paid a higher premium on coach and first class.
If you only had one person on your non-rev list then the charge was $50.

Right befroe the strike nwa changed their non-rev policy and began a once a year charge for flying. Maybe Kev could help me out here but I think it was $200 per family. We still had a fee for first class but not for coach. Parents still paid a higher premium on coach and first class.
If you only had one person on your non-rev list then the charge was $50.
That is correct, Don. Its a 50 dollar surcharge per traveler, paid at the time of registration, up to a max of 200 dollars.This is good for the calender year. We also pay about 17 dollars for coach per trip, and 30something for first class. Unlike PTO, I have had very good sucess flying non-rev for me and my family, and consider it money well spent.

Latest posts