Obamas' "free choice act"

lpbrian

Veteran
Mar 7, 2004
Now that Barack Obama is elected president, he will now repay the unions for their support and pass the "Employee Free Choice Act". My question is, does this affect RLA industries? I always thought RLA industries were governed by a seperate set of laws. Any experts?

Now that Barack Obama is elected president, he will now repay the unions for their support and pass the "Employee Free Choice Act". My question is, does this affect RLA industries? I always thought RLA industries were governed by a seperate set of laws. Any experts?
I'm not an expert but I'm pretty sure that it would. I don't believe
the RLA penalizes any industry in regards to organizing. It is
mainly concerned about union activities after organizing. As someone
in a union in FS I can tell you that this new law would help us out greatly.
One of the biggest problems facing organized FS is the contract worker
who may be very tempted to cross picket lines. I don't know if this law
will pass as currently written but anything would be a big help.

As I understand it the big problem with voting after the card campaign is
that it must pass by a majority of the work force not just a majority
of those voting. If they only allowed that in a normal vote for say some
new law nothing would pass. Imagine in say California trying to pass something
that required a majority of everyone over 18 years old, not just those registered
voters.

To say the current rule is anti union is an understatement. It's anti democratic.

Does a union really think people like me are going to vote for it just because my vote will be made public ?.................Brahahaw

They're no better than Big Brother !

BTW................your about to see the demise of the UAW.............I'll be damned if I want my Tax dollars bailing out , already contacted my local Senators on the matter, Corporate mis-management and over-paid union peeps, who don't want to put anything on the table to help save their jobs ! :down:

I'm not an expert but I'm pretty sure that it would. I don't believe
the RLA penalizes any industry in regards to organizing. It is
mainly concerned about union activities after organizing. As someone
in a union in FS I can tell you that this new law would help us out greatly.
One of the biggest problems facing organized FS is the contract worker
who may be very tempted to cross picket lines. I don't know if this law
will pass as currently written but anything would be a big help.

As I understand it the big problem with voting after the card campaign is
that it must pass by a majority of the work force not just a majority
of those voting. If they only allowed that in a normal vote for say some
new law nothing would pass. Imagine in say California trying to pass something
that required a majority of everyone over 18 years old, not just those registered
voters.

To say the current rule is anti union is an understatement. It's anti democratic.

On the contrary the EFCA as it is written is the most un-democratic piece of legislation. Since when has the democratic process ever subject its voters to reveal who they voted publicly? Subjecting the voter to intimidation by both sides?

Its hypocrite that the dems want this passed but at the same time held secret ballot for the recent Lieberman Vote.

MODERATOR NOTE: Posting entire articles is not allowed as it can be a violation of copyright law. Posting a link with a fair use excerpt is fine.

Does a union really think people like me are going to vote for it just because my vote will be made public ?.................Brahahaw

BTW................your about to see the demise of the UAW.............I'll be damned if I want my Tax dollars bailing out , already contacted my local Senators on the matter, Corporate mis-management and over-paid union peeps, who don't want to put anything on the table to help save their jobs ! :down:
Do you really think that by not supporting the Employee Free Choice Act that you'll be more independent from big brother ?
American workers have been hamstrung in union organizing campaigns by the red tape that gives companies months before an actual election to use all sorts of methods including psychological manipulation to undermine the campaign. The EFCA will cut through that.
Capitalism is fine,as long as it's tempered with workers rights. Without a populace of people that have money in their pockets to buy the capitlist's products,we'll be nothing more than another Chinese or Mexican, or Columbian third world country. Is that what you want for your children?

Go to Detroit where the city looks like a third world country, and the realestate market is in such shambles that getting your home appraised is nearly impossible because there's so little activity in the market, and tell auto workers that they haven't given.
With a statement like you just made,I don't think I could have less respect for another human being. You have no objectivity. You obviously have no respect for fellow Americans trying to earn a living. GM, Ford, and chrysler have provided products that every man could be proud of,because they were American made. It's our government and people like you that pushed for foreign products from countries that hate the U.S.,to be imported.
Treasonous bastards the whole lot of you.

I've got two more things to say to you... "Hungry ? Eat your foreign effin car" and "If you don't care about all Americans, you don't care about America"

Go to Detroit where the city looks like a third world country, and the realestate market is in such shambles that getting your home appraised is nearly impossible because there's so little activity in the market, and tell auto workers that they haven't given.
With a statement like you just made,I don't think I could have less respect for another human being. You have no objectivity. You obviously have no respect for fellow Americans trying to earn a living. GM, Ford, and chrysler have provided products that every man could be proud of,because they were American made. It's our government and people like you that pushed for foreign products from countries that hate the U.S.,to be imported.

I've got two more things to say to you... "Hungry ? Eat your foreign effin car" and "If you don't care about all Americans, you don't care about America"

And the UAW cared so much about Americans they instilled a death grip on the auto industry leading us to where we are today. :down:

On the contrary the EFCA as it is written is the most un-democratic piece of legislation. Since when has the democratic process ever subject its voters to reveal who they voted publicly? Subjecting the voter to intimidation by both sides?

Its hypocrite that the dems want this passed but at the same time held secret ballot for the recent Lieberman Vote.

You have no idea what democracy is. You support a trade and labor agenda that supports the elitite of communist China, Mexico, Columbia and other third world nations. Communism and fascism is what you're about. To you "democracy" is a word to throw around to try and manipulate people. Your"ilk" is all about democracy for the wealthy. But when it comes to democracy for everyone else, we're fair game. Thats who you are. You reflect and practice elitism that uses fascism and effective communism to subjugate human beings for the amusement of a class of people that think it's okay to hoard trillions of dollars while others starve. To say your statement is sickening, does'nt do it justice.

The other day at work,in the break room was the latest Forbes Magazine. The issue had the Forbes 400. The Forbes 400 used to be 400 millionaires. No now it's 400 billionaires. Immortalized is how they appeared. Discusting is how I would describe it. 400 bastards that have participated in looting American workers. And you describe what they do as "democracy".

this free choice act IS undemocratic ... and it stems from one issue and one issue alone

voting is to be private , that's one of the most basic tenants of our society .... once you get in the booth , your decsion is your own .... why anyone in the world would want to make this public makes no sense to me ... it's an outrage ...

now do i think it's hard for unions to organize , yes i do , should it be made easier ? absolutely ....

You have no idea what democracy is. You support a trade and labor agenda that supports the elitite of communist China, Mexico, Columbia and other third world nations. Communism and fascism is what you're about. To you "democracy" is a word to throw around to try and manipulate people. Your"ilk" is all about democracy for the wealthy. But when it comes to democracy for everyone else, we're fair game. Thats who you are. You reflect and practice elitism that uses fascism and effective communism to subjugate human beings for the amusement of a class of people that think it's okay to hoard trillions of dollars while others starve. To say your statement is sickening, does'nt do it justice.

The other day at work,in the break room was the latest Forbes Magazine. The issue had the Forbes 400. The Forbes 400 used to be 400 millionaires. No now it's 400 billionaires. Immortalized is how they appeared. Discusting is how I would describe it. 400 bastards that have participated in looting American workers. And you describe what they do as "democracy".

Apparently you have some unresolved issues unrelated to the topic at hand. The EFCA isnt going to save the world as you may think it will. Theres no better argument for mediocrity then forced union membership.

Apparently you have some unresolved issues unrelated to the topic at hand. The EFCA isnt going to save the world as you may think it will. Theres no better argument for mediocrity then forced union membership.
Yes I have an unresolved issue... I don't like snobs,and you are a snob. Mediocrity? Talk about mediocrity. Look at the board rooms of coporate America.

You obviously have no respect for fellow Americans trying to earn a living. GM, Ford, and chrysler have provided products that every man could be proud of,because they were American made.

Dude UAW is about to get shook down just like all the airlines...and you know what? The employees and the union will agree to renegotiated agreements in hopes of saving as many jobs as possible.

It's our government and people like you that pushed for foreign products from countries that hate the U.S.,to be imported.

Beg to digress on your open minded discussion....but if you look into facts there Union AMT...I think the reason manufacturers moved to third world countries was due to the lure of little if any taxes and extremely low wages and lots of people willing to work for those low wages.

Curious....where's your TV and stereo,cell phone and clothing you bought made,Pal?

Your EFCA isn't about you and your union.....its about all those unorganized big box stores,they'll take losses at the airlines and auto manufacturers all the while looking to recoup bigger bucks with fresh organizing.

#1...........I drive a "FORD" pick-up and have owned a Ford for 18 years ! And a Pontiac and a Chevy and the list goes on. I buy American when given the oppotunity.

What rice-burner is sitting in your driveway ? :shock:

#2............You "CANNOT" compete when your paying an employee $70.00 an hour to install a bolt and your competitor is paying their employee $35.00 an hour , to install the same bolt................called economics !

#3..............And I'll say it again. I'll be damned if I want "MY" money bailing out people who get paid to do "NOTHING", just because it's in a contract and that includes "UNION PEEPS" and CEO's !

Determined Not to Make News, Emanuel Speaks of ‘Era of Reform’
WSJ ARTICLE

President-elect Barack Obama’s new chief of staff, Rahm Emanuel, spoke of the Era of Reform, offering few details but working to shape the narrative of the next administration.

Later Emanuel responded to a question on the Employee Free Choice Act, a measure backed by organized labor but strongly opposed by business, saying, “Let me take your question and go somewhere else.â€￾ Instead, he spoke about the need to address falling income among middle class workers.

Translation: Sorry unions your SOL, but thanks for the 80+Mill in campaign contributions to help get into office :up: .

My Honda probably has more American content in it than the last Chrysler I bought, which apparently had a Canadian engine and was assembled in Mexico.

It's also never been recalled, and has only needed regular service...

The UAW is digging their own grave. Statistics showing that their overall pay/benefits are $78 vs. $48 for the Saturn/Honda/Toyota/Nissan workers in the US doing the same job (better) aren't helping their case. Nor are their public statements asking for a bailout but offering nothing in return.

The result? Public opinion (the thing which gets Congress-critters re-elected) is so far against the bailout that they don't dare offer anything right now. And I don't think they will after the Appointed One is inaugurated.

No, I suspect the UAW will be the first of many (labor and white collar alike) who wind up sacrificed at the Altar of Progressiveness and Wealth-Sharing.

Back