PDT at PHL--Nightmare-the Final Chapter

Mark,

Thank you for your kind words. I can agree that the problem might have been found in a preflight check, but most crews are out at the airplane more than 10 minutes prior to boarding. This airplane sat idle for 2 hours after arriving from ISP. Also, if there were a bad switch, one would think it would have shown some symptoms on the inbound segment, which should have attracted attention. Bear in mind these are assumptions, not knowledge. Although I am a pilot and knowledgeable in electronics I have no idea what type of radios are used on the Dash 8.

I saw that Allegheny will take up all the flying between ISP and PHL shortly. The up side is we get the 9:15AM flight changed back to 6AM so I can make early connections. The down side is I still have to deal with Terminal F. I flew this morning LGA-PIT-FLL without a glitch. I am sorry you couldn't meet me Mark--1253 arrived 20 min early too!

Phllax, this all occurred around 9:40AM on Saturday. The next LGA flight was at 12:45, and was supposedly sold out (37 seats). We had 50 people on this flight. Also they told us the 2PM to ISP was sold out (it wasn't). They only offered the HPN flight and a nightmare drive. I did the only thing I could with a crying kid and rented the car. I got home before anyone on that flight did, I can assure you.

Finally, I will say that staying with US or not is now up to Crystal City. I am going to give them every opportunity to do the right thing here.

Thanks for the info my friends and as always my best wishes to you.

Nice comments Art. While you were experiencing the debacle at PHL on Sat. morning, I spent three days in the air going from RDU to DCA, then DCA to LGA, and then back to DCA for dinner with friends and then back to RDU the next day for work. Four 737 flights and a pair of Shuttle flights all without a hitch and great crews. I thanked the crew when getting off one flight an the pilot said "thanks, it's been our pleasure..."

I think it's time for Crystal City to decide now. A few other airlines semi-matched the US new policies on stand-by and non-refundable fare restrictions for future use but no other airline has matched US's policy regarding "only full fare counts for Preferred status". If this remains the case, I fear there will be a lot of folks defecting. I'll have no choice but to be one of them. Once again the marketing geniuses at CCY!

[:knockout:]

----------------
On 9/3/2002 12:44:17 PM:

Mesa will be taking over all intra-Florida routes in Nov.
----------------

I think that Mesa second guessed themselves. They initially agreed to take over intra-Florida markets, but after analyzing all the markets (and after the annoucnement, I might add), they decided against going head to head with low fare airlines (TLH-TPA Airtran, TPA-JAX Soutwest). They seem to be continuing the Bahamas and Key West flying. But that's about it!

Geo,

Thanks for the comment. I spent today travelling LGA-PIT-FLL, and had a great experience. I also thanked each flight crew and remarked on their excellent service--they genuinely appreciated the comment coming from a Chairman's Preferred member.

I have only a small problem with the new restrictions on non refundable tickets. I have a major problem with the new accrual policy. I would not be surprised if it is rescinded by week end.

Like I said, Crystal City's response to my letter is key......I can fly brand new jungle jets to BOS on AA or go back to DL-- I am sure they would be both glad to have me.....especially since I have already flown 100 segments and it's only September 3....

"I have only a small problem with the new restrictions on non refundable tickets. I have a major problem with the new accrual policy. I would not be surprised if it is rescinded by week end."

Agreed. I've always seen flying stand-by as an "at the will of the airline" situation. If I finished my business and got to the airport early and was able to get on an earlier flight, well, I always saw that as good for me (home earlier) AND good for the airline (the quicker I'm in the system and on my way, the less chance I have of being stranded if there are weather or mechanical issues). Tightening the policies on non-refundable standy-by's makes sense to stop those people who use their status (on any airline) and non-refundable fares to get the same "flexibility" as a full, refundable fare. That is fine with me.

I personally think the non-refundable fare "use it or loose it" policy will be adjusted as well. I would love to be a fly on the wall one Saturday afternoon at FLL when Carnival Cruise Lines unloads their 1,500 passengers a few hours late and 500 of them converge on the US check-in desk to find they have no way to get home because their 12:30 pm flight to CLT has gone and it's 3 pm!!!! Repeat the same scenario over at the AA desk and we might see a riot at FLL on CNN!

As for the "no preferred miles on non-refundable fares" policy, it will only take a couple of weeks before I start flying AA RJ's non-stop to/from DCA instead of Dash-8's and connection through CLT. [:(]