Pilot Agreement Has Been Reached

WorldTraveler

Corn Field
Dec 5, 2003
The Wall Street Journal and my Delta contacts are reporting that a tentative pilot agreement has been reached.

Despite all the pessimism and prophecies of Delta's bankruptcy and doom, the Delta pilots asked Delta to do the right thing - and ALPA responded.

My commendations go to all of the pilots at Delta. Never before has one group at one airline given up as much as DALPA is doing. Granted, the proverbial gun was at their head but there have been many instances in the airline industry where machismo has overruled rationality.

We still have not heard about the debt restructuring as I write but it is very doubtful that Delta would have gone as far with the restructuring plan if obtaining the debt concessions was not possible.

The pilot agreement certainly doesn't solve Delta's problems but it certainly provides a very sound framework from which the company can work.

The competitive environment has changed even in the last 24 hours - perhaps to Delta's benefit. AirTran hinted that they might pull some planes out of Atlanta in order to get their Chicago operation up and running. Independence's financial results indicate their business plan must dramatically change which will limit their ability to trash fares up and down the east coast as they have done for several months.

Congratulations to all the good folks at Delta.

WorldTraveler said:
The Wall Street Journal and my Delta contacts are reporting that a tentative pilot agreement has been reached.

Despite all the pessimism and prophecies of Delta's bankruptcy and doom, the Delta pilots asked Delta to do the right thing - and ALPA responded.

My commendations go to all of the pilots at Delta. Never before has one group at one airline given up as much as DALPA is doing. Granted, the proverbial gun was at their head but there have been many instances in the airline industry where machismo has overruled rationality.

We still have not heard about the debt restructuring as I write but it is very doubtful that Delta would have gone as far with the restructuring plan if obtaining the debt concessions was not possible.

The pilot agreement certainly doesn't solve Delta's problems but it certainly provides a very sound framework from which the company can work.

The competitive environment has changed even in the last 24 hours - perhaps to Delta's benefit. AirTran hinted that they might pull some planes out of Atlanta in order to get their Chicago operation up and running. Independence's financial results indicate their business plan must dramatically change which will limit their ability to trash fares up and down the east coast as they have done for several months.

Congratulations to all the good folks at Delta.
[post="195570"][/post]​

I hope you're right WT, but all that you said sounds familiar. Good luck.

WorldTraveler said:
Never before has one group at one airline given up as much as DALPA is doing.
[post="195570"][/post]​

...nor has anyone stuck it to the company as long as DALPA. What happened to UA +1???

Well, I for one had doubts that Delta would avoid Chap 11. I'm glad I was wrong. WT, much credit to you. You have stuck to your guns and so far have been right. :up: To all the Delta folk, good luck, this industry needs some good news once in a while. :) Now lets hope management can do something with the opportunity that its greatest asset has just given them.

Thank you, Skyhungry. The only way a deal would not have been done is if the pilots had not been logical in recognizing what they faced. That has happened before in this industry but I think John Malone's comment as reported today that, "this was the best alternative" is correct. Each party was backed into the corner and that is not a good position from which to negotiate.

flyhigh said:
...nor has anyone stuck it to the company as long as DALPA. What happened to UA +1???
[post="195651"][/post]​

Oh get over it fly. I have a feeling you will somehow still blame the pilots years from now. You are management right? You have your 1 billion,... now do your job. We are all watching.