Pilot Died after Takeoff

BuffaloJoe

Veteran
Aug 17, 2005
Visit site
McALLEN, Texas (AP) -- The pilot of a Continental Airlines flight became ill after takeoff and was later pronounced dead after the plane made an emergency landing Saturday, a company spokeswoman said.

The 210 passengers on the flight, which departed from Houston, Texas, were never in danger and the co-pilot landed the plane safely, Continental spokeswoman Macky Osorio said.

The airline said only that the pilot suffered a "serious medical problem." Continental believes the pilot died of natural causes, Osorio said. The pilot's name was not released.

The flight, bound for Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, took off from Houston's George Bush Intercontinental Airport and was diverted to McAllen-Miller International Airport.

The flight continued to Mexico with a new crew, Osorio said.

May He Rest in Peace

The airline said only that the pilot suffered a "serious medical problem." Continental believes the pilot died of natural causes, Osorio said. The pilot's name was not released.

The CAL B-757 Captain was 59 yrs old and died of 'natural causes' in flight. The check airman in the right seat had to transfer the body from the left seat and was then able to land all passengers safely.

It may have been a very different news headline under any other type of adverse condition. Such as, severe weather, aircraft emergency, engine failure....

- WHO WANTS TO CHANGE THE FAA AGE 60 RULE???

The CAL B-757 Captain was 59 yrs old and died of 'natural causes' in flight. The check airman in the right seat had to transfer the body from the left seat and was then able to land all passengers safely.
It may have been a very different news headline under any other type of adverse condition. Such as, severe weather, aircraft emergency, engine failure....

- WHO WANTS TO CHANGE THE FAA AGE 60 RULE???
You're right! This is proof positive that the age limit should be 58. Or, better yet, lets mandate personal trainers and diet/exercise regimens for those over 40. Or even better, lets look at the autopsy results for the last 100 years in this country, find the age of the youngest person that Continental Airlines said died of "natural causes", and make that the limit. The only thing more ridiculous than your giving credence to an airline's supposition as to the cause of death, is your macabre use of that person's death to make a personal point. This pilot may well have died due to natural causes. Can't you wait for the official results from an autopsy before making a fool of yourself? For the record, I have 21 years left before I retire, and my seniority would stagnate if the retirement age was increased. I am still in favor of increasing the limit because I have no doubt that the flying public as well as myself would benefit from the knowledge and skills that 60+ yr. old pilots possess.

I have no doubt that the flying public as well as myself would benefit from the knowledge and skills that 60+ yr. old pilots possess.
[/quote]

So, why stop at 65 yrs. Maybe you could push the redline to 75 yrs??? You will learn nothing from a 65+ pilot, except that all those Trans-Pac crossings and red-eye flights are way too much for MOST pilots of that age. I have a feeling that you do very little Int'l flying or you would have to agree my friend...age does play a factor.

I have no doubt that the flying public as well as myself would benefit from the knowledge and skills that 60+ yr. old pilots possess.
So, why stop at 65 yrs. Maybe you could push the redline to 75 yrs??? You will learn nothing from a 65+ pilot, except that all those Trans-Pac crossings and red-eye flights are way too much for MOST pilots of that age. I have a feeling that you do very little Int'l flying or you would have to agree my friend...age does play a factor.
Indeed, why? I, as a crewmember or as a passenger, would rather have one at the controls who demonstrates through physicals, checkrides, linechecks, etc., the ability to safely pilot an airplane. I don't presume that because of age (too old OR too young) that someone can't do their job. I'm all for increasing the frequency and scope of physical examinations for 60+ yr. old pilots to satisfy those with doubts. I don't do a lot of int'l flying, unless you consider Miami a foreign country. What's your point? If this pilot had died while flying between Houston and Boise, would your opinion be different? Does everyone who flies int'l agree with you? Finally, I'm not so snide as to think I will "learn nothing from a 65+ pilot". As PIC, I know I can, should, and will learn something from most that I work with; their age has nothing to do with it. When I quit thinking this, I'm in trouble, as perhaps you are.

Just heard about this, and I'm certainly saddened by the news. However, this jogged a thought I have tossed around for the past few years -- Are there any policies in place in the event BOTH pilots become incapacitated during active duty?

While I have no knowledge of the emergency policies at most airlines, I somehow believe that such an occurrence is rarely considered or factored into the operations of most airlines.

Although such an event is unlikely, I wouldn't rule it out -- anything is possible.

Just heard about this, and I'm certainly saddened by the news. However, this jogged a thought I have tossed around for the past few years -- Are there any policies in place in the event BOTH pilots become incapacitated during active duty?

Yes, say your prayers.

The problem with the age 60 rule is that some of the 60 year olds may be healthier than some of the 40 year olds.

Perhaps a better policy would be enable pilots who wish to fly longer to apply for a permit. The permit would have be renewed annually and they would have to pass a rigorous physical.

This way the age 60 rule could be maintained (thus keeping wages up) but those who are in exceptional condition can still fly if they want to. It would also allow those who are forced to resart their their careers get back into the left seat of the biggest plane.

Yes, say your prayers.

The problem with the age 60 rule is that some of the 60 year olds may be healthier than some of the 40 year olds.

Perhaps a better policy would be enable pilots who wish to fly longer to apply for a permit. The permit would have be renewed annually and they would have to pass a rigorous physical.

This way the age 60 rule could be maintained (thus keeping wages up) but those who are in exceptional condition can still fly if they want to. It would also allow those who are forced to resart their their careers get back into the left seat of the biggest plane.
What would you suggest? We already get a physical every six months with an EKG once per year!
This is why there are two pilots in the cockpit.
Extremely rare but it could happen- even to a twenty year old.

What would you suggest? We already get a physical every six months with an EKG once per year!
This is why there are two pilots in the cockpit.
Extremely rare but it could happen- even to a twenty year old.
The fact is some pilots want it raised while others dont.

Me personally, I'd like to see age 60 applied to AMTs as well, this way AMTs would be more focused on attaining max compensation since our window for working is limited.

PB, of course we all feel for the pilots family but no name was released so obviously the family wants privacy. The discussion is really more about the risks that the loss of a pilot exposes to everyone else and what to do about it not about this individual. I dont see where that would upset the family of the pilot and I doubt that at this time they are surfing the web.

There but for the Grace of God go anyone of us.

Instead of debating the mandatory retirement age, perhaps it's time to realize that he most likely a Husband, Father, Uncle, Grandfather and lastly a pilot.

Would you want his wife to read your diatribes?

Would he be less dead if he died on the ground?

I agree. They may not be reading on here, but its a human loss.

And you know what it could happen to anyone. My friend got a heart attack while livin' it up at the motel. I know there is no realation but he was only 27 years old :( . So basicly it could happen to anyone anywhere.

My prayers go out to the pilot and family :closedeyes: .

There but for the Grace of God go anyone of us.

Instead of debating the mandatory retirement age, perhaps it's time to realize that he most likely a Husband, Father, Uncle, Grandfather and lastly a pilot.

Would you want his wife to read your diatribes?

Would he be less dead if he died on the ground?

Well put PB. May the good Captain Rest in Peace on his final flight!

There is no medical evidence that makes 60 the cutoff, nor 65 as has been proposed.

Base the decision on science, not emotion or economics. I'd support rigorous physical testing of those over 60 by FAA Docs, not buddies who pass morbidly obese 40 year olds.